Bought paydirt on ebay 5 pounds only .12 grams, is this normal ?

GoldMine21

Feb 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought for the first time paydirt. It was 5 pounds of Whiskey Petes Gold on ebay. I paid $27.75 for the 5 pounds and was super excited. I expected to get at least 10 dollars worth in gold but I only had .12 grams of gold. I sluiced it and panned it about 10 times. I couldn't believe how little was in there. I know paydirt is for learning experiences, but is this normal for 5 pounds of paydirt for that price ? He has such good reviews I assumed it would be good dirt. Is .12 grams a lot for 5 pounds of paydirt bought online ? Can you recommend anyone that has better paydirt ? Like I said I know its for learning experiences, but I still expected a bit more than that, or is this normal ?

Upvote 0

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Catching gold is easy, actually you can do everything wrong with most sluices and highbankers and still catch gold. I've seen it done. Wrong angle, wrong flow, backward riffles, clay, mud, no classification, wrong feed rate, etc. and if there is good gold in the material some of it will still be recovered if enough of it is fed into the equipment. Watching Todd on Gold Rush proves that. :laughing7:

The trick is, recovering 95 to 99% of what runs through, especially if it is all fines and flour and precious little of it in the material being run. That's when all the tricks of the trade come into play. Most would not even waste their time with such poor material. But here in the mid west, where most all the gold has been ground down to fine and micro size as well as flour and powder size from glacial transport covering hundreds and hundreds of miles, it's all we have to work with.

Here if you feed a highbanker for 8 hours straight and get a 1/4 gram of gold you had a good day. :tongue3:

GG~

Say a fella picked , raked, wood chucked, rock chucked ,splashed, stripped ,swished, drag, flipped , heaved ,splashed , swished more, all the while raking and chucking...

That fella would spend all that time, an hour or two before ever feeding a shovel.
Would he feed it into something to lose gold?
If that material was about as ready to feed into a 36 prospector or 3/8
Inch classifier
A flat running sluice will more than keep up with.
You will lose some fines

BUT...meh?

Piggy back two sluices or like in the gold hog raptor flare. A run that is narrow and gets wider down the run......

HEY DOC???

Tell the fellas how much gold you find in the second sluice!!!

Fast water every thing minus what 1/2 inch.

I prep my "raw material" for sluicing
Better than I would for a power sluice but even a gold hog or any grizzly hopper highbanking is going to have bits of clay if your shoveling clay.

Clay sheds more than it grabs unless you manhandle it too much.
IMHO don't press the potential gold into the too clay.

Clay clogging up recovery is probably more of a loss issue. Than robbing..

There a lot of stuff to ge out to the way and situated before you really move material.

If your trying to move material that is.

Attachments

• 1487824112280.jpg
    1487824112280.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 1487824132371.jpg
    1487824132371.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 64
  • 1487824149227.jpg
    1487824149227.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 1487824164656.jpg
    1487824164656.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 68
  • 1487824183646.jpg
    1487824183646.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 1487824214786.jpg
    1487824214786.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 1487824237706.jpg
    1487824237706.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fines are in the box.

Attachments

• 1487824281530.jpg
    1487824281530.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 1487824308606.jpg
    1487824308606.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 1487824341209.jpg
    1487824341209.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 1487824357702.jpg
    1487824357702.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 1487824412757.jpg
    1487824412757.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 1487824483837.jpg
    1487824483837.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 75

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
anyone ever try one of them Drywashers?

stephen583

Jan 30, 2017
610 South 900 West Riverside Apts. #108
Detector(s) used
dowser (rods) and metal detectors
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In fact, the first thing you guys did was try to con people into buying "pay dirt" off the internet. Next you tried to con people into believing stock sluice boxes bought off the internet are as good as homemade sluice boxes. Then you tried to con me into digging and hauling your dirt for you.

Hey kids. If it walks like a duck and it quacks like a duck.. Guess what ? It's a duck ! Sorry fellas, I grew up on Bourbon Street in New Orleans where I later worked as a cop. I can spot a con coming from a mile off. You guys don't have anything I want, or anything I need. including your advise and snarky remarks. NUFF SAID ?

BTW Goldwasher nice pics, Where did you lift them from ? LOL.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a Few posts have been Deleted Or Edited.

I don't care if your Old, new, Or Old member with a New Name.

Tone it down Please!

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would think putting WD-40 in the pan would possibly work and keep the fine gold down. We use petroleum products where I work and it kills the bubbles which sinks the metals attached to them. But, on the flipside of that we also use another type of petroleum product that floats a specific mineral. Who knows. I wouldnt discount it without trying it myself. :icon_scratch:

As for classifying my dirt. I classify when I am running my Keene A51. But I dont classify while Im running my CalSluice.

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In fact, the first thing you guys did was try to con people into buying "pay dirt" off the internet. Next you tried to con people into believing stock sluice boxes bought off the internet are as good as homemade sluice boxes. Then you tried to con me into digging and hauling your dirt for you.

Hey kids. If it walks like a duck and it quacks like a duck.. Guess what ? It's a duck ! Sorry fellas, I grew up on Bourbon Street in New Orleans where I later worked as a cop. I can spot a con coming from a mile off. You guys don't have anything I want, or anything I need. including your advise and snarky remarks. NUFF SAID ?

BTW Goldwasher nice pics, Where did you lift them from ? LOL.
The only thing I have bought is a sluice. I build all of my own equipment! Yes some times a manufactured piece is better than homemade they did the research, testing, just ask Gold hog. And I didn't try to con you into digging dirt for me! I split everything that comes out of the ground! Here's some pics of my stuff just so you know! Notice the lack of muck and clay in my sluice DSCF0445.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF0391.JPG
    DSCF0391.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 55
  • DSCF0374.JPG
    DSCF0374.JPG
    797.7 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCF0367.JPG
    DSCF0367.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCF0287.JPG
    DSCF0287.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCF0243.JPG
    DSCF0243.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 57
  • dredge 003.JPG
    dredge 003.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 62
  • franken dredge 001.JPG
    franken dredge 001.JPG
    215.1 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Say a fella picked , raked, wood chucked, rock chucked ,splashed, stripped ,swished, drag, flipped , heaved ,splashed , swished more, all the while raking and chucking...

That fella would spend all that time, an hour or two before ever feeding a shovel.
Would he feed it into something to lose gold?
If that material was about as ready to feed into a 36 prospector or 3/8
Inch classifier
A flat running sluice will more than keep up with.
You will lose some fines

BUT...meh?

Piggy back two sluices or like in the gold hog raptor flare. A run that is narrow a ND wides

HEY DOC???

Tell the fellas how much gold you find in the second sluice!!!

Fast water every thing minus what 1/2 inch.

I prep my "raw material" for sluicing
Better than I would for a power sluice but even a gold hog or any grizzly hopper highbanking is going to have bits of clay if your shoveling clay.

There a lot of stuff to ge out to the way and situated before you really move material.

If your trying to move material that is.

The proof is in the pudding and your pudding sure looks good to me! :notworthy:
Wish I had ground like that to work here in Indiana.

I would trade a few lost fines for cleanups like that any day.
Don't get the idea that I spend much time getting my bank run material ready to run because I don't.

And by the way are you allowed to discharge your bank run material into the stream like that? Not that it bothers me any, it's common practice in my neck of the woods but I thought Kali had strict rules about that. What is the currant rule I'm not sure? :icon_scratch:
1487824149227.jpg

GG~

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing I have bought is a sluice. I build all of my own equipment! Yes some times a manufactured piece is better than homemade they did the research, testing, just ask Gold hog. And I didn't try to con you into digging dirt for me! I split everything that comes out of the ground! Here's some pics of my stuff just so you know! Notice the lack of muck and clay in my sluice

Like your DIY dredge, bowl, and shovel. Well done :icon_thumleft:

GG~

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The proof is in the pudding and your pudding sure looks good to me! :notworthy:
Wish I had ground like that to work here in Indiana.

I would trade a few lost fines for cleanups like that any day.
Don't get the idea that I spend much time getting my bank run material ready to run because I don't.

And by the way are you allowed to discharge your bank run material into the stream like that? Not that it bothers me any, it's common practice in my neck of the woods but I thought Kali had strict rules about that. What is the currant rule I'm not sure? :icon_scratch:
View attachment 1418310

GG~

Having a year that you take so many pictures of the High water line. and document it:headbang:

In stream work. thats all it is.

This years water has moved the majority of what you see there plus a whole heck of a lot more . Its pretty awesome.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Clay balls WILL rob nuggets out of a sluice box if the gold is laying there on top waiting to be grabbed.
I know this because we have found clay balls chock full of nuggets in older mining areas. I think one had 30 pickers in it! Granted, their boxes were hundreds of feet long and had nuggets dispersed throughout the entire length from miners shoveling alongside the sluice so there was a pretty good exposure time.

In my mind, greasy material that will form clay balls is different than most clay we see in gravels.

Last edited:

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, pro pointer, and two dowsing rods.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paydirt

I bought for the first time paydirt. It was 5 pounds of Whiskey Petes Gold on ebay. I paid $27.75 for the 5 pounds and was super excited. I expected to get at least 10 dollars worth in gold but I only had .12 grams of gold. I sluiced it and panned it about 10 times. I couldn't believe how little was in there. I know paydirt is for learning experiences, but is this normal for 5 pounds of paydirt for that price ? He has such good reviews I assumed it would be good dirt. Is .12 grams a lot for 5 pounds of paydirt bought online ? Can you recommend anyone that has better paydirt ? Like I said I know its for learning experiences, but I still expected a bit more than that, or is this normal ?

I just bought 5 lb pay-dirt off Ebay also. I have not panned it yet as I am saving it for my grandkids. I purchased the pay-dirt that was advertised as unprocessed with gold added. it was the same price you paid. Someone told me to get the unprocessed dirt because that way you know they did not remove big nuggets or most of the gold. Of course, I am trusting them to be true to their word. I will let you know what we find.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clay balls WILL rob nuggets out of a sluice box if the gold is laying there on top waiting to be grabbed.
I know this because we have found clay balls chock full of nuggets in older mining areas. I think one had 30 pickers in it! Granted, their boxes were hundreds of feet long and had nuggets dispersed throughout the entire length from miners shoveling alongside the sluice so there was a pretty good exposure time.

In my mind, greasy material that will form clay balls is different than most clay

Of course there is no way to test. But, what if the clay that was fed already had a crap ton of gold stuck to it and that's what didn't shed in the sluice run.

Betcha that was a common situation.

Explain how a clay ball has enough weight to roll by a piece of gold and pick it up................:icon_scratch:

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to laugh! We have someone saying we're con men. we don't know our azz from a hole in the ground, wouldn't trust us to change a spark plug! Spending all our money on crap! Just so you know ALL of my equipment totals $850. How's those dowser rods work for ya! Why don't you post some pics of your accomplishments? Lets see this steel sluice of yours I need a laugh this morning, don't forget to add the WD-40 too! :icon_scratch:???:tongue3:

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So basically what you're saying is your just here to aggravate those of us who enjoy what we do. Come on don't insult our intelligence. If you're happy mining your way and we're happy our way so be it! But don't be bashing on people you don't know. There are other places for that like IDK Facebook! I don't care if you sell your gold we all do.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A rake, a pitch fork and hydraulics are all used to get material ready to run. using a classifier and buckets would take forever. I get excellent recovery.

Doesn't matter according to you they aren't even my pictures.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stephen583, your a new member so maybe you haven't read our rules. We do not allow insulting of other members so please tone it down. There is a link in my signature for our rules, please read them.

stephen583

Jan 30, 2017
610 South 900 West Riverside Apts. #108
Detector(s) used
dowser (rods) and metal detectors
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kids, if you don't think a Garret Pin Pointer is a piece of garbage, just buy one.. then take a couple of nice big pickers and drop them into a bowl of dirt and push them down about 8 inches with your finger (cover em up) and wave that Garret Pin Pointer over them. It's gonna be as quiet as as wake. I bought one and tested it 20 years ago. It's good for maybe two inches. Sometimes even then it didn't work. They're total garbage !

Dowsing rods ? Yeah I use' em.. and they work consistently, regardless of the depth of the gold. People have only been using them for around 4,000 years to detect buried treasure at unbelievable distances and depths. Why would I rely on a piece of garbage Garret Pointer instead of a set of rods ?

Last edited:

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kids, if you don't think a Garret Pin Pointer is a piece of garbage, just buy one.. then take a couple of nice big pickers and drop them into a bowl of dirt and push them down about 8 inches with your finger (cover em up) and wave that Garret Pin Pointer
Well duh!!!!!!! Pin pointers are not designed to detect items at 8"!!!!! But to pin point the item in your hole from close by!!!!!:dontknow::icon_scratch:???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions