Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

Here is another interesting article I came across that talks about research that proves the gold humans have access to in the Earth's crust came from gold contained in meteorites that impacted the planet after the planetary crust had already formed and solidified. It also refers to the fact that most of the gold in the Earth was pulled to the core by gravity while the earth was still in a molten state.

This also makes me wonder what formed the gold in the meteorites. It would have had to have been created in stars that later went supernova. There is still a lot we don't know.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/09/110907132044.htm

Last edited:
Upvote 0

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron-nickel meteorites do indeed have trace amounts of gold,iridium,etc. Because gold is formed in what would be the later stages of a supernova and it's only able to be formed for a very short duration, there is naturally less of it. Gravity sent it toward the core when the Earth was still molten, and plate tectonics along with volcanism put it in the places found today,along with surface activity such as rivers and such. What's to understand? It all makes perfect sense,as long as no conspiracy theorists are present....

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
People, by their nature, want answers. A curious breed.
Meteorite analysis that I have available lists these percentages:
Iron 88-92.46%
Ni 6.9-16.32%
CO 0.42-0.55%
P .57-0.0001%
S trace-0.26%
C trace-0.4%
Cu None-.05%
Si trace-.04%
Mn none-trace
Cr trace-0.02%

trace of Gallium, palladium, gold, zinc, analysis in ppm and are not included in the main list.
These numbers are from the Glorieta fall but are representative of meteorites I've read about.
More modern forms of measurement might have more exact percentages.
The numbers here don't seem to be anywhere close to accounting for the gold on Earth.

Follow the evidence. Theories are not laws but we build most everything with theories and very few laws.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, good Lord! The foolishness of people trying to explain how things came to be all by itself.

Although it might be an entertaining thought, but after you realize that from all of the millions of meteorites recovered to date every single one is made of iron and doesn't contain a single trace of gold.

Nor is any gold associated with any meteor crater, it is always associated with quartz veins or hydrothermal deposits.

I don't disagree, but there is a pre-ice age crater in N.W. Wisconsin called The Rock Elm Disturbance where gold is found in abundance compared to surrounding areas. Whether the gold was pushed up from the Earth by the impact, deposited in the depression by roaming ice sheets, or left from the meteor itself has not been determined.

OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When the Earth formed there was a lot more material spread around in our solar system than there is today. Judging what was going on billions of years ago by what is going on today when it comes to the content of asteroids and meteorites would not be valid in my opinion. Heavier asteroids would have tended to clump together in the early solar system due to gravitational attraction, perhaps serving as the cores of moons and planets. Which could easily explain why we don't find gold in most meteorites found by humans. Gravity already combed the majority of gold rich asteroids out of free space. So they are likely much less common.

ClaimStake

Jul 27, 2015
Oroville CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2 (sold it)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
don't drink the coolaid.

you would be surprised how misled the population is about how things really work.

we don't need people running around with high powered hand held ray guns.

reality is all smoke and mirrors, the universe is just a holodeck.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I won't make any profound conclusions but here are a couple of studies with their own interesting "facts"/educated guesses.

Somewhere between 5 and 300 metric tons of cosmic dust enter Earth's atmosphere EVERY DAY according to this report. https://www.universetoday.com/94392/getting-a-handle-on-how-much-cosmic-dust-hits-earth/.

Chondrite meteorites, for one, have been estimated to contain about 1.4 ppm of Au in the metallic phase of those meteorites (by definition that is 1.4 gm Au/metric ton) and other types contain a similar quantity according to this report. https://pubs.usgs.gov/circ/1968/0603/report.pdf.

Cosmic dust must be mostly made up of the same composition of the different types of meteorites including the metallic phase of chondrites so for millions or billions of years......draw your own conclusions.

Last edited:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
What was there Free Meth Day on Tnet; never seen so many astronomers in one place before.

OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does meth have to do with being knowledgeable about astronomy and asteroids?

ClaimStake

Jul 27, 2015
Oroville CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2 (sold it)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
tweekers claim jumping and trashing has become a bit of a problem for some miners here in california.

so any deviation from the mainstream ways of thinking and you're immediately suspected of sutch.

most theories are not the director's cut.

the truth?! you can't handle the truth..., that is the truth. your brain would explode.

I wouldn't have access to the gold I do if it weren't for what I know.

Last edited:

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
High voltage experimentation, Class IV lasers and meth don't mix well!

Never look down a microwave waveguide with your remaining good eye!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread