New sluice and it's spring time !!

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Jeff and fellow prospectors. I had a nice talk with you Saturday Jeff, we'll have to hit the water soon.

My new Gold Hog sluice arrived today. An amazing journey from Doc; Beginning in Bogart, Ga., Doraville, Ga., San Pablo, Ca., Anderson, Ca. Eureka, Ca., Fort Dick, Ca.

Below is a picture of the new sluice in front of the river rock hearth I built, which Jeff mentioned. Still working on the mantle and perimeter base.
I'm sorry, I just can't get the photos to post upright. Maybe one of you better at computer stuff can rotate these photos.

IMG_2951[1].JPG

Here's a photo of the garden, my trusty Dodge and cabin next door. Notice the new broccoli plants.

IMG_2946[1].JPG

Here's a photo looking the other direction showing the fire pit, garden area and my house. The peach trees are blooming. Spring is here!!!

IMG_2947[1].JPG

I hope you all have a great spring/summer of prospecting and mining. Myself, going on 4 - 10s at work should allow me to get a bunch of home projects and chores done early this year with some long weekends to chase the gold.

Mike

Upvote 0

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great looking stone work Mike! Love the old saw and axe. I have an old family whip saw as well as a hatchet I use almost daily when it is cool that my grandfather used up the Klondike. Turned my dirt over in my garden spot up here in Coos and the dirt is cold underneath. Couple spuds I missed last year at harvest where eyeing up pretty good though. I'll have time to garden more this year as no commercial fishing for salmon south of Florence. Been very restricted dredging, but still depressed runs including the fall Klamath Chinook. Go figure, but I guess we already have! How much dirt is in the black pipes? I have some black pipe that I'd like to try that with. I've got tall trees, but mine are dang spruce and the tops snap off when it gets 100 mph. Unnerving!

OP
OP
delnorter

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Herb. Yes, the rock is slow to warm but holds the heat and reflects it well and long once heated.

Gardening, hunting and fishing have been a big part of my life. Taking care to get the most out of all is a sometimes a lot of work, but what a pleasure. Jodie baked up a fantastic boysenberry/loganberry pie from last years crop just last week. With some vanilla ice cream, oh boy.

Below is some of the previous harvests. bottom L-R: venison in gravy, green beans, apples & peaches, middle: boysenberry jam, kippered springer salmon, albacore tuna and top is dehydrated apple slices.
IMG_0281-c.jpg

As to the chain saws of preference, Stihl is my go to favorite. I have and use a Husqvarna also which is a very good saw as well. For reliability, power and user friendly features Stihl takes the cake. At work we use both makes often but prefer the Stihl. We use the small MS211, medium MS460 and the large O66 (with a 5 or 6 foot bar) Stihls. The best feature on the newer saws we have is the compression release button. It make the starting so much easier. Especially for an old guy like me.

Mike

Well, I tried to rotate the picture and erase the original but I see I have to work on my posting/editing. Now I can't get rid of it.

Attachments

• IMG_0281.JPG
    IMG_0281.JPG
    953.3 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
dont forget the chanterelles, morels have been poping up here.

OP
OP
delnorter

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, we gave it a try prospecting today Jeff. Not much luck on the gold, but it was nice to get on the river, on a beautiful day with a good friend. More rain coming.

Mike

OP
OP
delnorter

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks wildminer,

Ya, that's a pretty wicked hand saw. The axe was passed down to me from the old timer who lived in my cabin. Old Swiss gentleman that lived to be 101. That's who the cabin is named after; "Joe's Cabin" If you can, zoom in on the shovel to the left of the stove. It's pretty unique as well. Kind of hard to see. I'll post a better picture soon.

I also have volunteer potatoes coming up. As to the salmon, even the Yurok are cancelling their season on the Klamath. I believe there will be a small subsistence catch allowed for the native Americans.

The black sections of culvert are about 3/4 full. Last year I grew a variety of different tomatoes in them. The heat generated by the black material really helped here on the coast (about 2 miles inland from the ocean).

The wind and tall trees make for dangerous situations alright. That's why we have the long bars on the Stihl 066 mentioned above. We've had some truly large redwood trees come down on the highways up here the last few years.

Get after that garden, I'm sure spring is here and summer is just around the corner.

Mike

OP
OP
delnorter

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's cool beekbuster, we have a much better mushroom season in the fall over here. I dehydrate them and store in canning jars. My favorite are the King Boletes which grow in the sandy soil around the spruce trees close to the coast. From a large one (common) a single slice will cover your burger.

Mike

OP
OP
delnorter

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Asmbandit, you can do it and your "hun" will be beside herself.

I hadn't done any stone or masonry projects before and did OK, learning as I went. I'm going to be doing some back yard patio type stone work also. I tore off the old redwood deck and am going to have more of a court yard area. I can get some nice river rock close by and some beautiful rough stone from slides we clean up at work along the Smith River.

Get after that wishing well. Might come in handy before you go mining/prospecting.

Mike

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, we gave it a try prospecting today Jeff. Not much luck on the gold, but it was nice to get on the river, on a beautiful day with a good friend. More rain coming.

Mike

It was a perfect day in my book too Mike and thanks for the new spot. We were in the sun for the first time in a long long while and the pm breeze came up right on time. Getting out for a few hours yesterday reminded me today that you use virtually all the muscle groups while prospecting. That and following you on a trail makes me think I'm trying to keep up with a gazelle. :tongue3: The gold was much like fishing as in you should have seen it last time. Mike got one trophy flake right off the bat but we got nothing but fines after that. BUT...gold in every sample tells me we were in the right neighborhood. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread