Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It rained all last week. It rained all this week. Forecast for next week? You guessed it. So I dug out the Miller Table, took notes on what was wrong/needs to be fixed and there it sat. In the mean time, I gathered my super fines from the last trip to dial in the table once I get around to it. Then, my good buddy Delnorter PM's me with an offer of not only a few pounds of gold bearing black sands to feed my table, he also had concentrates from a recent gold/platinum and silver producing solo prospecting spot he discovered. Was I interested? Oh yeah!

Mike brought everything over and as he pulled out baggies of dart black sand, he also shows me the coolest plastic mini classifier set I've ever seen. He also lends me his black sand magnet/plunger which is something else I must have. As the new list of must haves roll in the background, he offers up this latest spot of his is accessible even now as flooding surrounds meaning it just may be an old river channel with good to moderate access. OK, now I'm excited...

But, first things first. The table taught me a lot since I got it, especially what not to do. One big problem is I never got full side to side coverage/discharge. I also let the pump sit in fines which reduced it to next to nothing for flow, even with attempts to revive it. So, I replaced the pump, put it in the filter/container and discovered the discharge hose was way way longer than it needed to be so cut it in half. Also used a different/courser scratch pad along with the denser stuff it came with.

I finally got it to be full and flat board (as a baseline) not to mention his black sands are freakin heavy! After lots of tweaking yesterday and today on the table, it's about right. I still have to reduce the amount of spray bar diffuser material I added in the head cuz max flow is not just not there yet. So far I'm finding 8% to 10 % loss in the discharge pan so not bad for not done.

002.JPG 004.JPG The water diffusing pads where packed with fines as shown in the pics. I took advantage of the rain to flush out "the mats".

013.JPG 016.JPG

There may be some extra pics...can't confirm deletes.

Attachments

• 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    214.8 KB · Views: 132
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    1,009.5 KB · Views: 136
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    936.9 KB · Views: 132
  • 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    839.8 KB · Views: 122
  • 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    271.6 KB · Views: 122
  • 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    214.1 KB · Views: 130
  • 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    476.1 KB · Views: 134
  • 029.JPG
    029.JPG
    243.6 KB · Views: 128
  • 032.JPG
    032.JPG
    914.4 KB · Views: 131
  • 033.JPG
    033.JPG
    903.7 KB · Views: 147
  • 034.JPG
    034.JPG
    899.5 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
She'll be in my thoughts and prayers tonight.

Meanwhile, I got your concentrates sample in the mail today and already processed it. My steps were a little different since it was already dry.
1. Pull magnetics up thru air to my magnet, dropping into another pan.
2. Repeat this and set aside magnetics.
3. Drop dry non-magnetic material thru a 50 mesh classifier.
4. Pan -50 and +50 separately. Twice.
Total elapsed time 10 minutes. Here's the gold I found:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1490316233.736249.jpg
A few pieces of +50 up top, the rest is -50
And here's the gear I used:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1490316423.143201.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Awesome Kevin! I've been looking for a benchmark for my minus anything gold recovery and this is a great starting point! We can narrow both down to a science...as long as I can devote wintertime to cons and the other 3 seasons to prospecting. Not this upcoming spring cuz I gotta be honest...I intend to disappear quite a bit (once in awhile that is)...and of course as life allows.

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jeff for your help in processing the 2 black sand samples and 1 sample of cons. Thank you too Kevin for your help. You are a very good panner.

Jeff, could you recap the results?

Black sand 1 was a pretty full baggie of black sand from which I'd separated the gold by use of only the plunge type magnet.

Black sand 2 was a smaller amount of black sand that I didn't remember if I'd processed or not.

The third sample was a small amount cons from riverside reducing down numerous pans of bank run material. Nothing removed except for light material at stream side. Is this sample what you sent to Kevin after you'd run it through your process?

Thanks again Jeff and Kevin.

Mike

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Mike. I wanted to see how well I had dialed in the Miller Table before I did all of it. Results so far is...

Black sand one is still pending.
Black sand two was panned and tabled and I found zero visible gold. Tossed it.
Snuffer bottle from your last trip and my last trip in 2016 was panned and tabled and after I was done running it all once, I dried it and shipped it off to Kevin. I still have the vial from the 2 samples to finish cleaning which I will post soon. (there is more gold than sand for sure)

Lesson learned? Rerun your cons if you use a Miller Table! And thanks Kevin! That was fun AND educational! Also Kevin, did you have any trouble with the magnetics? And was really surprised at the number of -50's. I think I need to up the flow and flatten it out a little, which I will do next. :icon_thumright:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My pleasure and no trouble with the magnetic material BUT another tip to avoid pulling gold out with the mags: classify first then use your magnet.

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Back in the saddle again. Had a good time this afternoon doing the final clean up. It's not Kevin Kleen but then again, I didn't reclassify as instructed. Wasn't bad at all tho and used my loupe while I pulled the magnetics. I tried and TRIED to get a picture of the platinum "nuggets" in the magnetics because they looked just like a freshly minted 1964 quarter. That is why I thought the gold was being trapped using the magnet. Without the loop, it was just sparkly and hard to tell with my old eyes. (BTW Mike, I saved what was pictured in the white lid...under magnification, the platinum was beautiful as the gold...really!)

Anyways, here's the pics. The sign was for Karen and she didn't take it personal and best of all, no spills! Last pic is Mike's black sands which needs processing on the Miller Table...once I re-set it that is. (Don't want to give anymore to Kevin :thumbsup:). Also in the pic...when I added water to the soap dish...look at the clump o gold floating (the shadow under even)...before Jet Dry.

NOW! Enuff testing and time to start producing! Here's a tenth to get us started!

IMG_5206.JPG IMG_5207.JPG IMG_5209.JPG

IMG_5217.JPG IMG_5219.JPG IMG_5223.JPG

IMG_5236.JPG IMG_5240.JPG IMG_5241.JPG

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right on Jeff, thank you for you're efforts. It sounds like you had fun.

I just yesterday ordered a Gold Hog Stream Sluice. We'll have to knock the new off it.

Mike

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks clean to me!!

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Right on Jeff, thank you for you're efforts. It sounds like you had fun.

I just yesterday ordered a Gold Hog Stream Sluice. We'll have to knock the new off it.

To Mike

Oh Boy! Can't wait and you done right! :headbang:

To CA[/QUOTE] I'll see your lack of permits and raise you equipment. :blackbeard:

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Had to smile at that sign as we have the same type of tv trays! I'm the klutz in this family as my brain and old bod don't match up. Hope Karen is feeling better by now. Nice to see you guys working together.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread