110v pond pump vs 12v bilge pump

n01d3x

Apr 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a blue bowl and am ordering a gold hog multi sluice. I primary use/will use both in my garage for cons. I have a 12v bilge pump for my blue bowl running off a battery. I don't have a charger and now the battery is dead. I don't see many people running 110v pond pumps with these type of systems and am wondering why not? You can get 1200 gph 110v pond pumps for between $50 and $100 depending on brand. Is there any problem with going this route?

Upvote 0

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Cheaper to get yourself a charger....... Keep it attached to the battery when you are running and you will almost never have another problem with your battery.
Not to mention it will keep you mobile too. Need a dang long extension cord at camp to use a pond pump.......:laughing7:

OP
OP
N

n01d3x

Apr 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pond pumps are a lot better quality than the cheap bilge pumps. By the time you buy a pump, a battery and a charger it is no where near cheaper. I would have to buy a bigger pump for the multi sluice and a charger. Instead I could just buy a pond pump for less money and use it on both. I don't need it to be portable. I'm just wondering if there is something specific about pond pumps that make them not ideal for this use?

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing is wrong with them per se as long as the pressure and water flow is adequate for your objective. You stated you already have 12v pumps so you won't have to buy that again. You stated you were looking to spend $50 - $100 so you could buy a portable power source ie jump pack, or a converter for half of your stated lowest price. AND you would have the added value of useful for other things. Or you could buy 1200 gph pump and jump pack near your lowest stated price and do what has proven to already work well

Your question, we just answered it

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
If this is going to be a home based system then your on the right track....It's just that I thought everybody had a better charger......:dontknow:

They are cheap and you don't need much of a battery when used together.

Sorry I can't be of more help on your pond pump search... the only ones I have seen would be WAY too small. and the cost of one that is big enough may be more than the yard sale battery charger and a small Battery would be.

Good luck, I'm sure someone will have some additional info for you.

Have you priced any pond pumps yet? Because those that I just did a quick search for ain't gonna do it for you....

Your going to need a 1200 GPH pump minimum. I think Doc calls for an 1100 GPH pump for the multi-sluice... Don't know about the blue bowl.. never used one.

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Be safe, if you use an Ac pump plug it into a GFI socket, "Ground Fault Interrupter" It could save your life.

OP
OP
N

n01d3x

Apr 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pump that I have for the blue bowl is only 700 gph I think, so even if I didn't go with a pond pump I'd still have to buy another 12v pump and a charger. I'm thinking about this one:
1200 GPH Pond Pump Adjustable Submersible Inline Fountain Waterfall Koi Filter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C5P56VA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_DkxJyb1P5JYV6
It has an adjustable flow rate and 13' max lift.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to admit.... That does look like a pretty good pump... I like the adjustable flow control too....
1200 GPH is good for the multi sluice and the adjustability is good for the blue bowl.....
Yup... just might work.

Like et1955 said though.... Be extremely careful with the shock potential.... the 60 cycle shuffle is no fun.

Last edited:

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Battery power is intended to be portable. If you are setting up in the garage, a pond pump is the way to go.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about a 120-12 volt converter. Any RV supplier will carry it.

You must mean a rectifier.

Radio shack used to sell rectifiers but now they just sell phones and rc toys.

Grainger Industrial supply sells a very nice rectifier for about $130.

Edit- here is the kind to get for a little bilge pump-
https://www.grainger.com/product/GR...8?breadcrumbCatId=2204&functionCode=P2IDP2PCP

Less than $20

Edit #2 IMPORTANT SAFTEY TIP- use your GFI (ground fault interrupter).

Last edited:

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The pump that I have for the blue bowl is only 700 gph I think, so even if I didn't go with a pond pump I'd still have to buy another 12v pump and a charger. I'm thinking about this one:
1200 GPH Pond Pump Adjustable Submersible Inline Fountain Waterfall Koi Filter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C5P56VA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_DkxJyb1P5JYV6

That lift is impressive and it would be my replacement pump for my high banker which is a stay at home sluice. It's also about $20 cheaper and it would be easy to build a screen cage around it. Good thinking outside the box! :icon_thumright:

Last edited:

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

https://www.grainger.com/product/GR...8?breadcrumbCatId=2204&functionCode=P2IDP2PCP

Less than $20

Ac/DC power converter is what I should have said. And yes definitely plug it into a GFCI (ground fault control interrupter)
View attachment IMG_20170129_083358380.jpg

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Less than $20

Ac/DC power converter is what I should have said. And yes definitely plug it into a GFCI (ground fault control interrupter)
View attachment 1408173
Lowe's has one for under 30.00$

Last edited:

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looks like a nice pump. In your scenario I'd imagine it's probably your best option.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use an old 120v pool pump for my recirc concentrator sluice. It was free. I use a 12v set up for my blue bowl because it was cheaper than the equal pond pump. The pool pump has built in GFI

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Just remember , when using a larger pump and valve combo to get the right effect your looking for with a blue bowl , with the set speed of the pump ,when you valve down the pumps output , you automatically increase the PSI output of the flow .

OP
OP
N

n01d3x

Apr 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the flow control works by slowing the pump down I don't think it will increase the psi too much. If it's just opening and closing a valve I'm sure it would. Depends on how the flow control on this pump works I guess. I ordered one so we will see. I'm looking for an inline gph meter now, though they all seem to be too expensive. I might just have to gauge where it is on the dial and how well it's working instead of an actual meter.

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A gallon jug and some some math will give you an idea. 1200gph would take roughly 3 seconds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread