Backpack Dredge

Bob_T2

Jan 24, 2013
Reno, Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend gave me a small backpack type dredge. It came with a dandy little Couple Jet nozzle made by Gold Divers, Inc. It's missing the pump and engine and I'm trying to find the best pump for it. So far no one has been able to identify the dredge. I don't think Gold Divers ever made a backpack dredge but I could be wrong. I checked with Packrat 2 and they don't recognize this dredge. It has a completely flat bottom with no pontoons. Overall dimensions are about 2 feet by 3 feet. I'd sure like to find a picture of it completely set up to see how the pump and engine were mounted on it. Thanks for any info or comments.

Bob

IMG_0791.jpg IMG_0792.jpg IMG_0793.jpg

Upvote 0

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A guy I worked with some last summer had a small portable dredge. One of the new models. It was a 1.5" I think? Anyway it used some little leaf blower sized 2 stroke with a pump on it. It seamed to do alright the day I helped him with it.

SunshineMiner

Jun 2, 2014
Someplace Sunny, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Check out Packratdredges | Now anyone can dredge for gold!

The one on their site says V2.. And this looks very similar to theirs, including their jet, and even the little recess on the deck. Personally, V2 looks like a neat little setup. I bet they could get a 3" to work and not be to bad off on the weight...

Edit - Apparently I dont read.... It said in your main post you already checked with them... Doh :BangHead: :laughing7:

OP
OP
B

Bob_T2

Jan 24, 2013
Reno, Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out Packratdredges | Now anyone can dredge for gold!

The one on their site says V2.. And this looks very similar to theirs, including their jet, and even the little recess on the deck. Personally, V2 looks like a neat little setup. I bet they could get a 3" to work and not be to bad off on the weight...

Edit - Apparently I dont read.... It said in your main post you already checked with them... Doh :BangHead: :laughing7:

Well, Thanks for your reply and you might not be too far off. The similar nozzle design sure seems more than a coincidence. The company owners that told me that they didn't recognize my dredge are new owners and are making the Packrat II dredge. They may not be familiar with the original Packrat dredge design and this could be an original. So far I haven't been able to find a picture of an original Packrat dredge.

OP
OP
B

Bob_T2

Jan 24, 2013
Reno, Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turns out this little dredge was made by Keene back in the 1970's. It originally came with an Ohlsson & Rice two stroke engine with a small 1-1/2" Keene pump. Steve over at detectorprospector.com was able to identify it. I sent an email to Keene to see if they could dig up any info on it from their archives. The Couple Jet nozzle is not original but it is an upgrade over the original nozzle. Looking forward to finding a suitable engine and pump for this dredge and getting it up and running.

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
I am very familiar with Ohlsson & Rice engines. They were 3/4 & 1 HP. There are used ones still around, IFFF , you would want to keep it original. I would go with a better, modern engine, though.

Jen's Ohlsson & Rice Engines

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The jet is indeed a Gold Divers(RIP) though as NO ONE has ever made one akin to that fine little ol'thang. John

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is that red material a thick felt? My old as the hills dinosaur Keene dredge came with that stuff.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first run 2005-pole mounted 2 piece-also had the red felt and I too have a couple of pieces I've used for years to stand on when changing in/out of wetsuits to keep feet clean hahaha. Not for what it's intended but thick enough to protect my aching sore feet. The 2005 was a much better unit with a GREAT bottom pumper(especially when replaced plastic p-90 with metal unit) , you had to box screen in the pump to keep dirt/rocks/grass etc out of it but taken apart was much lighter ezer to packin out and adjustable for conditions-John

OP
OP
B

Bob_T2

Jan 24, 2013
Reno, Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the link. I did a little searching and found out that O&R also made model plane engines. Their total production was estimated to have been 500,000 engines! Too bad they aren't still here. I plan on going with a modern engine and pump. Honda makes a little 4 stroke 25cc pump that might work with the 1-1/2" Couple Jet. I've read that lower pressure pumps work well with Couple Jets. Will be an expensive experiment to find out though. I'm looking for a small and light pump since this will be mostly a backpacked prospecting dredge.

I am very familiar with Ohlsson & Rice engines. They were 3/4 & 1 HP. There are used ones still around, IFFF , you would want to keep it original. I would go with a better, modern engine, though.

Jen's Ohlsson & Rice Engines

OP
OP
B

Bob_T2

Jan 24, 2013
Reno, Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The jet is indeed a Gold Divers(RIP) though as NO ONE has ever made one akin to that fine little ol'thang. John

I'm real happy to have that little nozzle. The Gold Diver's factory wasn't far from here in Mound House. I bought one of their sluices and if I knew then what I know now I would've stocked up on Couple Jet nozzles, regardless of how badly it cut into my beer money. This little nozzle is made from rolled sheet steel. Other, larger, Couple Jets I've seen had cast bodies.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
Just my opinion but I would go up to the wx 15. A little more weight and money but a much more versatile pump.

OP
OP
B

Bob_T2

Jan 24, 2013
Reno, Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank, yes, that is the pump I've been considering, but I'm also thinking about the WX15 that Vance mentioned. The WX10TA is pretty small but I understand that the Couple Jet nozzles work well at lower pressures. I like that it's light but $400 or so is a big investment for something I am not 100% sure has enough capacity. Have you used WX10TA on a small dredge? I sure appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Bob

If you are looking for a great engine and water pump, I would recommend the Honda Self-Priming Water Pump - Model WX10TA Honda Self-Priming Water Pump – 2220 GPH, 1in. Ports, 25cc Honda GX25 4-Stroke Engine, Model# WX10TA | Engine Driven Clear Water Pumps| Northern Tool + Equipment as most will start every time and give you many years of great service, that is, if you take great care of it. There are a few new and used ones on eBay right now, so shop for the best deal.

Frank

OP
OP
B

Bob_T2

Jan 24, 2013
Reno, Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vance, I'm on the fence between the WX10 and WX15. I'm leaning toward the WX10 only because the weight makes a difference after struggling a mile or so up a ravine with it and also the 1-1/2" nozzle allegedly works OK with low capacity pumps. I know the bigger WX15 is more versatile but I'm looking at this pump as being dedicated to the 1-1/2" backpack dredge. Have you tried the WX10 on a small dredge and found it lacking? Thanks for your input.

Bob

Just my opinion but I would go up to the wx 15. A little more weight and money but a much more versatile pump.

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
T2 I doubt any one at Keene will reply to your e mail as they are in the middle of moving back to the old building. It will be a couple of weeks before they return to normal chaos. As WX15 owner I too will say go for the WX15. you can always turn it down as needed. You will be happier in the end

ratled

OP
OP
B

Bob_T2

Jan 24, 2013
Reno, Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ratled, Thanks for your explanation about Keene's move. About your WX15 reccomendation, thanks for making my decision even harder! (Ha) I want to find a Honda engine dealer where I can take a first hand look at both pumps.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Frank, yes, that is the pump I've been considering, but I'm also thinking about the WX15 that Vance mentioned. The WX10TA is pretty small but I understand that the Couple Jet nozzles work well at lower pressures. I like that it's light but $400 or so is a big investment for something I am not 100% sure has enough capacity. Have you used WX10TA on a small dredge? I sure appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Bob

No I haven't used them personally but at 2220 GPH, I would imagine it will more than suffice for your needs! My' friend has a much smaller pump that is run by a Weedeater type engine and it has at times, overwhelmed his' small highbanker. I have an 8 to 10 year old, Honda 3.5 HP Trash Pump that will blow the seams out of my' large Keene Highbanker/Dredge Combo if I run it too much over idle.

Frank

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
Vance, I'm on the fence between the WX10 and WX15. I'm leaning toward the WX10 only because the weight makes a difference after struggling a mile or so up a ravine with it and also the 1-1/2" nozzle allegedly works OK with low capacity pumps. I know the bigger WX15 is more versatile but I'm looking at this pump as being dedicated to the 1-1/2" backpack dredge. Have you tried the WX10 on a small dredge and found it lacking? Thanks for your input.

Bob

So is the suction nozzle 1.5" or 2"? You said the original pump was a 1.5". The wx 15 is also 1.5". What is the width of the sluice? If it's 10" I wouldn't go smaller than the wx15. I know it weighs a bit more but I wouldn't want a wx15 on my 2" Keene dredge even with the couple jet. My wx15 is minimal for my 10" Keene a52 highbanker conversion. I would rather eat a couple pounds. Better yet and lighter than the wx15 get the Keene high pressure version (p90?) on the same Honda engine. Higher pressure and volume and use your throttle to control it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread