Easy Diy project

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Nokta fors gold plus, tesoro lobo supertraq, Makro gold racer, Nokta Makro Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
IMG_20170219_100439097.jpg
This was a real simple project. Some of these miners picks are ridiculously overpriced. I made this one for under $10.
The wood handle is made of Osage orange from my firewood pile the pick head is made of 3/16 steel that was cut by my hand grinder and the tubing was the only thing I bought. I Just through a quick bead around it to secure it to the head.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Grumpie

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Nokta fors gold plus, tesoro lobo supertraq, Makro gold racer, Nokta Makro Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
1487521224902-569826976.jpg
Just wanted to show you what the handle looked like yesterday am.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I "LOVE" Osage Orange wood!! Is the only wood I know of where all you need is sandpaper and water to get a beautiful finish. Tough, strong and beautiful. Makes me sick that it's being burnt in a fireplace...but oh, well.

OP
OP
Grumpie

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I cut the Osage down myself and design and make custom hunting bows out of it. These are left over scrap that can't be used to make a bow but I'm finding ways for it to be used.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I cut the Osage down myself and design and make custom hunting
bows out of it. These are left over scrap that can't be used to make a bow but I'm finding ways
for it to be used.

Was going to ask that very question! :icon_thumleft:

Osage can make awesome selfbows, it's finding a good stave that's a
always the issue. Up here I've used Pacific Yew and backed it with
a hickory laminate to make a couple bows, but even with the best
of tillering I still wind up with some strong hand shock.

Gotta ask..are you a Bowsite/Leatherwall member?

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey that's cool you make bows out of the Osage Grumpie. Can we see an example of one of your bows? I really like the pick.

I recently had to clean up some fallen trees from the highway out here in Northwest California. One of them was a Pacific Yew tree. I was able to keep a couple 8' sections about 12" in diameter. Traditional bows are made from this species also. I was thinking of making one or two with my Tolowa (native American) friend.

Mike

OP
OP
Grumpie

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
1487530162264-2036962284.jpg g
This one has been shot but still needs a leather grip. The bow came from the same Osage stave on the right.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Grumpie

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
1487530481246863192266.jpg

OP
OP
Grumpie

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
14875306967941978328384.jpg

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow Nice work! I have been thinking about getting into archery hunting to expand my season.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
If you want an Osage Orange bow, you'd better either have deep pockets or be prepared to make one. Personally, I'd make one.....or five or 20. You'll keep getting better, plus it's simply amazing to watch Osage Orange go from rough wood into this beautiful, glowing masterpiece.

OP
OP
Grumpie

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Appreciate that thx

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Really nice work on the bows and pick Grumpie. I went to traditional gear years ago after I found that I no longer needed the "Training Wheels" out on the bow tips. I haven't shot in a long time but still have my Bushmaster (60 lb draw) and Howett Hunter recurve (65 lb draw). Because of the difference in how they stack at my draw length I went 5 lbs heavier on the recurve so I can use the same shafts on both bows. Kind of worried about setting up compressed hay bales target butt here at the house. Room isn't the problem, rather not wanting to attract vermin which will in turn attract rattlers.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Osage orange trees were known as Bodark or horse apple trees where I grew up in S.E New Mexico. They were originally planted as wind breaks I think. Here is an article about them and how they became known as Bodark. Side note: I still have a sling shot that I carved from a Bodark limb close to 60 years ago.

http://boileddownjuice.com/the-seed-and-the-story-bodark-trees/

Last edited:

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Years ago I was making some recurve bows...(my Dad use to work for Bear Bows...so he taught me). I used yew wood & glass in the limbs (yew wood does not take a set as do other woods). I made raised layered/laminated nocks and the final nock layer was osage orange...I have never forgotten that wood.....as it is not unique to Oregon. Tks for the info.

Bejay

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never made a bow, found a couple of books on making them: Bowyers Bible

Last edited:
OP
OP
Grumpie

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Never made a bow, found a couple of books on making them: Bowyers Bible
That's a good start, another one is "hunting the Osage bow" by Dean Torges.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread