Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It rained all last week. It rained all this week. Forecast for next week? You guessed it. So I dug out the Miller Table, took notes on what was wrong/needs to be fixed and there it sat. In the mean time, I gathered my super fines from the last trip to dial in the table once I get around to it. Then, my good buddy Delnorter PM's me with an offer of not only a few pounds of gold bearing black sands to feed my table, he also had concentrates from a recent gold/platinum and silver producing solo prospecting spot he discovered. Was I interested? Oh yeah!

Mike brought everything over and as he pulled out baggies of dart black sand, he also shows me the coolest plastic mini classifier set I've ever seen. He also lends me his black sand magnet/plunger which is something else I must have. As the new list of must haves roll in the background, he offers up this latest spot of his is accessible even now as flooding surrounds meaning it just may be an old river channel with good to moderate access. OK, now I'm excited...

But, first things first. The table taught me a lot since I got it, especially what not to do. One big problem is I never got full side to side coverage/discharge. I also let the pump sit in fines which reduced it to next to nothing for flow, even with attempts to revive it. So, I replaced the pump, put it in the filter/container and discovered the discharge hose was way way longer than it needed to be so cut it in half. Also used a different/courser scratch pad along with the denser stuff it came with.

I finally got it to be full and flat board (as a baseline) not to mention his black sands are freakin heavy! After lots of tweaking yesterday and today on the table, it's about right. I still have to reduce the amount of spray bar diffuser material I added in the head cuz max flow is not just not there yet. So far I'm finding 8% to 10 % loss in the discharge pan so not bad for not done.

002.JPG 004.JPG The water diffusing pads where packed with fines as shown in the pics. I took advantage of the rain to flush out "the mats".

013.JPG 016.JPG

There may be some extra pics...can't confirm deletes.

Attachments

• 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    214.8 KB · Views: 132
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    1,009.5 KB · Views: 136
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    936.9 KB · Views: 132
  • 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    839.8 KB · Views: 122
  • 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    271.6 KB · Views: 122
  • 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    214.1 KB · Views: 130
  • 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    476.1 KB · Views: 134
  • 029.JPG
    029.JPG
    243.6 KB · Views: 128
  • 032.JPG
    032.JPG
    914.4 KB · Views: 131
  • 033.JPG
    033.JPG
    903.7 KB · Views: 147
  • 034.JPG
    034.JPG
    899.5 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Upvote 0

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
what do you do with the magnetics after you pull them? beacuse I don't care how many time you swirl them in the water if your dealing with anything more then a teaspoon there WILL be gold trapped.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I always dry them, separate them again and repan what remains. I generally find 0-2 small colors. My method works :)

...yours does too I'm sure. More than one way to plumb a sink!

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always dry them, separate them again and repan what remains. I generally find 0-2 small colors. My method works :)

...yours does too I'm sure. More than one way to plumb a sink!
the amount of gold we are talking about is laughable but I would not through anything away until it's cubed. Cube it or lose it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now remember Jeff, you have a few beaches close to you with -200 black sand......:BangHead::laughing7:

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Now remember Jeff, you have a few beaches close to you with -200 black sand......:BangHead::laughing7:

Sure. Let me know when you want to go and I'll pack my surf rod and reel. :laughing7:

Been fighting a cold. Was doing pretty good too till it started counter attacking me in my sleep. :BangHead: But still plan to run the cons on the table today if I can stay awake. :sleepy2:

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use one of those spin it off things, I dry the sand and lay it out in a shallow tray and I run that thing over it fairly high, whatever gold that gets carried up through the air like that is going to be so far between that it isnt worth bothering with. If you used a plunger magnet or just jammed the spin it off in there yes you will entrap gold in the magnetic structure. I have a lot more than a half bucket lol. All my 20- 30+ magnetics I'm thinking about using it for hour glasses. I have been battling a cold myself.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is one.

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I got the table fired up and dialed in. (Don't laugh at the rock at the end...it flowed perfect with it). I started with some gold I had yet to process from my last trip last year. Worked great!

003.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG 009.JPG

delnorters sample was next. All -100 here and slow going for sure. I tried a magnifying glass and it almost worked but you can see... it's some fine fines.

012.JPG 013.JPG 015.JPG

The platinum slowly flowed out and gold was left but gonna have to clean up this dollup tomorrow.

023.JPG

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking good Jeff. I'll try to stop by this weekend if I'm not working. I'll call before hand to see how you're feeling.

Mike

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OK Kevin. Here's the deal...see? I got this cold and it's humbling me a plenty...so I didn't feel up to the final cleaning today BUT...I did find the leftovers from delnorters sample and after the run on my Miller Table...about a table spoon's worth And it's all there in all it's magnetic glory. Course, it'll take a few days before it will dry enuff to ship out in this neighborhood. PM me a mailing address, do that Kevin Klean thingy you do so well and give us a report back! :icon_thumleft:

003.JPG

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Happy to. I'm curious what is this sample exactly?

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll tell yah what. I don't trust a magnet one bit. Maybe it's just my area but i have stuff almost picker size that will stick to a magnet. Not to mention when the black sand bunches up it can grab a hold of fine gold and take it with it. I use magnets for sorting cons for inspection under the microscope, but I always check both piles. More often than not there will be gold that carried over with the magnetic heavies.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'll tell yah what. I don't trust a magnet one bit. Maybe it's just my area but i have stuff almost picker size that will stick to a magnet. Not to mention when the black sand bunches up it can grab a hold of fine gold and take it with it. I use magnets for sorting cons for inspection under the microscope, but I always check both piles. More often than not there will be gold that carried over with the magnetic heavies.

Then you are doing it wrong.

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Happy to. I'm curious what is this sample exactly?

It's the sample I've been working with here in this thread Mike got this sample near the Smith River. It is a known producing area for gold, nickle and platinum. I did the best I could with it on the Miller Table, so I was wondering if I missed any gold fines.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I know how you feel. Sample before this one was so tough, I started this thread and it helped me a lot...

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/gold-prospecting/521816-wth-am-i-doing-wrong.html

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OK. I been SICK! Karen too. Slow recovery's for both but getting there. I was pretty sure that sudden and uncontrolled coughing, wheezing, sneezing, etc would not be a good thing for a final final clean up. So, that is still pending BUT...I did manage to collect all of the -50 to -100, dry and ship all the cons from the Miller Tables' latest runs to Kevin in Colorado for a final analysis of clean up. I feel it was dialed in 100% so I ran it all only once. Pretty confident. We'll see. :thumbsup:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OK. I been SICK! Karen too. Slow recovery's for both but getting there. I was pretty sure that sudden and uncontrolled coughing, wheezing, sneezing, etc would not be a good thing for a final final clean up. So, that is still pending BUT...I did manage to collect all of the -50 to -100, dry and ship all the cons from the Miller Tables' latest runs to Kevin in Colorado for a final analysis of clean up. I feel it was dialed in 100% so I ran it all only once. Pretty confident. We'll see. :thumbsup:

Hope you both bounce back 100% and I find 0% gold in your sample!

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We've had that crud here too, it takes a while to get back to full strength.
Just so he didn't ship you any of his germs...LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread