6" Concentric on the GMT?

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
from what i hear it will find fly poop

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty much all of the coils find fly poop. If your working a bedrock patch then you may have a use for it but how often are you going to change it out to that smaller coil? I had the hot foot for my GMT and loved it but I passed on the small coil because I knew that it would never get used. I can get 5grain nuggets down to small flakes all day long with the stock coil and have no need to go smaller in this area. I can find fly poop with just a pan all day long. I talked to a number of people who convinced me that it would never get used when I bought my gmt, including the dealer.

OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, Reed, it all depends on the country you're working in. It's also a personal decision. I've used my 4 x 6 shooter quite a bit. I gues you've never used the 6" concentric or you'd have given me some feedback on it?
jim

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, Reed, it all depends on the country you're working in. It's also a personal decision. I've used my 4 x 6 shooter quite a bit. I gues you've never used the 6" concentric or you'd have given me some feedback on it?
jim

Exactly, but I have used that size on down to the 4" on other machines. I have the small coils for the GPX5000 and have used them but I could live without them. If you want to find really small stuff, then it works but it's just not much smaller then your going to get with the standard 6 x 10" because with the frequency the GMT operates on, sensitivity to small targets is more the function of that frequency then the coil size and the 4 x 6" rocks. Honestly, if you could get one, I loved the Hot Foot because I could go anywhere with it. Also the 4 x 6" DD that you have is a great coil and it will find smaller gold then the 6 x 10" as well And I would love to hear about which one you end up liking better.
The way that I look at things is if I like the looks of something, I buy it and I've had a number of the 6" coils on other machines and I prefer the DD's on the GMT only because I have 3 other machines that I use more often. 6" round reminds me too much of the 70's :evil6:
I've been using my Tesoro Vaquero quite a bit more then the others at the ocean these days, but that's the life in retirement :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I haven't found my 4 x 6 shooter to be any more sensitive to small gold than the 6 x 10, though it's great for getting into tight areas. I have an experienced friend in Australia who has found the same thing. That's one reason I want to try the 6" concentric. I'm going to buy one, assuming I don't see a bunch of negative comments about it. Obviously, there aren't many out there yet.....very few comments. I guess I'll end up writing up a review...I know others are also interested. From the little I've heard, it's a very hot coil. We'll see. I've got a good place to try it, once all the snow melts...LOL
I agree about the frequency issue, and think the GMT and Goldmasters may be in the sweet spot at the 50khz +/-. That said, I'd have a GB2, also, assuming I had unlimited money...Ha!
Jim

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been kicking around the GB2 idea for years also... Kicked myself again just now :) but I've been using White's since my old 5900 DI Pro Plus days, that I think I still have in the attic :evil6: I'm off to go look for it now, hehe...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had a chance to buy one of old model GB2's a couple of years ago, near new, with 2 coils, for $450. Passed it up...big mistake! It was in a small Idaho town about 90 miles from me. I've been kicking myself over that blunder ever since.
My oldest is one of the early 70's Garrett Master Hunter BFO's. Has two sets of double coils, and still works great. It's really good on finding black sand.
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread