Bought paydirt on ebay 5 pounds only .12 grams, is this normal ?

GoldMine21

Feb 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought for the first time paydirt. It was 5 pounds of Whiskey Petes Gold on ebay. I paid $27.75 for the 5 pounds and was super excited. I expected to get at least 10 dollars worth in gold but I only had .12 grams of gold. I sluiced it and panned it about 10 times. I couldn't believe how little was in there. I know paydirt is for learning experiences, but is this normal for 5 pounds of paydirt for that price ? He has such good reviews I assumed it would be good dirt. Is .12 grams a lot for 5 pounds of paydirt bought online ? Can you recommend anyone that has better paydirt ? Like I said I know its for learning experiences, but I still expected a bit more than that, or is this normal ?

Upvote 0

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you for all the great advice. I wrote Whiskey_Petes_Gold on ebay and this was his response

Hi, I'm a happy to hear you found gold in your dirt. As you know our items are unsearched raw dirt and to find any gold in only 5 lbs of dirt is great. Everyone ones experience is different and we have no way of knowing if there dirt contains gold or gems or not. We do our best to pick out the best spots on our claim but as stated there is no guarantee's what you will find in the dirt.

I can say that the only place I know you might expect to find quarter gram of gold ($10) in current market, in just 5 pounds of dirt, might be in Alaska. I myself pan all the time and the results are always different from nothing at all in my pan, to a couple of small nuggets.

If you want to find a certain amount of gold in your dirt you may want to look for sellers on ebay that put gold in there dirt. They normally state how much gold they put in there bags in their item description and also state guaranteed gold in their bags. That way you will not be disappointed when panning.

I do hope you enjoyed panning our dirt. Thank you for your business!

He was nice about it however, I still dont feel like for the price it was worth it. I feel like there is better paydirt out there and I will definitely check out some of the places you guys have recommended. I have heard of Lynch mining before so I may give them a try. Although .12 grams may not be bad for 5 pounds, its the price that gets me. Instead of them making double or triple their money and letting both seller and buyer win, they make so much more off of it. Also from his message, it seems some people may get nothing at all. It was fun finding the gold, but the specs were so small I did not find it worth that price I paid. If it was $20 dollars then it would have even been worth it, but asking almost 30 dollars for that is crazy. Ill try a few more places to see if I can get more even if I have to pay more to get a decent amount. I also agree with the people who said when they state there may be no gold in there dirt. I should have took that as a sign there would be little to none in it. Thank you for all the great advice !

This is the first it was mentioned that your bag was "unsearched". That word, alone, means high risk. ...Just sayin'!

I've seen lots of different items that would be for sale unsearched. Old cents is one example. Marbles, rocks, etc, etc. If it says unsearched, then the seller is not supposed to know the exact value of what they're selling, but it stands to reason they make sure the odds are stacked in their favor.

Personally, I stand firm with Goldwasher on this....without hesitation!!

OP
OP
G

GoldMine21

Feb 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Response to GoodyGuy I understand what you are saying, however, I was listening to some of the advice on here who said there are good paydirt sellers out there. I figured I should try 2-3 times from different sellers and at least give it a shot before deciding. If the next 2 people have paydirt like whiskey petes I definitely wont purchase paydirt again, however, I still want to see for myself. I would prefer the .5 grams guaranteed as Goldwasher stated. You may be right though, I may buy it another 2 times and decide its not worth it. However being in southern Missouri where gold is so tiny and harder to find, I want to give it another shot. As far as the response for people are buying suspense not the gold, that may be true but only to a certain extent. If you buy paydirt and come up with 3 or 4 dollars in gold every 30 dollars, then I couldn't see that as any suspense I would want. I do appreciate everyone's advice and thank everyone for responding and trying to help. The next time I buy paydirt I can post what I panned out if anyone is interested in the next seller I try. I think if I have the same result though, I will be done with paydirt and take GoodyGuys opinion to not buy paydirt and travel for good spots. I wouldnt mind the .12 grams every 5 pounds if it was somewhere I traveled to instead of buying paydirt. Thank you

Last edited:

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hay Good Guy $10.00 isn"t that bad a deal. For a bag of sand. After all a big mac meal is all most $10.00. And theres no value at all. At least you can keep panning the sand it will never go bad. Thats right a big mac will never go bad either. Just tried too compair it to something.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I'll just stick to moving sand on my little beach.....
This took about an hour and a half.... some days better, some days not so good. But I get some exercise in a beautiful place and a little gold too.....
Maybe I ought to start selling concentrates...LOL.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/sluicing/454120-got-out-little-today-21.html#post5290220

Good for you John and keep it up. I don't mind having a non-potential customer.:tongue3:

Guys like you are not the reason I do what I do. Good luck out there.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Response to GoodyGuy I understand what you are saying, however, I was listening to some of the advice on here who said there are good paydirt sellers out there. I figured I should try 2-3 times from different sellers and at least give it a shot before deciding. If the next 2 people have paydirt like whiskey petes I definitely wont purchase paydirt again, however, I still want to see for myself. I would prefer the .5 grams guaranteed as Goldwasher stated. You may be right though, I may buy it another 2 times and decide its not worth it. However being in southern Missouri where gold is so tiny and harder to find, I want to give it another shot. As far as the response for people are buying suspense not the gold, that may be true but only to a certain extent. If you buy paydirt and come up with 3 or 4 dollars in gold every 30 dollars, then I couldn't see that as any suspense I would want. I do appreciate everyone's advice and thank everyone for responding and trying to help. The next time I buy paydirt I can post what I panned out if anyone is interested in the next seller I try. I think if I have the same result though, I will be done with paydirt and take GoodyGuys opinion to not buy paydirt and travel for good spots. I wouldnt mind the .12 grams every 5 pounds if it was somewhere I traveled to instead of buying paydirt. Thank you

use Amazon check the reviews. or Dirthog here they have stated amounts

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
something to mention I think some states would frown upon a situation that is a "gamble"

as far as purchasing an item.
People know what they're getting from what I sell.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Response to GoodyGuy I understand what you are saying, however, I was listening to some of the advice on here who said there are good paydirt sellers out there. I figured I should try 2-3 times from different sellers and at least give it a shot before deciding. If the next 2 people have paydirt like whiskey petes I definitely wont purchase paydirt again, however, I still want to see for myself. I would prefer the .5 grams guaranteed as Goldwasher stated. You may be right though, I may buy it another 2 times and decide its not worth it. However being in southern Missouri where gold is so tiny and harder to find, I want to give it another shot. As far as the response for people are buying suspense not the gold, that may be true but only to a certain extent. If you buy paydirt and come up with 3 or 4 dollars in gold every 30 dollars, then I couldn't see that as any suspense I would want. I do appreciate everyone's advice and thank everyone for responding and trying to help. The next time I buy paydirt I can post what I panned out if anyone is interested in the next seller I try. I think if I have the same result though. I will be done with paydirt and take GoodyGuys opinion to not buy paydirt and travel for good spots. I wouldnt mind the .12 grams every 5 pounds if it was somewhere I traveled to instead of buying paydirt. Thank you

Cool:icon_thumleft:

Gold mine 21 Welcome to Treasure net and the wonderful world of prospecting and mining.
My advice was to purchase gold by itself to get more of your moneys worth in gold than dirt. But getting out to find gold for yourself is way more fun and rewarding in ways you will not expect.

Hey I once bought a bag of paydirt from Felix in Alaska and like you I was disappointed in how little gold I received for my money. After a call to Felix I realized that was the exact amount that was meant to be in the bag for him to make the profit he wanted. That's when I decided to get my own paydirt from then on.

Go for the Gold
GG~

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Folks please quit pm'ing me to buy my mystery bag it was just a joke.
Dang Goldwasher I see what you are talking about.

GG~

you are a charter member!!!

Just sayin'..:tongue3: :laughing7::occasion14:

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My offer still stands. All you pay is shipping on the flat rate box. No salting for the big eye effect. Just real gravels from a trusted creek I've been mining for three years. All I can say is you just never know. It's as good a deal as any unsearched offer you can find. Bedrock gravels are 1/2" or smaller, and the small flat rate box gets you about half a 14"pan of gravels. You can even go to my journal page to see what we have produced in the past. Let me know...

OP
OP
G

GoldMine21

Feb 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Accidental double post

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GoldMine21

Feb 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree Goodyguy, finding it yourself is much better than buying paydirt. I wish Missouri was more of a gold bearing state. Time to move !!

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Folks please quit pm'ing me to buy my mystery bag it was just a joke.
Dang Goldwasher I see what you are talking about.

GG~

Now That's funny........:laughing7:

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Good for you John and keep it up. I don't mind having a non-potential customer.:tongue3:

Guys like you are not the reason I do what I do. Good luck out there.

I have never purchased a bag of pay dirt but I have no problem with people selling it as long as the customer goes in with eyes open.
It sounds to me like your doing it right... Keep up the good work....:icon_thumright:
Like you said there's all kinds of reasons people buy it and it is just plain silly to expect 30 buck's worth of gold in a 30 dollar bag...... Just my 2 dwt.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree Goodyguy, finding it yourself is much better than buying paydirt. I wish Missouri was more of a gold bearing state. Time to move !!
I wish Indiana was more of a gold bearing state too. That's why I travel out west so much, of course being retired makes it that much sweeter.:icon_thumleft:

IMG_20140920_142628.jpg van camping in quartzsite AZ.jpg goldbasin.jpg

rh1.jpg drywash2.jpg smalltailingpiles.jpg
gh2.jpg zuki.jpg gh.jpg
oat1.jpg chlor3.jpg caliche wall.jpg

Last edited:

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My offer still stands. All you pay is shipping on the flat rate box. No salting for the big eye effect. Just real gravels from a trusted creek I've been mining for three years. All I can say is you just never know. It's as good a deal as any unsearched offer you can find. Bedrock gravels are 1/2" or smaller, and the small flat rate box gets you about half a 14"pan of gravels. You can even go to my journal page to see what we have produced in the past. Let me know...

This offer is good for anybody that wants to try it out. I'm still 6-8 weeks from being able to get to my claim, but once I do, I'm generous. Hell, even Todd can get some if he wants. Just the price of the flat rate box of your choice....

49er4ever44

Feb 9, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Go to Lynch Mining, lynchmining.com, and get their highest grade of paydirt, about $65 plus shipping about $6. I bought a couple of bags getting better than 2 grams per bag which is actually better than it cost me.

DO NOT go to lynch mining. I paid them for raffle tickets and they removed the raffle section and kept my $$$$! Yay!

49er4ever44

Feb 9, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Also I purchased a 107$ bag of paydirt and got 100$ in gold back. Best deal I've seen.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Get a Charter Membership before you start selling dirt to greenhorns. :skullflag:

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Get a Charter Membership before you start selling dirt to greenhorns. :skullflag:
He's not selling dirt.... He's asking them to cover the postage....
Of course it is a leader so to speak..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread