What kind of sluice for slow and small creek?

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without seeing a picture of what your idea of small and small is I am + 1 with Mike for the Tee Dee Sluice

ratled

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If your lazy water is also flat water then you will be hard pressed to get a sluice to work but.....Many sluice users experience the same conditions and, in some cases, they put together a temporary dam (usually of rocks) and form a small lake then set their sluice in the dam. The effect is increased flow speed and an elevation drop through a gap at the top of the dam. Some times that is enough to run a bazooka but if not, then another type of sluice is used.

Good luck

Last edited:

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the creek is too slow a rocker box might be appropriate. You might need to build your own as all the comercial rockers I have seen on the internet don't have an apron and are not really a rocker box. A recirculating powered slice would be even better than a rocker, IF you are allowed to use power.

Right now, I am working up a concentrator that works like a rocker box apron but it will reciprocate instead of rocking. Have not slapped it together yet. Still just on paper plans.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,
I really want to know what is the best kind of sluice I can use for lazy water. All I have is a BGT and most spots aren't strong enough. Any help is appreciated. Thank you for your time.

This would be the general solution. Not sure how it would work with a BGT.

Clipboard02.jpg

Clipboard03.jpg

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The river that I go to up here in NH is slooowww! We have to build wing dams to get enough volume and speed to make anything run. Our group has about everything. My Tee Dee ez sluice takes about the least amount of water. In the last pic you can see the remains of our old dams. I ended up building a high-banker and pumped water. DSCF0286.JPG DSCF0195.JPG DSCF0390.JPG

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You could also look at one of the smaller Angus Mackirk sluices. Also classify to 8 mesh or 20 mesh even as gentler flows will still work with fine material.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You could also look at one of the smaller Angus Mackirk sluices. Also classify to 8 mesh or 20 mesh even as gentler flows will still work with fine material.

I like this tip for classifying a lot, as it hasn't been mentioned so far, and I'll give it two thumbs up! It really is a good way to take advantage of slower flow. Nicely done Kevin.

All the best,

Lanny

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A tip concerning the building of dams, you can place a piece of tarp over the damn and into the sluice and it will really kick up the flow, you can do it on the bazooka by wrapping the tarp around the bottom and sides and hold in place with a couple of clamps. Duckshot I'd like to hear more about your idea for an oscillating rocker box.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
N-Lionberger, I figure like one end of a sloped box with a screen and a slury droping difuser on a hopper as the mouth of the thingamagig, like a rocker box. One end on a pivot and one end reciprocating. Not occilating or rocking, reciprocating. Have not built the determined model #1 yet but I hope to be able tell you about it. I hope it works. It might not.

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
2 good low flow sluices are either the Angus McKirk of your choice or Le Trap.
If there isn't enough water power to roll a 1" rock down them in 1 second then classify to 1/4". Both catch super small gold and are light weight.

Much Luck,
Mike

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kevin is right on.

You can get ANY sluice to work right if you classify small enough.
i.e. Just visualize the flow of a Miller Table then visualize a 6" dredge running.
Try running the tailings from the 6" down a miller table.
Your next comment would be "are you stupid?" 6" rocks will not go down
a miller table.

Why is that? It's a good example of VERY LOW Proportional Force

That formula looks something like this.

S x SH x WD x WS x OH = PV

Size of rocks x shape of rocks x water depth x water speed x obstacle height (riffle height and drag) = PF

Not to "plug" our product... but it's why we held off for so long before coming out with a steam sluice.
We wanted to solve "problems" with ours and offer a total solution.
One of the problems people faced is exactly what you're saying.
You show up to an area and there is little to no flow.
So you remove the high flow mat... and put in the low flow mat.
Still not enough clearance and exchange?
Then add more pitch and classify down smaller.

Basically when in low flow areas use a sluice that has little resistance, drag, and obstacle height.
Then classify as needed. But your key focus should be on RETAINING THE GOLD in the sluice.
If you have to add more flow to clear the rocks and the gold starts to blow out.
Classify smaller. Don't change the tuning point of your sluice.

Doc

PS - The video below should only be watched when you're asked to the cut the grass and you need to look busy.

Last edited:

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am a big fan of plastic drop riffle sluices. LeTrap is my first choice but it's big and needs a lot of water. I have an Angus McKirk, much smaller and it tolerates lower flow. Drop riffles work great on classified material, not so well on bank run.
Your success will rely on how well you can build wing dams. :icon_thumright:

pcampbell

Feb 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Angus McKirk "Grubsteak" for tiny streams and low flowing water.

Hunt4gold

Oct 20, 2016
Colorado, Littleton
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is a photo of running a Gold Hog stream sluice on a really small creek using an 8' x 5' plastic tarp to dam up the water. Creek before damming was only 3" deep where sluice is. After damming the depth was 7" with a 4" drop on sluice. Still had to classify to 1/4" to run, but it worked.
tarp-dam.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread