Harumph

spaghettigold

Oct 14, 2013
western sahara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
why am i start loosing hair on my head where i want it ,and instead grows stronger in my nose...and why clay diggins is greasy and wet while you refuse a wetsuit.

see ,you can work out things even with territorial guys,once you give the last word to the agencies you are dependent on theyre grace.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gerry(asmbandits) has a decent claim. Should he give it up because life makes him busy?

You guys keep missing the point. The question was never should Gerry give up his claim. It was why would he pay money to keep it? But I don't think I'm ever going to get my answer....Besides I allready know what it is. It's for recreation! Or, not in Gerries case but for mining other miners, or a tax break. The tax break is something I just learned from Clay. Thanks again for that education Clay.

I guess some will never be considered a "miner" in the eyes of the biased.

Thanks for kicking the hornets nest
Goldflecks
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
delete

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It costs less than 60 bucks a year to keep a claim. Ten bucks more per claim up to ten.

It's even less per year if you have partners.

We do work instead of paying the maintenance fee.
I guess those that are willing can.

There is a lot of good open ground to claim. I've just never seen a hurdle to access, or available ground
It's actually the cheaper way compares to buying a claim or joining a group.
That's why I try to help people figure it out.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You better have good paperwork in order for a tax break that matters.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do think it's funny to call mining "selfish"...when literally everyone depends on miners sharing their wealth.

I agree people can get "selfish" with spots. That goes for hunting, fishing, and going to antique stores.
There is no shortage of places to go look for gold in our state.
Screw combat fishing and panning.
I'm glad I don't have to "settle" for the best place I've heard about. That is for sure.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You better have good paperwork in order for a tax break that matters.
Just found out some people have really good paper work ;)

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Side note that in 1848 mining law required a claim to be worked "once" per week or was invalid.. but you know those old guys didn't know what they were talking about. just crazed liberals I think

Last edited:

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
it's a fabulous read. you should find some time for it good sir.

https://archive.org/details/diaryafortynine01canfgoog

I have a copy of the original yourtime. That and several other fantasies published during the 1880 - 1920 period provide occasional amusement. I see no law there only the musings of an imaginary bystander 60 years after the fact. From the introduction to the book:

First published in 1906
The diary "purported to be the experiences of Alfred T. Jackson, a pioneer miner who ... worked on Rock Creek, Nevada County, California." Pref. p. ix. The name Alfred T. Jackson is probably fictitious
Chauncey de Leon Canfield (1843-1909) first published "The diary of a forty-niner" in 1906, and 1,200 of the 2,000 copies in that edition were burned. Joseph Gaer's Bibliography of California literature, 20 describes this book as written in the form of a diary, but fictional.'

Clearly neither historical fact nor a first hand account. This book and many other's fall into the popular nostalgia of the "dime store novel" that was so successful as America went from a period encouraging exploration and adventure to one of nostalgia and conformity.

Read them and enjoy them as I have but please don't rely on them to understand mining law of the period. They are fantasies designed to excite the bored populace of an industrial nation. Reading about cowboys, bandits and miners was a form of entertainment before radio and movies became common in the factory towns and farmlands of America.

Heavy Pans

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
District law is not the same as federal Mining Law. One allows for the other. there is variance of laws by District and State. No dictate from the top down.

There were quite a few unique district bylaws.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. ok. well aree to disagree then. but you have no more proof to the diaries fiction than I do to its reality.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think about it. If you reference a "mining Law" from 1848 you are referencing a local "customary" law.

They were never ever almost all of the time the same.

From Coloma on out to the other discoveries as well as the hundreds of camps forming all over the state.

California wasn't a State. There was no placer act yet the combined acts were decades off.

The acts later allowed the miners to keep up the majority of their customs and districts. Thats where the on the ground stuff would come from. I.E 15ft claims, a shovel in your hole means it's your claim. No Chileans or Chinamen.
None of that came from the government and in reference to what we deal with today just is not properly labeled as "Mining Law" Thank goodness congress leveled the playing field and really did open up mining to a fella with a running brain and a desire to work. They purposely didn't tell you when or how often. With the understanding that working men would pretty much sort the rest out. If they really wanted to make some money.

I'm way more worried about being a full blown outlaw than I am finding places to go. Though I moved from socal to change that. So I wouldn't have to rely on a PARK to go do stuff with the permission of the crown and a tag in my window. No sympathy here for the Babylonians that's for sure.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow. ok. well aree to disagree then. but you have no more proof to the diaries fiction than I do to its reality.

This is just silly. All you read should be considered fiction until proven true. I think the last year of public discourse in the US proves that!

OP
OP
M

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Obviously I listened to it. And my views I suspect are quite clear.. And I feel no reason at this time for them to change.

But I find myself wanting to delve a little deeper.. And on my views of Recreational Prospecting. Now I suspect that I sometimes make it sound and even speak in tones that puts Recreational prospecting in a negative way. I myself started recreationally about a decade or so ago.
But I do not consider recreational prospecting the intent of mining law. Nor do I think recreational prospecting is protected by Mining Law. I personally feel that the reason we are in the situation we are in today is a direct result of individuals perversing law for their own benefit.. GPAA New 49rs and on and on an on.. Recreational clubs at the sole exspense of the mining community for the sake of a good time .recreation has helped destroy another small trade. ALL CLUB claims are RECREATIONAL CLAIMS..(Fake Mining Claims)UNLAWFUL..
For me I have a RIGHT to make my living off of the Minerals and my intent to do so is what gives me the right. Mining laws doesn't protect me for recreational purpose.. Lipstick on a pig.

GW
The things with RIGHTS; is they cant take them away.. And when they do some just roll over.. Others become an outlaw.. I hope I have the courage to become an outlaw..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread