New thought on glaciers

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just had a new thought on the glaciation in Wisconsin. What if the north polar ice sheet shifted south during the Biblical flood and pushed everything around?

Here's what the ice sheet on Lake Winnebago can do in a wind. Think of what a continent sized ice sheet could do if it got moving!

IMG_2953.JPG
IMG_2954.JPG

So instead of a couple thousand year march, the bottom of the floating ice sheet bulldozed everything rather quickly.

Upvote 0

Sockeye1730

Feb 7, 2017
Juneau AK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope, pretry sure that's not the case....unless everything we know about geology and physics is wrong.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In a flood, ice would float (!!) so even if your religion leads you to believe the earth has only existed for a few thousand years, a biblical flood would not explain glacial action.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was pretty slow. The last ice age ended about 12,000 years age. But it lasted almost 100,000 years. Can do some serious grinding in that time.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think chasing Glacial Erratic is a lot of fun. We don't have any gold deposits here in New York, but we do have a lot of Glacial Erratic deposits, from small fist-sized rocks, to train car- sized boulders. There have been several found that contained good amounts of gold over the last couple-hundred years. As far as your theory on glacial movement, I can't agree. :skullflag:

pcampbell

Feb 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately we can not take into account the biblical flood. There is no evidence of such a flood occurring. There would be an obvious world-wide deposit layer but this is not the case.

Realistically what probably happened in the biblical days is that the area by Istanbul opened up allowing the Mediterranean Sea to flood in and create the Black Sea. This was such a large area and part of the area that ancient civilization existed that they probably thought it was a world wide flood.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The straits of Bosporus? That makes sense.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thats interesting. What is the timeline based on? How is it inferred that the last ice age was almost 100,000 years long?

Layers of sediment and carbon dating of plant/wood in each layer of the sediment. Science.

Also btw, that last ice age was so loooong that the worms in the east and Midwest all died. When the first Europeans showed up, they saw great mounds of mouldy leaves in the forests. The Indians used to set fires to deal with it. The Europeans accidentally brought worms with them in the root balls of food plants they brought and propagated...replenishing the worms along the eastern seaboard.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't place much faith in carbon dating. Carbon dating makes the assumption not only that radioactive decay takes place at a constant, consistent rate over time but also that time itself is a constant. If you want to build a philosophy around carbon dating I probably can't convince you otherwise. But it ain't science, it is scientific theory.

BTW, I'm in wisconsin. From what i heard the worms here are no accident. The early german settlers brought them for their fields when they got word in the homeland that there weren't any here. Can't grow a decent fielderkraut without proper aeration, which earthworms provide.

I have seen ice blow across a lake. Takes a long while to get going but once it starts it is slow to stop moving while crashing into peir, shore, boathouse and sometimes house. Its like watching a trainwreck in slow motion.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Your points are all constructive...except your "faith" in carbon dating. It's usefulness does not depend on faith or your whimsy. It is well proven and documented.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing for sure, most of North America was completely under seawater during the Precambrian period. :icon_thumleft:
The fossil record proves it and I've seen them first hand.

GG~

Last edited:

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your points are all constructive...except your "faith" in carbon dating. It's usefulness does not depend on faith or your whimsy. It is well proven and documented.

If you cannot prove it your own self KevininColorado, then you are dependent on the observations and word of others.

Back before man found out that the earth isn't the center of the solar system they still had celestial navigation. Navigation at the time was dependent on a chart book that had the planets and constellations wandering the sky in irregular patterns. It was acceptably predictive and accurate as far as navigation goes, but it was totally and completely wrong.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you cannot prove it your own self KevininColorado, then you are dependent on the observations and word of others.

Back before man found out that the earth isn't the center of the solar system they still had celestial navigation. Navigation at the time was dependent on a chart book that had the planets and constellations wandering the sky in irregular patterns. It was acceptably predictive and accurate as far as navigation goes, but it was totally and completely wrong.

Hey Duckshot since you are a charter member you will have access to this thread. Over 1000 posts debating whether the planet Earth is flat like a pancake or round like a ball. No joke over 1000 posts. You gotta see it to believe it. The op believes the world is flat because he read it in a book. The belief is supported by professional folks around the world or across it depending on your point of view.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/p...an-we-trust-our-history-books-you-decide.html

Last edited:

Sockeye1730

Feb 7, 2017
Juneau AK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't place much faith in carbon dating. Carbon dating makes the assumption not only that radioactive decay takes place at a constant, consistent rate over time but also that time itself is a constant. If you want to build a philosophy around carbon dating I probably can't convince you otherwise. But it ain't science, it is scientific theory.

BTW, I'm in wisconsin. From what i heard the worms here are no accident. The early german settlers brought them for their fields when they got word in the homeland that there weren't any here. Can't grow a decent fielderkraut without proper aeration, which earthworms provide.

I have seen ice blow across a lake. Takes a long while to get going but once it starts it is slow to stop moving while crashing into peir, shore, boathouse and sometimes house. Its like watching a trainwreck in slow motion.

And I've seen break-up on the Yukon...what's your point?

Waving books? There is a literal mountain of data to refute your claim. If you have any actual physical evidence that radiometric dating is wrong, please publish it, collect your Nobel Prize, and we will talk about Dr. Duckshot (surely you'll receive an honorary doctorate or 3) in text books for generations to come.

What was incorrect about celestial navigation? not seeing the connection there. People were just using the best technology available to them at the time, and its every bit as valid today.

Interesting about the worms, never read about that before.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What was incorrect about celestial navigation? not seeing the connection there. People were just using the best technology available to them at the time, and its every bit as valid today.

Well its been some time since i studied it, but for starters they had the sun revolving around the earth, Venus frequently disappeared and materialized elsewhere, and Saturn zig-zagged around.

Totally wrong, but for all the right reasons.

Sockeye1730

Feb 7, 2017
Juneau AK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Methinks you should study up again instead of just making things up. Navigators used upward of 50 stars and planets in their calcs, depending on what was available. Sun, moon, and Polaris the most common. Precise angular measurements were used. Even the Mayans figured out the planetary orbits thousands of years ago...jeez

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mr Duckshot, it's not really inferred, but deduced. First off, do you believe you can tell how old a tree is by counting it's rings? Yes? Good. In the Antarctic, or on any glacier, each year leaves a new layer of ice. Over time it compresses, and if you cut a slice of it you would see layers, or curve it into a circle, you have rings. Do you accept that really old ice in the Antarctic will have layers, each indicating a separate year? Good. They have drilled and extracted continuous ice cores near Vostok, Antarctica, having 420,000 layers! If we can agree this represents 420,00 uninterrupted years we can move on. Analyzing the atmospheric CO2 trapped in the ice, shows a cyclical rise and fall of CO2 levels. High levels mean warm climate, low means cold. From this info, the recorded levels indicate 4 ice ages in the last 420,000 years, each lasting around 100,00 years, with warm periods ( we live in one now ) lasting 10,000 to 30,000 years. The last ice age ended around 12,000 to 13,000 years ago.

Sockeye1730

Feb 7, 2017
Juneau AK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And how in the world did all those bombers in WWII find the way to their targets without GPS?

Oh yeah, a sextant, compass and watch...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread