Ok anyone have a sluice set up in a backpack hidden away

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
plenty of room in the pack. $60 delivered on ebay
c878a1cc18a014d3d2d677aab5b777f9.jpg
17fca86ca455674aaed902d336fbf6b7.jpg
bbf5de3371a66662b08937ef59d7a69c.jpg
6a4fb3d7a1ddd9ea0ea8dbb70c8234e6.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bodfish Mike;5369225When is Model 8 coming out :laughing7:[/QUOTE said:
Bucket Buddy is Model 8. Model 9 may be another highbanker like the Model 5, but with improvements.

newbAu

Aug 18, 2015
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a backpack, not to hide, but I'd rather not advertise what I am doing. I use a nice large backpack that fits everything I need, it took a while to find the right pack. I can hold a 30" bazooka sniper, an Angus Recon sluice, a garret super sluice, one smaller pan or classifier, my scoop, a shovel and my little hand dredge. All in one pack. I carry a thermos or large zip lock baggy to bring my cons home in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gldguy1

gldguy1

Apr 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mytimetoshine: Yeh there are keyboard warriors on the forums lol I appreciate your info and I like the set up you have. That's similar to what I am looking to do as well

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm lucky to be able to just load everything on my Honda 3-wheeler and travel miles in all directions, and the thing about it is that I've had pretty good experience when encountering "public" employees and allow them to find everything that I'm doing within the law. ....but then again I'll load up my dredge in the trailer and just cruise around thru town just to make people wonder! HA!

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm lucky to be able to just load everything on my Honda 3-wheeler and travel miles in all directions, and the thing about it is that I've had pretty good experience when encountering "public" employees and allow them to find everything that I'm doing within the law. ....but then again I'll load up my dredge in the trailer and just cruise around thru town just to make people wonder! HA!

I'm guessin' people wonder....what the hell is that thing with 3 wheels?:tongue3::icon_scratch::laughing7:

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
.....gotta watch out for those "Big Reds"....they'll put yur eye out. (1984 200es by the way)

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mytimetoshine: Yeh there are keyboard warriors on the forums lol I appreciate your info and I like the set up you have. That's similar to what I am looking to do as well
Dude I'm just trying to help. I get why people are discreet on their way in and out when it's to keep a spot secret. But having to hide to get into a place where your allowed to dig, no way. I send people to open blm land all the time, I make sure they know to fill in holes and not appear "destructive"
ASRA has been back and forth for hands and pans threat off and on for years. Used to be numerous sluices at the confluence on weekends....Hanging out at the confluence is super fun on weekends.........NOT

The fact that there is a place where it legal but, there are hundreds of volunteers waiting behind practically every bush, to harrass you..must be different in different spots in the State Rec. area because it is not the story I hear from numerous people.

I know a guy running a pump right by Ruck a chucky on the El Dorado Side. DFW knows he's there he's been there several season

I have insurance to take people out, I have spent time at the county and blm making sure I'm not telling customers the "wrong" thing

I have never ever had an issue in ASRA or any open areas along the south fork.

It is a sad day when a citizen convinces themselves they have to behave as if they may be busted. For nothing!

More people acting like that is not a good thing. If everyone is doing it then it will appear to be status quo. You already can't get a straight answer from a "volunteer" for a reason. There is nothing wrong with being right as a prospector.

Once your at a spot all your stuff is out your just as likely to get harrased, Factually if there was anything to be caught doing it would be at that point. So, what is the point of hiding what you are carrying and why, if your not doing anything wrong?

I carry my hand tools in my pack....angus strapped to the back or walk in carrying a bigger sluice with my pick on my pack. Walked past hundreds of people over the years waved at many green shirts never had a problem.

Go ahead and get insulted call me a keyboard warrior whatever. I'm just trying to encourage people to not let their tactics work.

The attitude just makes me more glad it isn't something I have to deal with. Sorry it is a hurdle for you guys.

By the above comments and reasons given it is working on some, I would say it's not my problem...but, it could be for customers so, I'll speak up and try to help.
Just a bummer to see guys feeling like they have to hide when they don't need to and when their proud presence would be a much better thing for the community.

OP
OP
gldguy1

gldguy1

Apr 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude I'm just trying to help. I get why people are discreet on their way in and out when it's to keep a spot secret. But having to hide to get into a place where your allowed to dig, no way. I send people to open blm land all the time, I make sure they know to fill in holes and not appear "destructive"
ASRA has been back and forth for hands and pans threat off and on for years. Used to be numerous sluices at the confluence on weekends....Hanging out at the confluence is super fun on weekends.........NOT

The fact that there is a place where it legal but, there are hundreds of volunteers waiting behind practically every bush, to harrass you..must be different in different spots in the State Rec. area because it is not the story I hear from numerous people.

I know a guy running a pump right by Ruck a chucky on the El Dorado Side. DFW knows he's there he's been there several season

I have insurance to take people out, I have spent time at the county and blm making sure I'm not telling customers the "wrong" thing

I have never ever had an issue in ASRA or any open areas along the south fork.

It is a sad day when a citizen convinces themselves they have to behave as if they may be busted. For nothing!

More people acting like that is not a good thing. If everyone is doing it then it will appear to be status quo. You already can't get a straight answer from a "volunteer" for a reason. There is nothing wrong with being right as a prospector.

Once your at a spot all your stuff is out your just as likely to get harrased, Factually if there was anything to be caught doing it would be at that point. So, what is the point of hiding what you are carrying and why, if your not doing anything wrong?

I carry my hand tools in my pack....angus strapped to the back or walk in carrying a bigger sluice with my pick on my pack. Walked past hundreds of people over the years waved at many green shirts never had a problem.

Go ahead and get insulted call me a keyboard warrior whatever. I'm just trying to encourage people to not let their tactics work.

The attitude just makes me more glad it isn't something I have to deal with. Sorry it is a hurdle for you guys.

By the above comments and reasons given it is working on some, I would say it's not my problem...but, it could be for customers so, I'll speak up and try to help.
Just a bummer to see guys feeling like they have to hide when they don't need to and when their proud presence would be a much better thing for the community.

I wasn't calling you a keyboard warrior more just saying that in general. I appreciate your help and honest opinions. Last summer 3 times I got harrased by some volunteer rangers in the confluence area because they saw my sluice box. I usually go to the bear but I want to check out different areas so wanted to keep my stuff packed away until I get there

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Being secretive about your favorite dig spot is one thing but hiding the fact that you are participating is a legal activity is counter productive.
I support the right to open carry my pistol and I do so...openly. Sometime I come across someone who is shocked or uncomfortable. This is because in the liberal town I live in, the legal activity is not often seen. When I lived in Montana everyone open carried...people were use to it and didnt care.

If miners go into hiding, sneaking wherever they go then their actions will be perceived as unlawful. When people question you, use the opportunity to teach them.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't calling you a keyboard warrior more just saying that in general. I appreciate your help and honest opinions. Last summer 3 times I got harrased by some volunteer rangers in the confluence area because they saw my sluice box. I usually go to the bear but I want to check out different areas so wanted to keep my stuff packed away until I get there

It's all good . I know that there are some field agents who try to tell people the rules, without knowing the law.

The best thing for us all is to know the law and have the courage and confidence to remind either unknowing or agenda based agents that we know what we're doing.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being secretive about your favorite dig spot is one thing but hiding the fact that you are participating is a legal activity is counter productive.
I support the right to open carry my pistol and I do so...openly. Sometime I come across someone who is shocked or uncomfortable. This is because in the liberal town I live in, the legal activity is not often seen. When I lived in Montana everyone open carried...people were use to it and didnt care.

If miners go into hiding, sneaking wherever they go then their actions will be perceived as unlawful. When people question you, use the opportunity to teach them.

exactly

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When I first started prospecting I used my large kelty internal frame pack. it's large enough to put a five gallon bucket inside, plus all my other gear, with exception to the sluice, which I would strap to outside. I'm sure you could find one large enough to fit all of your gear inside. Especially if your using a smaller sluice. I use a external freighter frame pack now. Much easier to get everything on it, and it makes everything more accessable. The rangers in my area are very friendly to prospectors, or at least every one I've meet. And I don't prospect in areas​ that are off limits, so I don't worry about being hassled. My son and I went out Tuesday and ran into 4 rangers walking down the canyon as we were heading up. They saw the gear on my pack , and we're very friendly about us going prospecting. We chatted for a few minutes, I told them we were prospecting for the 2 g's - gold and garbage. They told us good luck hope you find more gold then garbage, have fun and went on their way.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bruce, you rock!

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a hunting pack frame which has a platform which folds down. Perfect for a 5 gallon bucket which can hold lots of things (even a folding sluice).
Wrap it in a camo rain tarp and you will look like a bum i.e. blend in.

I usually wear clothing that blends into the environment. I prefer to allow people to drive/walk by while I remain unnoticed.
Not to be sneaky, but I like to be able to disappear into the woods if I want to.

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bruce, you rock!

Thanks I appreciate that. As anyone who knows me will tell you, I love to chat with people. Regardless if their young, old, religious, atheists, rich, poor, or skin color. I just like talking to people. My business partner will tell you I like it too much. My son is always asking me "do you know them?" To which I'll reply "I do now" If you approach someone with a positive attitude and a smile it goes along way.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
If you get the house in the divorce, you can stet the other side up for fine gold recovery. Parking your car/truck inside is overrated.

I did...I did!! I mean I got the house in the divorce but the other side of the garage is full of tools and my oldest daughter's stuff.:BangHead: Besides where would I put anything else? I have a home made Trommel and Gold Cube with a Drywasher attachment (courtesy of Good Guy), two Trash Pumps (one Honda and the other a Briggs & Stratton), a smaller Water Pump, a Generator, a Highbanker/Dredge Combo with Keene A-52 Sluice, another new Keene A-52 Sluice for the Trommel, a large wood table for the Miller Table to be set up on (and yes the Miller Table and two more slates to make two more Miller Tables), about six Classifiers, 5 Gold Pans, a four tier Sifter with legs, 4 or 5 shovels, several small Mattocks, several assorted sized Sledge Hammers, several assorted sized Chisels, a Back-Packing Duffel Bag to haul Gold Pans...Classifiers...Shovels & other assorted gear on hike in prospecting trips and a Cart Wagon in which to haul a fraction of my' equipment.:icon_scratch::-\

Frank

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread