Letters to President Trump

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have been having a really good response in letting the White House know of our plight. I am of the mind set the squeaky wheel gets greased and I am planning on squeaking on a weekly basis.It would be be nice to have as a many as we can also do the same. Write your own letter, write your version of my letter or even simply cut n paste my letter and say you support this letter.

Anyway, here is my most recent letter. You may send your comments directly to the White House

https://www.whitehouse.gov/contact#page

ratled

Donald J. Trump, President of the United States
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500

Dear President Trump,

This is a follow up to numerous requests made of your new administration on behalf of the independent gold miners and prospectors of the Western United States. This addresses thousands upon thousands of gold miners in California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Alaska, and is spreading rapidly to neighboring states. The political ideology being saddled upon us prevents us from exercising our federal rights on federal lands. These are the exact obstructionist tactics that you and your new administration are running into, though we have been facing it for over eight years.

The political ideology is that federal preemption simply does not apply on these federal lands. They contend that federal laws, regulations and rules, as well as numerous precedent setting court cases and the basic Rule of Law, are irrelevant. In some instances they are not even allowed to be entered or even considered.

We respectively request you have Secretary Designate Zinke of the Department of Interior and Administrator Designate Pruitt of the Environmental Protection Agency work with us so we may present the issues at hand and provide the simple solutions to resolve these issues that constrain the miners. These solutions still maintain the mission and objectives of each of the Departments. We are simply asking for reasonable regulations on federal lands.

We are hard working Americans who once use to augment our incomes, fixed income retirees who need to supplement our needs through other than hand outs and full time miners who are just trying to scratch out an existence in the rural American West were economic opportunities can be scarce.

Congratulations on your historical victory! We look forward to working with you to Make America Great Again and get the miners back to work!

Upvote 0

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well done Ratled! :icon_thumleft:

I would make a change in this paragraph, however:

We are hard working Americans who once use to augment our incomes, fixed income retirees
who need to supplement our needs through other than hand outs and full time miners who are just trying
to scratch out an existence in the rural American West were economic opportunities can be scarce.

Might be better said as:

We are hard working Americans, and we used to augment our incomes with small scale mining.
Individuals on fixed income, retirees who desire to supplement their needs through a means other than
government hand outs, and full time, small scale miners who are just trying to scratch out an existence
in the rural American West, a place where economic opportunities can be scarce.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I think that is a GREAT IDEA!!!! and Ill try to do it also on a weekly basis! and if anyone else has any good bullets to add to our own hand written letters ,That would help a lot! Thanks for the ideas ratled and DD ! EDIT*** I just wrote out a long email to our President with a few ideas and it wont let me post it due to my phone number ???? I changed it around several times only to get a note saying, INVALID NUMBER Good thing I copied it before I got fed up trying!:icon_scratch:

Last edited:
OP
OP
ratled

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks DD but I have personally stopped using "small scale miners" and use the term "independent miners and prospectors" as it tracks better and I feel is more accurate in what we actually do.. It's just me

One note, there is a 2500 character limit on the body so you may want to write it up and copy it over from something like a Word doc. Also helps if you aren't lucky like Russ was :)

ratled

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the link, I just sent my first email to the President !

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks DD but I have personally stopped using "small scale miners" and use the term "independent miners and prospectors" as it tracks better and I feel is more accurate in what we actually do.. It's just me

I agree, even though we are small scale miners its being misconstrued that we are mine operators and they are tiring
to put us under surface mining regulations like gravel mining, for me prospecting and mom & pop mining does not reach that scale or scope.

another contact to send letters is the House Natural Resources Committee - mineral resources sub-committee
https://naturalresources.house.gov/contact/

Last edited:

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
One must not forget the existence of a whole industry of manufacturing gold mining equipment (large and small). Many manufacturers and retailers have felt the hurt!

Bejay

OP
OP
ratled

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One must not forget the existence of a whole industry of manufacturing gold mining equipment (large and small). Many manufacturers and retailers have felt the hurt!

Bejay

Not only do I agree but that is actually week #3! I have several weeks of drafts that build off the last one. I have been chatting with various retailers & manufactures (Sam your next on the list to talk with :) ) Week 2 is to define the scope of how many "independent miners and prospectors" this really affects

Thanks for all the support!

ratled

Last edited:

ChuckVT

Feb 14, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Virtually every major unit from every manufacturer. I have been detecting since 1968.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good idea, and I already sent mine on a different topic...the ridiculous ban of metal detectors on the National Seashore! I also did touch upon our wonderful native son metal detector companies, and we need to help them when we can. I have written to my representatives on the ban of metal detectors from the National Seashore for many years and got no where. They all acted surprised it was a law, because they didn't see the harm in it, then got back to me with something like, "Sorry, that's the way it is." Well, maybe this President can do something about it!

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I asked for an autographed photo of Ivanka. download.jpeg

bcfromfl

Feb 18, 2016
Youngstown, FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 4500,
Fisher Gold Bug Pro,
Gold Hog stream sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much, ratled, for keeping us informed and being an active advocate.

I might suggest reworking this paragraph:

The political ideology is that federal preemption simply does not apply on these federal lands. They contend that federal laws, regulations and rules, as well as numerous precedent setting court cases and the basic Rule of Law, are irrelevant. In some instances they are not even allowed to be entered or even considered.

If I understand correctly what you wrote, your first use of "they" is a general grouping of the States of California/Oregon, Karuks, and enviros, but the second usage of "they" is a replacement for basic Rules of Law? If so, making clarification such that the word "they" doesn't have diametrically-opposed definitions in the same paragraph might be helpful.

Bruce

OP
OP
ratled

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks winners, made my day to hear that... now for Zinke!

ratled

OP
OP
ratled

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread