Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
CA Department of Fish and Wildlife (game) will no longer accept cash for a fishing license.
I find this hard to swallow -- government agencies that will not accept legal tender that a government agencies printed.
Mods delete this if you want but since (CDFW) might issue dredging permits just wanted
to show how bass ackwards things are.
http://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Licensing/Fishing#44521415-items--fees

Last edited:
Upvote 0

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What the hey???? Maybe that's a way to cover for shortages in the cash till without consequences.:laughing7:

Last edited:
T

Tuolumne

shoot have you seen the size and length of the DFW abalone permit they print out? There are used to over regulated permits and things:)

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This “no-cash policy” will improve customer and employee safety, department efficiency, customer service and provide cost savings. Accepting cash payments is costly in both the staff time it takes to process and in armored car services.

It does at least sound like a logical decision ....This time.

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cash is slowly going to be phased out of the economy. Wouldn't be suprised if at one point they announce that you need to turn over all cash to banks or other government collection agencies by a certain date or be stuck with tender that is no longer legal.

All under the guise of cost savings, eliminating the need to print/destroy money, prevent counterfeit money, etc. And then force people to pay taxes on everything they earn because they eliminate the ability to do cash transactions under the counter. Thus creating more tax revenue to fund social services.

OP
OP
Bodfish Mike

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
Cash is slowly going to be phased out of the economy. Wouldn't be suprised if at one point they announce that you need to turn over all cash to banks or other government collection agencies by a certain date or be stuck with tender that is no longer legal.

All under the guise of cost savings, eliminating the need to print/destroy money, prevent counterfeit money, etc. And then force people to pay taxes on everything they earn because they eliminate the ability to do cash transactions under the counter. Thus creating more tax revenue to fund social services.
I sure hope your wrong --- but yes Digital Money might be coming. bitcoin comes to mind

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Currency will be around much longer than anyone reading this. Wally World, Cinco Grande and Joes Bait Bullets and Hardware will still take your Greenbacks. Don't fret.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
When I was still living in Commiefornia I'd always get my fishing license as close to Jan 1 as possible. I also remember when a resident license was all of $10. That they run from Jan 1 to Dec 31 is a crock. Every other state I've lived in they're good for a year from the date of purchase. Looking at the prices of a non-resident license now I guess I won't be doing any fishing in Commiefornia any time soon. LOL... And y'all wonder why I moved out of "paradise". NOT!!!!!

ProspectorJay

Greenie
Sep 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does at least sound like a logical decision ....This time.

Please, they're all LEO. If they can't do a cash drop at the end of day like many small businesses do every single day with their firearm on their hip while in uniform, we've got a bigger problem in California than I thought.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was still living in Commiefornia I'd always get my fishing license as close to Jan 1 as possible. I also remember when a resident license was all of $10. That they run from Jan 1 to Dec 31 is a crock. Every other state I've lived in they're good for a year from the date of purchase. Looking at the prices of a non-resident license now I guess I won't be doing any fishing in Commiefornia any time soon. LOL... And y'all wonder why I moved out of "paradise". NOT!!!!!
My Birfday is Jan 15th. My awesome wife got me my fishing license this year. A few years back she got it for Christmas the brainiac at the counter
sold her that years license. She was pretty bummed when I figured it out.

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The astronomical cost of a non resident commercial fishing license and salmon permit renewal forced me to give up on what was once a lucrative business. You had to renew every year or lose it. (money grubbing Kalkommies). It got to the point it wasn't cost effective mainly due to the season cutbacks so rather pay to renew I got the satisfaction of letting it go and not giving the kalkommies my hard earned money. P.S. I loved California back in '62 when I lived in Amador City, today not so much.

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hostility in this thread seems somewhat unreasonable.

Maybe it's more of a geographical issue with the no cash thing? Is there actually a city that has a field office and no other place to purchase a license?

Walmart along with many sporting goods stores will gladly take your cash if need be.

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too many did NOT read what that statement from DFW says. It only applies to their own licensing centers and Kiosks. Cash is accepted at all other licensing agencies. Cash transactions incur additional costs: 1: the need for deposits into an account, 2: armored car service (since government employees can't be trusted to to carry cash owned by the State.

Is this really an issue? Likely 95%+ buy their licenses online anyway so there is never any cash transaction to discuss.

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Mikep691 is correct. It only applies to their offices not to all of the sporting goods stores you probably buy from anyway. A bunch of folks by on-line as well using credit/debit cards.

SunshineMiner

Jun 2, 2014
Someplace Sunny, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
2: armored car service (since government employees can't be trusted to to carry cash owned by the State.

I find this pretty damn sad considering state employees for CAL FIRE at engineer lvl or higher get a state credit card for fuel/food/hotels... but then again.. cops always needed someone to look up too :laughing7:

edit: its ALL documented though, so its pretty hard to abuse it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread