Ok anyone have a sluice set up in a backpack hidden away

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always buy a backpack deep enough to hold my sluice and pan without it poking out the top. No need to make anyone curious. Besides I like to be quiet in the woods and I don't like getting hung on branches. So a backpack that fits over the sluice is a must for brush and steep terrain. Now Ive neglected the bucket. I did find a backpack that fits a 5 gallon square detergent bucket. It will hold a pan and sifting screens, but not a sluice. It also has a sewed on patch that says "Mt Everest First to the summit 1956" I think that is really cool, lol

I did find a 5 gallon bucket that is very tall an narrow. Not sure what was in it I saw it on the side of the road and turned around for it. I dont know that I ever actually stuck it in a backpack.....?

They do have those 5 gallon canvas army buckets. Ive always been tempted to buy one , but have never gotten around to it.

You can always pack dirt in a second gold pan..... or even a canvas sack for that matter.

So that's my thoughts on that, lol

FYI: in washington where I live you are limited to 3 square feet of riffle area on yer sluice so a 36" X 12" sluice is plenty of area to run material pretty hard and it fits in a standard "36 pack just fine.

Last edited:

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I'm thinking about trying to hide my sluice 3 gallon buckets and pans in a back back to look like a regular hiker not like I'm about to go prospect. Anyone else have a similar set up by chance

Why do you have to hide it?

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Why advertise?

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might want to look into building a powered fluid bed like my Bucket Buddy or Model 7. You'll have to pre-classify, but they're able to fit in a pack easily. Both will run on a 500 GPH bilge pump with ~1.5 A draw.

Bucket Buddy
IMG_2963.JPG

Model 7
IMG_2909.JPG

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HEAR NO EVIL-SEE NO EVIL-SPEAK NO EVIL- nice and clean,quiet and your biz is nobody elses biz what you do. John

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
If I am packing in to an area, I have a military duffle bag with shoulder straps. Easily carries 2 x 5-gal buckets, bucket classifier, pan, diging tools, gloves, and a plastic drop riffle sluice box that I ensure is positioned against my back for support. The weight of everything might be 30+ lbs.

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll second the military duffle bag. Carries Sluice , 5 gallon bucket ,pan and more. I ride my Honda xl200r motorcycle with this on
my back.

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
Might want to look into building a powered fluid bed like my Bucket Buddy or Model 7. You'll have to pre-classify, but they're able to fit in a pack easily. Both will run on a 500 GPH bilge pump with ~1.5 A draw.

When is Model 8 coming out :laughing7:

OP
OP
gldguy1

gldguy1

Apr 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate everyone's input. To answer questions I like to not advertise what I'm doing because here in komifornia people who are uniformed like to call rangers sherrifs dept etc and even though prospecting isn't illegal I would rather just keep under the radar and save some hassle. And I would love to use the bucket buddy but anything motorized is illegal here in ca. My goal this year is to hike around off the main trail and away from most people in the populated areas of the rivers so keeping everything inside a backpack would be ideal.

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I appreciate everyone's input. To answer questions I like to not advertise what I'm doing because here in komifornia people who are uniformed like to call rangers sherrifs dept etc and even though prospecting isn't illegal I would rather just keep under the radar and save some hassle. And I would love to use the bucket buddy but anything motorized is illegal here in ca. My goal this year is to hike around off the main trail and away from most people in the populated areas of the rivers so keeping everything inside a backpack would be ideal.

well you certainly made your point. I would encourage you to INFORM yourself..

OP
OP
gldguy1

gldguy1

Apr 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well you certainly made your point. I would encourage you to INFORM yourself..

I'm a little puzzled by what you mean by inform myself. My intention is not to break laws if that's what the implication is but I have been hassled more times by volunteer rangers who think there is a ban on recreational panning. I had the sherrifs dept called once because someone saw me moving dirt in a river so unless laws have changed since I looked last here in ca how much more informing do I need. Feel free to let me know if you have info I don't and I'm not being rude in my comment here

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I'm also in Ca., Motorized is not illegal. Dredging is not illegal with the proper permits. Yes, certain waterways (Wild and Scenic) are removed from motorized prospecting but not all waterways are. I do understand the need for not drawing attention though.
If you plan to prospect in a SRA like Auburn, then be informed of the State rules and carry a copy of them. Then you can inform the "uninformed" volunteers.

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
If it is apparent that somone is misinformed, we who know what is legal and not, should point the misinformed in the right direction; provide them with Code references and ask them to PM us if they have questions. This year, I am already seeing several newcomers to mining during our club outings. These newcomers add to our numbers as miners so it's important that we, the experienced, ensure they are properly informed so they don't get frustrated and give up. I for one was greatful to all those who pointed me in the right direction even recently.

OP
OP
gldguy1

gldguy1

Apr 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mikep691 and qncrazy thanks for your input. I herd all forms of motorized are banned well you will need a permit but for say high banking there not issuing permits and of course the dredge ban. I live in auburn and do have the copy of the rules for sra in my bag I carry with me. I am very new compared to most of you veterans. I got into this after my dad passed away as I took his pans 2 years ago to show my kids what my dad tried to teach me when I was young but had no interest then. I never want to intentionally sound like I know or don't know so I do appreciate everyone's advice. This and my local prospecting store have been where I learn the most. I don't wanna advertise I'm out prospecting no more than you all want to tell the next guy what hole you found your gold in. Again thanks everyone for all your input and advise

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cause nothing screams look at me like carrying a DUFFLE BAG into the woods!!!! :dontknow:

There is no such thing as a "Volunteer Ranger".....you can't get a ticket from a "volunteer"

The Sheriff isn't in charge or shovels,dirt, or sluice boxes. In fact the S.O is one of the miners biggest allies in the field.

The more of us showing that there is nothing wrong or illegal with what we are doing, the better. Sneaking around in the woods outside of hunting season just won't do well for us.

If your on your own claim by all means pay attention, stash your stuff well so it won't get stolen and know how to become one with the terrain quickly if you need to
But for goodness sake don't treat yourself like a criminal when you are not.

If your going out to prospect where you may run across the public often (YUCKY) don't do things that make prospectors look sneaky. Let other open area snipers see you being sneaky and your just going to think the thing your hiding is a good spot!! They will then start paying even more attention.

Last edited:

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
cause nothing screams look at me like carrying a DUFFLE BAG into the woods!!!! :dontknow:

There is no such thing as a "Volunteer Ranger".....you can't get a ticket from a "volunteer"

The Sheriff isn't in charge or shovels,dirt, or sluice boxes. In fact the S.O is one of the miners biggest allies in the field.

The more of us showing that there is nothing wrong or illegal with what we are doing, the better. Sneaking around in the woods outside of hunting season just won't do well for us.

If your on your own claim by all means pay attention, stash your stuff well so it won't get stolen and know how to become one with the terrain quickly if you need to

If your going out to prospect where you may run across the public often (YUCKY) don't do things that make prospectors look sneaky. Let other open area snipers see you being sneaky and your just going to think the thing your hiding is a good spot!! They will then start paying even more attention.

??...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170414-191224.png
    Screenshot_20170414-191224.png
    165.8 KB · Views: 126

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha ha just the cutest thing

Trash picker uppers and bag changers and fire permit writers do not enforce law. They can radio in for an LEO...

They can also tell you all kinds of stuff that isn't true..

The NPS calls anyone in a uniform a "Ranger"

It makes retiree's and seasonal park staff feel super cool. They aren't really rangers.

I've worked at several National parks. There are only a few ticket books handed out per location. Not to the same guy who gets trash cans and a hose to clean out the pit toilet shelters.

The F.S also has a seasonal brigade of volunteers and low paid locals that cruise around looking for dispersed campers without fire permits. They have no enforcement powers. Just Radios and cool green shirts they have to give back in October.

If they are rangers the dude in front of U.S.Bank is a cop.......cool screenshot though

OP
OP
gldguy1

gldguy1

Apr 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I always try to portray prospectors in general as good stewards of the land i.e. Fill in holes etc, there is. Thing "sneaky" about what I do accept not wanting all my gear out in the open. It also makes things easier to carry while hiking. In the auburn sra they have tons of volunteers who hassle prospectors because they are mis informed. Though I haven't had any issues it is still a pain in the ass when a ranger asks for your id or a sherrif officer so yeh I don't wanna advertise what I'm doing until I actually do it but that is just me.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your first mistake was posting into the general forum. You cannot make a simple post here without all the talking heads, getting into a bickering match. I understood your question and I think you are more or less on the right track with your thinking. I got a cool mini sluice last year that will easily fit in a normal size ruck sack, with room for more extras. I like to strap/tie down my pans on the back. pry bar, small shovels etc go in the pack. yea the sluice isn't gonna be perfect but it works and if your goal is mobile and discreet it a good setup. oh and then there are the canvas or collapsible buckets 😉

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread