Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I've been hearing about glacial gold now for some time and was wondering if anyone has ever found anything in western NY. Our area had very heavy glacial activity and was wondering if its worth starting into some research. I am pretty much at the absolute top of the water shed so I am thinking if theres even a chance of anything, it's all downhill from here.

Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes. If there were glaciers (actually the continental ice sheet) in an area, there'll be gold pushed down from Canada.

Technically all gold in NY is the property of the state due to a REALLY OLD (and counterproductive!) law. Up to you to decide to ignore that if they haven't repealed it yet ;)

OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. If there were glaciers (actually the continental ice sheet) in an area, there'll be gold pushed down from Canada.

Technically all gold in NY is the property of the state due to a REALLY OLD (and counterproductive!) law. Up to you to decide to ignore that if they haven't repealed it yet ;)

any tips on where to start with my research? besides the laws haha

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Honest? There isn't enough micro-gold in New York, to cover your cost of gasoline or a simple gold pan. Connecticut, Vermont, even Massachusetts have gold worth prospecting. Looking for gold in New York State is a fool's errand. :skullflag:

OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats what I am starting to find out

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tpmetal, I grew up in Pennsylvania just over the border from Ripley, NY (in the town of North East, PA). I never prospected as a kid, and haven't returned to do so as an adult. But...I think about that area frequently. I've done some research and never come across someone who had a confirmed finding of gold found in that area. (I've come across a few who claim to have found gold, but I don't believe them enough to say that it's there).
Theoretically at least some flour gold should be there, if you know where to look. Terry's right, though - it's likely not going to pay the bills. Still, it could be fun to find!

Here's what I've always wanted to do: Twentymile Creek (between Ripley and North East) and Chatauqua Creek (in Westfield, NY) cut some pretty deep channels into the "overburden" and rock that make up what's called the Lake Erie Escarpment. Those cuts HAVE to be beautiful cross sections of the geology of the area. My guess - only a guess since I haven't been back in years - is that somewhere in those cuts there will be evidence of the glacial till. I would take some samples of that till and see if it has any gold.

I also seem to remember some places along Twentymile where the Creek flowed across bedrock. That would also be a great place to explore.

All I ask is: if you find something - anything - please PM me with pictures. (I'd understand if you didn't want to broadcast any findings on this open forum. I was hesitant to even post my thoughts here, but I'm sure they're not original thoughts...). Take lots of pictures of the geology along those cuts. Maybe they're even available on Google Images - I haven't checked.

Good luck!

- Brian

HardHatMatt

Mar 15, 2016
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where you located in WNY? I have some property on the Niagara River between Lewiston and Niagara Falls, NY. Never thought of prospecting there. Let me know if you find anything worthwhile! Best of luck!

JrMack

Feb 16, 2014
steuben co. ny
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, x-terra 305/505/705,discovery TF 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi from corning-- I think creek beds are a good place to start...I have read reports of old times about nuggets the size of a dime in the susquahanna river. There also is fine flower gold if you know of streams near flagstone quarrys. check out the gold panners association for the ny state--also some videos on youtube for ny gold

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions