OP
OP
G

gypsojacko

Tenderfoot
Mar 27, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it appears to have layers, but does not flake or peel apart. crushes into what appears to be gold dust

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like Mica. Is it light or heavy? What general area, geological setting? etc.

Last edited:

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What it is I don't know but if you block the light going to it with your hand and it still is as bright as with light on it then it is gold, simple test.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I can identify it for you. Its what we call a worthless rock. If you need affirmation crush it to powder and pan it out. If there is gold in there it will be the stuff that does not go rolling sideways when you swirl the water around in the pan. Good Luck

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you found a rock.....I have heard of them being found before

OP
OP
G

gypsojacko

Tenderfoot
Mar 27, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like Mica. Is it light or heavy? What general area, geological setting? etc.

Mountain creek bed. I thought it was mica but wasnt quite matching up to descriptions/pics just thought id ask the experts and make sure i wasnt passing something up. After further research it seems it's only value is crushed as a pigment/makeup. Thanks to you first two!

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gypsojacko

Tenderfoot
Mar 27, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can identify it for you. Its what we call a worthless rock. If you need affirmation crush it to powder and pan it out. If there is gold in there it will be the stuff that does not go rolling sideways when you swirl the water around in the pan. Good Luck

well, at least its advice. Thanks!

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey those guys are just pull in' your chain. A nice take home specimen of leverite.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey I found something real similar to it last year. I stopped at a small culvert that was crossing under the road and it was right after a heavy downpour. The piece was just sitting there and actually looked closer to gold than yours does but it wasnt. It sat on my desk at work since i found it and I finally crushed it with a hammer during lunch last month. Worthless crumbly junk but was a conversation piece for those that didnt know what gold looks like. You will find many rocks in your digging career that will try to fool you or just look like they should have some color in them. Just keep at it and you may get lucky someday.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If it crushes and shatters, it's not gold. Gold will flatten and bend like lead. It's mostly likely pyrite. If you crush pyrite you can usually smell a slight sulphur odor. Smack it with a hammer slightly and examine where it splits. Pyrite will often leave angular, cubical or pyramidal fractures

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
......best to ask before ya just toss it out. I'm sure most of you heard that the Comstock was first a gold mine and had to contend with that darn gooey green/blue clay stuff. HA!

Last edited:

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ya know, I looked at that again (and without the answers to it's weight and magnetic properties) and just might guess that it's a copper jacketed lead bullet that has tumbled down the creek for a long distance. Kinda concave/convex and I've seen lead achieve that dark coloration.....but then again it could just be a rock.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread