207M&R

Tenderfoot
Mar 18, 2017
Harpswell, ME
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just finished adding some grizzly bars to my Le Trap gold pan. I wanted to make it a more efficient for prospecting and testing in coarse gravels. It is just 1/4" mild steel round stock welded with a cheap stick welder. Would look much better if I had a TIG Welder. Wanted to share the idea with everyone! I haven't tested it yet and probably won't be able to right off because of going back on my work rotation.

Thanks, Ben
Le Trap 1.JPG Le Trap 2.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP

207M&R

Tenderfoot
Mar 18, 2017
Harpswell, ME
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jeff,
Probably more trouble than it was worth.
Maybe I should have used a grill grate to have saved on the time and frustration with my welder haha.

Sam_at_Armadillo

Oct 1, 2016
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did ya know that the original Le Trap pans came with classifieds made to seat in them. I have not personally ever seen them, but I have been told about them from Ol' Timers.
Anyone out there still have have them? I would love to see a picture!
:-)
Sam

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have seen one but do not own one. I would like to have one the Le Trap is a cool pan.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Too bad the pan is not made of metal you could get a nice Ribeye on that thing. Excellent work Ben. Fiddling and experimenting is the key to success and saves on the outlay. Some ribbed matting might do well in it. Keep posting.

OP
OP

207M&R

Tenderfoot
Mar 18, 2017
Harpswell, ME
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't know that the pans ever came with a classifier. I looked for pictures and couldn't find any. That would be neat to see if anyone has pictures, I second that Sam. The idea of putting some deep V matting in the bottom is great. Once the pan is stratified it might allow me to pan a bit more aggressively and not worry about losing the fine gold up here in the Northeast.
Thanks for the input guys!!

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you can figure out a way to hinge the grizzly at the dump end it would improve your mod even more. That said, I saw one demonstrated at a gold show several years ago and I don't seem to recall that there was any problem in clearing the larger stones by just brushing or washing them off the end after the heavies were settled.

Good luck

Last edited:

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
Did ya know that the original Le Trap pans came with classifieds made to seat in them. I have not personally ever seen them, but I have been told about them from Ol' Timers.
Sam

I bought a Le Trap the first year they came to the U.s. and never saw a classifier!

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't think it's a secret....every old refrigerator has a half dozen "classifiers" of various sizes inside. Don't forget to check out the back 'cause they usually have a fairly large "safety" grid covering the coils.

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
20170329_231009.jpg
I thought I had 5 but only 3 were in the pile. I also 20170329_231009.jpg had two pans so maybe the other 2 are with the other pan.
They look a little funky but they are factory. The mesh markings aren't just marker. They are raised.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:

Sam_at_Armadillo

Oct 1, 2016
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way Cool "Vance in AK" Thank you!
Not even what I was expecting.
I always imagined they would look something like the cool grate that started this thred.

Sam

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
Any guesses as to when your season will begin Vance? How much snow pack is still on the ground now? Cheney Lake in Anch used to ice out around 5/8.
Today is mid 20s but weather man says in a few days its supposed to go to mid 40s for the highs. If that's true I'd say we still have a good 6 weeks before things START opening up in the "high country" (about 1500' around here!).
I AM READY!!!!!!!!!

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Today is mid 20s but weather man says in a few days its supposed to go to mid 40s for the highs. If that's true I'd say we still have a good 6 weeks before things START opening up in the "high country" (about 1500' around here!).
I AM READY!!!!!!!!!

Thank You! Gawd, I hate hijacking a thread but I was SO about to pm you. LOL :laughing7:

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sam

Picked these up at an estate sale many years ago, use them all the time. I have a couple more somewhere. :occasion14:

letap pans.jpg

Attachments

• 20170401_230143.jpg
    20170401_230143.jpg
    736.5 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pyramid pan just a grizzly gold pan on steriods!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread