If you could prospect anywhere in the United States....

crumbaker

Feb 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Other than Alaska where would you go?

I'm in a situation where around October I will have the money, no gf/wife and be out of my lease. I'm trying to start a 3d modeling(video game stuff) career which I can freelance anywhere. I will be using a highbanker with a bilge pump that can be operated off site in a tub or directly in the river/creek. Will be looking at public places or making deals with people that own claims/joining a mining group with multiple.

I was thinking I could try some places east of Sacramento, but I'm having trouble narrowing down a specific place. Would run the highbanker in a tub the appropriate distance away. I also have a metal detector so I thought that area would be good for that also. Anyway if anyone has any other suggestions I'm open to hearing them. I am able to go anywhere really within the lower 48.

Upvote 0

infotraker

Dec 20, 2013
Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
California is the place, north and South American river in the open areas. Yankee jims, ponderosa, bear river, above folsom lake on south fork towards Coloma. All year long prospecting.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yellowstone. There should be something there with all the rhyolite and all the hydrothermal activity bringing stuff up.
not much gold around Yellowstone

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Other than Alaska where would you go?

I'm in a situation where around October I will have the money, no gf/wife and be out of my lease. I'm trying to start a 3d modeling(video game stuff) career which I can freelance anywhere. I will be using a highbanker with a bilge pump that can be operated off site in a tub or directly in the river/creek. Will be looking at public places or making deals with people that own claims/joining a mining group with multiple.

I was thinking I could try some places east of Sacramento, but I'm having trouble narrowing down a specific place. Would run the highbanker in a tub the appropriate distance away. I also have a metal detector so I thought that area would be good for that also. Anyway if anyone has any other suggestions I'm open to hearing them. I am able to go anywhere really within the lower 48.

Have you thought about hiring a guide? A knowledgeable and experienced miner that knows the area you want to hunt gold in is your best bet as far as actually finding some good gold. If you are more interested in adventure than gold, just do it. Be careful, have fun, and Big Gold to you! :skullflag:

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like somebody beat me to the gold at Ft. Knox....so Ima go wit Donald Trumps gilded mansions! :laughing7:

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CA all the way. Not only is it the closest too me it's most likely the richest gold bearing land in the country. Colorado also looks interesting too me but it's a tad too far for me to travel as I'd burn most of my time driving there and back. If we're talking legends also the Lost Dutchman mine or the infamous river of gold would be top contenders.

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yellowstone. There should be something there with all the rhyolite and all the hydrothermal activity bringing stuff up.
LOL....good luck with THAT!
Jim

Hunt4gold

Oct 20, 2016
Colorado, Littleton
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would look at Wyoming - Having read Dan Hausel's book on gold in Wyoming, and having traveled the state quite a bit, I believe that there is more potential to locate decent gold around some of the areas around the southern part of Wind River Range around South Pass greenstone belt, parts of Medicine Bow Mts, Owl Creek-Bridger Mts, Seminoe Mountains, and areas east of Yellowstone in Absaroka volcanic plateau. But for this summer, I am mapping areas along the Colorado Mineral Belt to explore.

GLDPNR

Greenie
Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I purchased a map of Arizona gold. There seem to be many places to visit but many of those areas are not permitted to access. I would love to have access to a stream/dry panning in AZ for one week:)

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I purchased a map of Arizona gold. There seem to be many places to visit but many of those areas are not permitted to access. I would love to have access to a stream/dry panning in AZ for one week:)

Maybe join a club?

Here's a list of them. AZ Clubs

bcfromfl

Feb 18, 2016
Youngstown, FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 4500,
Fisher Gold Bug Pro,
Gold Hog stream sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be wary of trying any highbanking in California right now, unless you're talking about a recirculating unit. It probably could be done in a remote location, but there's always someone around with a cellphone ready to record something they don't like...especially with the noise those pumps make!

If you're more into metal detecting for nuggets, then Nevada or Arizona would probably be a better bet.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably right where I am living right now. I just bought a place in very northern CA, only 3 miles from the stormy Pacific (right now) some beaches have heavy black sands. I didn't move here just because of the gold. It is retirement time and got a great price on a new home. population is 8800 and many places for crabbing and fishing too! A lot easier to catch a $10 crab than find a $10 picker.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Make yourself familiar with this site. Welcome to Land Matters. When you are familiar with it you can determine the unclaimed places you can prospect/access in AZ and the rest of the western states.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
crumbaker

crumbaker

Feb 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
California is the place, north and South American river in the open areas. Yankee jims, ponderosa, bear river, above folsom lake on south fork towards Coloma. All year long prospecting.

This sounds like the best option. Any specific cities/towns that are reasonably sized(20k population and up) that would be in the heart of all of this?

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Id like to have , atleast , a 10 inch dredge mounted on a large pontoon boat(or two) and be able to go up the Missouri River suckin the snot out of the bottom of that River. BUT the sand & gravel guys have it claimed up! The next best idea would be to get to clean out the barges that DO carry the sand they suck up ! I wonder if one of them companys would pay be to be a barge washer??????????:occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread