Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Interesting...do they have any afterglow?...phosphorescence? I find all kinds of orange in Wyoming. It's the most common color over there.
The color will depend, too, on the wavelength of the light...long or short. LED blacklights are long....regardless of what they say. Nobody has come up with a true SW LED blacklight. What BL are you using? The rare earth elements often act as "activators" when they are present in other minerals.....they cause those minerals to fluoresce when they otherwise wouldn't. But, the color can be different depending on both the mineral and the particular activator.
Jim

Last edited:

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm running a cheapo 18" fluorescent blacklight. So longwave.

I'd be picking single grains out of the black sand. Whatever it is, it is close to hematite by weight, so panning won't separate it. The bucket I'm looking at has already been panned to remove the lights. So it might be some form of garnet.

I do have a stalagmite that my grandfather had that glows green with the above blacklight, and continues to glow for about 5-10 min after.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The only garnets that fluoresce are the Grossular group, that's the group the valuable Tsavorites come from. Most garnets contain iron, which absorbs UV light....they look really dark under UV.
Jim

OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just isolated a big grain. It's transparent like quartz! Checked the blonde sand that was panned out and see nothing there. So it's clear and heavy.

OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possibilities from the color chart that give orange are:

Barite, Barium
Becquerelite, Uranium
Boltwoodite, Uranium
Calomel, Mercury
Cerussite, Lead
Scheelite, Tungsten
Sphalerite, Zinc
Willemite, Zinc
Zircon, Zirconium

The others would have separated out with the light sands.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The activator to get orange in Scheelite is Europium...one of the REE's. It's typical for sphalerite to fluoresce orange, and it's often clear. The activator is manganese for orange. It's probably not Willemite, as it rarely fluoresces orange. Cerussite usually is more to the yellow end of the spectrum, rather than orange. Possibly Barite, but orange is rare in that mineral. Becquerlite is a possible, but I don't think it's ever in a clear form.
If I had to guess, I'd say Scheelite, activated by one of the rare earth elements. Europium, or Samarium. Some decent possibilty of it being Zircon, activated by the REE Dysprosium. I'd bet there are REE's in that sand.
Jim

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some diamonds fluoresce under blacklight from blue to green to orange and maybe even yellow, from what Ive read. It's been a while since I studied up on that.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some diamonds fluoresce under blacklight from blue to green to orange and maybe even yellow, from what Ive read. It's been a while since I studied up on that.
That's right, but I think orange is somewhat rare in diamonds. More often blue, or yellow, with occasional green.
Jim

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's right, but I think orange is somewhat rare in diamonds. More often blue, or yellow, with occasional green.
Jim

Yeah, it's been a while since I have studied on that. I was hard at it for a while untill i finally figured out that my samples were from Texas and not from Washington or Idaho, LOL Took me over a year to figure out where I had collected that black sand. :laughing7:

OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The activator to get orange in Scheelite is Europium...one of the REE's. It's typical for sphalerite to fluoresce orange, and it's often clear. The activator is manganese for orange. It's probably not Willemite, as it rarely fluoresces orange. Cerussite usually is more to the yellow end of the spectrum, rather than orange. Possibly Barite, but orange is rare in that mineral. Becquerlite is a possible, but I don't think it's ever in a clear form.
If I had to guess, I'd say Scheelite, activated by one of the rare earth elements. Europium, or Samarium. Some decent possibilty of it being Zircon, activated by the REE Dysprosium. I'd bet there are REE's in that sand.
Jim

Given there's lots of manganese staining of the Pictured Rocks to the west, tungsten may be present. Wolframite weathers out manganese to form ferberite, a heavy black mineral of iron, tungsten, and oxygen. So if there's scheelite present, there's wolframite and ferberite also present. I have noted that magnetite seems to act light in the pan when panning. All three of these tungsten minerals are running 6+ for SG where magnetite is 5.3.

I think a trip to the geology department is in order!

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I hope you'll keep us all posted....this is definitely a learning experience for me. Manganese is for sure an activator for orange in many minerals.
Jim

OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a pic.

IMG_3009.JPG
IMG_3010.JPG

Hmm...they don't show very well here. Look for orange specks.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I see 'em...cool! Wish they were bigger. You need one of those USB microscopes...LOL
Jim

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool! If you ever get up to Houghton, MI in the UP check out the mineral museum at Michigan Tech. They have some cool fluorescing minerals from the Superior lakes area.

OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you could see it live, you'd see specks about 1/4" apart, so there's quite a bit in that black sand.

I gave Aquila Resources a sample of the wild material and they're going to run it through their lab and give me an assay. They're interested in the black beach sands as part of their heavy minerals program that they're setting up. They're interested in the kimberlite pipes in the UP, and some of the placer that may be found. Though their main focus right now is the "Back 40" mine. The mine will be an open pit/tunnel mine for sulfide gold/lead/copper/zinc. Most of the permits are in place, and mining could begin soon. I did ask about the glacial overburden and if they were going to washplant that material. They may washplant some for gravel for their water treatment plant, but they may be open to allowing amateur miners to run the overburden for gold. We'll see what happens on that front, as they're not digging yet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread