Came across this YouTube vid about gold in sand from Home Depot

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen it before but not sure if it's true. I bought a bag last year and panned a little of it. I didn't see anything but this reminds me now that I have a gold cube I could run the whole bag in 10 minutes..hmmm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I bought a bag of sand after I built my puffer drywasher to give it a test run as it was was rainy out and didn't have access to dry dirt. I got three little flakes out of the whole bag. As far as I understand most of the nations sand comes out of California's Central Valley so it makes perfect sense there's a little gold in it.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
but did the 3 flakes cover the cost of the sand? hmmm, that's the question lol

OP
OP
gldguy1

gldguy1

Apr 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so I just bought a 60lb bag of sand by a company based from Dixon ca called sacrete. I'm gonna play around since it's raining out and hey if I find a flake I will be surprised but good thing my daughter asked for a sandbox lol

OP
OP
gldguy1

gldguy1

Apr 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so I ran the 60lb bag thru my home made set up of a high banker...basically my keen a52 with some randomness attached and am running the dirt thru my blue bowl. It's gonna take a bit but I'm pretty convinced the sand and gravel companies run this sand and extract the minerals we seek but if I do find a flake I will be amazed. Threw in some photos for fun, besides it's raining and cold out so this gives me something to do
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492063863.781718.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492063891.020015.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492063932.758422.jpg

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
Hard to tell if the bagged sand has been worked over or not. My suspicion is that if they are running the material for gold they are not using one of our high tech systems for retaining very fine gold and we are finding the few percent left overs. Look at how many people today are making money out of someone else's discarded tailings.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The 3 flakes did not cover the cost of the sand lol. If my tailings in the yard weren't wet from the rain I would have used them for the drywasher test.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've pulled 5 out of a bag from Menard's sourced from a pit near Eau Claire, WI. Tried some from Lowes sourced in Georgia, and that had a ton of mica and pyrite, and 3-4 flakes.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
any gold in the blue bowl?

OP
OP
gldguy1

gldguy1

Apr 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I just finished running the 60lb bag and I actually found super duper tiny pieces. Good thing my kid wanted a sand box lol ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492138001.921050.jpg

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
winner winner chicken dinner. I like it, it's way better then buying "paydirt" online.

I woukd start selling bags from HD online but shipping might be a problem?

Last edited:
OP
OP
gldguy1

gldguy1

Apr 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm gonna go hit up the public sandbag fill locations this weekend. I know they are fairly local so it will be interesting to see if there is anything in those. Hmmm

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, it's damn good panning practice! The gold is tiny, and if you have pyrite and mica in the mix, it'll teach the difference.

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id say you have allot better shot buying yer sand from a small scale operator that may not have considered checking his product for values. I was working on a roof in Spokane. During a break I was looking at a cinder block wall. The gravel in the blocks caught my attention and there sure is allot of blacksand in the gold bearing looking gravel. Sure enough I was able to spot 5 flakes in the time it took me to smoke a cigarette and the boss to tell me to quit picking at the wall, lol.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I found this pretty interesting especially because I found myself almost buying a bag or 2 of sand a few weeks back to pan since the weather had been so bad

https://youtu.be/x1fx1ClmS8w

I agree with Ragnor......It's not clear where you are located but if you are in gold country you might be better served to back your pickup up to a local sand and gravel plant and get a partial load of screened sand. The load should not cost very much more than a bag of sand, there is usually a use for the sand after you have processed it AND there is a good chance you will find gold in the load.:thumbsup:

Have fun.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gldguy1

gldguy1

Apr 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Ragnor......It's not clear where you are located but if you are in gold country you might be better served to back your pickup up to a local sand and gravel plant and get a partial load of screened sand. The load should not cost very much more than a bag of sand, there is usually a use for the sand after you have processed it AND there is a good chance you will find gold in the load.:thumbsup:

Have fun.

Yeh I have found some local sand and gravel places that I am gonna get some material from probably next week. Since I'm gonna be building my kid a sand box anyways why not prospect the sand first lol. I appreciate everyone's input

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread