Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: Ok anyone have a sluice set up in a backpack hidden away

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Apr 2016
    272 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Ok anyone have a sluice set up in a backpack hidden away

So I'm thinking about trying to hide my sluice 3 gallon buckets and pans in a back back to look like a regular hiker not like I'm about to go prospect. Anyone else have a similar set up by chance

Dec 2015
    395 times
    I always buy a backpack deep enough to hold my sluice and pan without it poking out the top. No need to make anyone curious. Besides I like to be quiet in the woods and I don't like getting hung on branches. So a backpack that fits over the sluice is a must for brush and steep terrain. Now Ive neglected the bucket. I did find a backpack that fits a 5 gallon square detergent bucket. It will hold a pan and sifting screens, but not a sluice. It also has a sewed on patch that says "Mt Everest First to the summit 1956" I think that is really cool, lol

I did find a 5 gallon bucket that is very tall an narrow. Not sure what was in it I saw it on the side of the road and turned around for it. I dont know that I ever actually stuck it in a backpack.....?

They do have those 5 gallon canvas army buckets. Ive always been tempted to buy one , but have never gotten around to it.

You can always pack dirt in a second gold pan..... or even a canvas sack for that matter.

So that's my thoughts on that, lol

FYI: in washington where I live you are limited to 3 square feet of riffle area on yer sluice so a 36" X 12" sluice is plenty of area to run material pretty hard and it fits in a standard "36 pack just fine.
    Last edited by Ragnor; Apr 14, 2017 at 12:24 AM.
    Bejay likes this.

us
    Aug 2004
    Olympia WA
    Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
    1230 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by gldguy1 View Post
    So I'm thinking about trying to hide my sluice 3 gallon buckets and pans in a back back to look like a regular hiker not like I'm about to go prospect. Anyone else have a similar set up by chance
    Why do you have to hide it?

May 2013
    The Golden State
    Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goldhound. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
    4539 times
    Prospecting
    Why advertise?
    russau, newbAu and KevinInColorado like this.
    I am a teacher, hydrologist, biologist and a prospector.

us
    Apr 2015
    Oshkosh, WI
    776 times
    Might want to look into building a powered fluid bed like my Bucket Buddy or Model 7. You'll have to pre-classify, but they're able to fit in a pack easily. Both will run on a 500 GPH bilge pump with ~1.5 A draw.

Bucket Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2963.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	207.2 KB 
ID:	1439250

Model 7
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2909.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	145.5 KB 
ID:	1439251

us
    Mar 2003
    Redding,Calif.
    6193 times
    HEAR NO EVIL-SEE NO EVIL-SPEAK NO EVIL- nice and clean,quiet and your biz is nobody elses biz what you do. John

us
    Sep 2013
    Motherlode, CA
    Gold Bug Pro
    785 times
    If I am packing in to an area, I have a military duffle bag with shoulder straps. Easily carries 2 x 5-gal buckets, bucket classifier, pan, diging tools, gloves, and a plastic drop riffle sluice box that I ensure is positioned against my back for support. The weight of everything might be 30+ lbs.

us
    Mike

Dec 2014
    Bodfish and Marin county CA
    Garrett , Whites keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
    521 times
    Drywashing , Sluicing , Panning
    I'll second the military duffle bag. Carries Sluice , 5 gallon bucket ,pan and more. I ride my Honda xl200r motorcycle with this on
    my back.
    gldguy1 and Aufisher like this.
    Stay thirsty my friends

us
    Mike

Dec 2014
    Bodfish and Marin county CA
    Garrett , Whites keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
    521 times
    Drywashing , Sluicing , Panning
    [QUOTE=Capt Nemo;5369048]Might want to look into building a powered fluid bed like my Bucket Buddy or Model 7. You'll have to pre-classify, but they're able to fit in a pack easily. Both will run on a 500 GPH bilge pump with ~1.5 A draw.

When is Model 8 coming out
    gldguy1 likes this.
    Stay thirsty my friends

Apr 2016
    272 times
    I appreciate everyone's input. To answer questions I like to not advertise what I'm doing because here in komifornia people who are uniformed like to call rangers sherrifs dept etc and even though prospecting isn't illegal I would rather just keep under the radar and save some hassle. And I would love to use the bucket buddy but anything motorized is illegal here in ca. My goal this year is to hike around off the main trail and away from most people in the populated areas of the rivers so keeping everything inside a backpack would be ideal.
    mytimetoshine and Jeff95531 like this.

us
    Mad Marshall

Nov 2012
    na
    1412 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by gldguy1 View Post
    I appreciate everyone's input. To answer questions I like to not advertise what I'm doing because here in komifornia people who are uniformed like to call rangers sherrifs dept etc and even though prospecting isn't illegal I would rather just keep under the radar and save some hassle. And I would love to use the bucket buddy but anything motorized is illegal here in ca. My goal this year is to hike around off the main trail and away from most people in the populated areas of the rivers so keeping everything inside a backpack would be ideal.
    well you certainly made your point. I would encourage you to INFORM yourself..

Apr 2016
    272 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMarshall View Post
    well you certainly made your point. I would encourage you to INFORM yourself..
    I'm a little puzzled by what you mean by inform myself. My intention is not to break laws if that's what the implication is but I have been hassled more times by volunteer rangers who think there is a ban on recreational panning. I had the sherrifs dept called once because someone saw me moving dirt in a river so unless laws have changed since I looked last here in ca how much more informing do I need. Feel free to let me know if you have info I don't and I'm not being rude in my comment here
    mytimetoshine likes this.

Aug 2015
    540 times
    While I'm also in Ca., Motorized is not illegal. Dredging is not illegal with the proper permits. Yes, certain waterways (Wild and Scenic) are removed from motorized prospecting but not all waterways are. I do understand the need for not drawing attention though.
    If you plan to prospect in a SRA like Auburn, then be informed of the State rules and carry a copy of them. Then you can inform the "uninformed" volunteers.
    QNCrazy and mytimetoshine like this.

us
    Sep 2013
    Motherlode, CA
    Gold Bug Pro
    785 times
    If it is apparent that somone is misinformed, we who know what is legal and not, should point the misinformed in the right direction; provide them with Code references and ask them to PM us if they have questions. This year, I am already seeing several newcomers to mining during our club outings. These newcomers add to our numbers as miners so it's important that we, the experienced, ensure they are properly informed so they don't get frustrated and give up. I for one was greatful to all those who pointed me in the right direction even recently.
    gldguy1 and KevinInColorado like this.

Apr 2016
    272 times
    Mikep691 and qncrazy thanks for your input. I herd all forms of motorized are banned well you will need a permit but for say high banking there not issuing permits and of course the dredge ban. I live in auburn and do have the copy of the rules for sra in my bag I carry with me. I am very new compared to most of you veterans. I got into this after my dad passed away as I took his pans 2 years ago to show my kids what my dad tried to teach me when I was young but had no interest then. I never want to intentionally sound like I know or don't know so I do appreciate everyone's advice. This and my local prospecting store have been where I learn the most. I don't wanna advertise I'm out prospecting no more than you all want to tell the next guy what hole you found your gold in. Again thanks everyone for all your input and advise
    mytimetoshine, et1955 and Goodyguy like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links