b-a-r

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2017
Belgrade, MT
Detector(s) used
Minelab Bold Monster 1000. Whites TRX
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi all, newbie to the site here... Just spent the day on Shirtail yesterday. Came down Yankee Jims from the Colfax side, left up through Forest Hill side. I drive a 2008 RAM 2500 4x4.. the road down from Colfax is ok, but much rougher than the Forest Hill side.. Forest hill side has larger, more frequent turnouts. Spoke with a ranger giving tickets down at the bridge, said it was fine to park in the turn-outs up the Forest Hill side, no fee needed..
First trip of the year, packed in a sluice and spent some time exploring about 1/2 mi of the road side of Shirt tail... got about 7-8 flakes of flood gold.. did find an old long shovel someone left as well as an old alum ladder someone left in the creek that was a good foundation for my sluice. :)
Water is warm and decent flow for sluicing. Poison oak is still young and not sapping much yet. Almost no mosquitoes to speak of. Temp was perfect all day. Great first trip of the season.. IMG_8586.JPG-3.jpeg IMG_8578.JPG-2.jpeg IMG_8580.JPG.jpeg IMG_8579.JPG-2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
infotraker

infotraker

Dec 20, 2013
Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We got across shirttail creek by wading and held on to a rope someone strung across. Path is good upstream but lots of poison oak . Water is still high and fast. Do not fall in. So no fee by the bridge on the forest hill side ?

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even the road to the still is smoother then this old pothole filled road :)
When I was a kid it was dirt and 4 x 4 or truck in some spots, today, after that the greenies complained it was to rough, it's mostly graveled and they can drive their BMW's down it now :evil6:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread