oroville dam/feather river questions

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just wondering again in light of the massive spillway failure and subsequent release of the water downstream if anyone dared to look for nuggets. I'm not being insensitive to the plight of the communities affected but was curious to the overall situation there. The water has not be let off in that quantity in a good long time and wonder if anyone dared to look or was even allowed to putz around in the river. I would think when they shut it down this week someone would have the wherewithal to look..

Upvote 0

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How close can one get? I'd sure want to get a look. It's not everyday you can explore when the spigot is turned off just after a flood.

Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
South Fork Yuba River, Motherlode
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I haven't been there in years..you could access the river from riverfront park, but it's closed due to the flooding.
another way on to the river is to park at walmart on oroville dam blvd., go past the southbound onramp to 70 and turn left down the path.
all about a 15-20 minute walk.
you'll have to beat the bushes a little to get near the rapids, when I was there I waded through a stagnant side-pool, but this must be under deep water now.
there was a small spit of land that was parallel to 70 and a cement plant, quite a few people working it. the guy who was doing the best was in the head of the rapids shoveling into 2 boxes he had banked in. there was a light clay holding the gold, broke up fairly fast in his boxes.
lots of blackberries to get through, maybe bringing a machete would help.
there's a road on the other bank, a look at a map would tell you where you can access, but that bank was steep and now deep water at the bottom.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The place I would want to poke around would be the newly exposed bedrock adjacent to the spillway. However, this land would be privately owned by the dam project and most likely very off limits to anyone.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't vouch for the validity, but one of the so called conspiracy sites said there were "miners out with pans already". Anyone else hear anything along these lines? Was way under caffeinated and can't remember where I saw it.

bcfromfl

Feb 18, 2016
Youngstown, FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 4500,
Fisher Gold Bug Pro,
Gold Hog stream sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't vouch for the validity, but one of the so called conspiracy sites said there were "miners out with pans already". Anyone else hear anything along these lines? Was way under caffeinated and can't remember where I saw it.

Not sure if this is what you saw, but there is video at this link: Oroville's new gold rush | ABC10.com

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bureauratz on tv running around taking gold from miners and running them off as stated THEIR STATE PROPERTY sic sic sic sic :BangHead:

gldguy1

Apr 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buddy of mine said he was run out from up there over same, saying it's the state property

Bus1

Feb 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped at Bed rock Park today and prospectors where out there . I talked to a couple that hiked into Feather Bend park and they said people where up and down the river .

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I understand the speculation about the gold potential. It certainly is tempting to find out if there might be gold there. There is no history of gold on that hill but the old timers didn't get it all.

It's illegal trespass to prospect State or private property without written permission. Taking gold from private or State land without written permission is theft. That has always been the law in California.

ALL of the area around the dam is either State or private property.

Complain if you wish but bragging how you will be or have been prospecting there is painting miners as trespassing thieves and criminals.

You will steal other people's gold if you are a thief but please don't call yourself a miner. Miners in California are having a tough time convincing the public they aren't the enemy without trespassers and thieves claiming to be miners.

If you don't like the fact that California State lands can't be prospected lobby to get the law changed. If you can't wait for the several lifetimes that would take move to a mining friendly state where state land prospecting and mining leases are available to everyone with a few dollars.

If you don't want to leave California to find good gold - start prospecting public lands open to location. Or get permission from one of the many private landowners there to prospect their land. I see thousands of ounces found by independent prospectors from public lands open to location in California every year. Most of the gold in California is still in the ground. You don't need to trespass or steal to get gold in California. It just takes a little research and hard work.

It's still out there. Go get u sum! :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand the speculation about the gold potential. It certainly is tempting to find out if there might be gold there. There is no history of gold on that hill but the old timers didn't get it all.

It's illegal trespass to prospect State or private property without written permission. Taking gold from private or State land without written permission is theft. That has always been the law in California.

ALL of the area around the dam is either State or private property.

Complain if you wish but bragging how you will be or have been prospecting there is painting miners as trespassing thieves and criminals.

You will steal other people's gold if you are a thief but please don't call yourself a miner. Miners in California are having a tough time convincing the public they aren't the enemy without trespassers and thieves claiming to be miners.

If you don't like the fact that California State lands can't be prospected lobby to get the law changed. If you can't wait for the several lifetimes that would take move to a mining friendly state where state land prospecting and mining leases are available to everyone with a few dollars.

If you don't want to leave California to find good gold - start prospecting public lands open to location. Or get permission from one of the many private landowners there to prospect their land. I see thousands of ounces found by independent prospectors from public lands open to location in California every year. Most of the gold in California is still in the ground. You don't need to trespass or steal to get gold in California. It just takes a little research and hard work.

It's still out there. Go get u sum! [emoji106]

Heavy Pans
well said

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a phrase for what happened at Orville Dam - "Government Oversight"! So the Governor of California did not see fit to fix the flaw in the Dam Thing (spillway) nor to fiscally take care of the State he is responsible for. Very very poor grade on his taking care of California!.................63bkpkr

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They got that place on lockdown, if your not working on it your not even gonna get close to take a picture.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many huge cracks shown from spillway pics took last summer and gal (dam rep) on noon news said never seen...jus' mo'shuckn' and a jivn'...sic sic sic-:dontknow: plausible denial went out the window long ago...John

OP
OP
B

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello again, just wondering if the area is still on lock down or did they ease up on the acess issue. I didn't see anything in the news lately other than where the money is going to come from to fix it.

gldguy1

Apr 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I can tell it's still on lock down. They are racing to fix it before winter and they are talking about water releases if we get too much more rain from what I herd on the news the other day

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread