Waders

Bandmenter

Oct 28, 2016
Northern Iowa
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was at Cabela's this weekend looking for some over boot waders. When I asked about them they looked oddly at me and said they have never heard of such a thing. A while back I know it was discussed on TNET but I cannot locate the thread as to what brand they were. Can someone assist me with the brand that would be most recommended for this application. Thanks in advance.

Bill

Upvote 0

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never heard of such a thing. I'll be interested to see it. I don't see how it would be practical.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Boot waders...you mean like with attached boots? Get em at Big 5 Sports or Walmart :)

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Looking at the Cabelas sight, they have hip boots and waders. Both come in stocking foot or with boots (Felt and Lug sole). If you go with boot foot, get the lug sole. Lots of options in varying price ranges. I agree with Kevin, depending on what you want to spend, Walmart or Big 5 might be the best option.

Just and afterthought, you said over the boot! My cabelas lightweight stocking foot waders have gravel guards built in. the gravel guards pull over the top of the boot and secure to the laces. Is this what you meant?

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over boot waders as in fitting over your boots.... I cant believe you guys never heard of them :tongue3:

I think Neos are the best $111 from jet, plus you get 10% off and free shipping.
Beats taking your shoes on and off when changing.
CLICK HERE for NEOS Over shoe waders

over boot wadres.jpg

Last edited:

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'll be darned. If I put them on over my size 13 clod hoppers Id be tripp'n over my self for sure. I did have galoshes that fit over my boots when I was a kid though, about as high as my boots.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's a new one on me. But boots in boots sounds like too much for me. I'll just change my shoes lol

OP
OP
Bandmenter

Bandmenter

Oct 28, 2016
Northern Iowa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Bandmenter

Bandmenter

Oct 28, 2016
Northern Iowa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be darned. If I put them on over my size 13 clod hoppers Id be tripp'n over my self for sure. I did have galoshes that fit over my boots when I was a kid though, about as high as my boots.[/QUOTE
Wildminer, I would think it might make you a weeble. You could handle any current.:laughing7:

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had never heard of them either and Ive been playing in the water all my life. Ive used hip waders, canvas waders and neoprene. My current preferred setup is my neoprene waders under my farmer john wet suit top. Kind of makes a semi dry suit. But here in western washington I'm pretty much working in snow melt almost year round.

I suppose having a setup like that gets rid of the having to pack your boots around in your backpack when you have the waders on. I dunno though, Yah could just wear hip waders.

agolddigger

Oct 28, 2016
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When it comes to waders I'd say go for a pair with a warranty or cheap enough that you don't mind replacing but not in-between. Leaks are inevitable.

I'm partial my L.L. Bean waders that I can return any time I need to :)

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
Some guys up here use them when hunting (sheep or goats where going light) to cross glacial creeks but they pull them back off when they get across. Light weight materials so they don't hold up well. Not meant for work.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When it comes to waders I'd say go for a pair with a warranty or cheap enough that you don't mind replacing but not in-between. Leaks are inevitable.

I'm partial my L.L. Bean waders that I can return any time I need to :)

This is a good point. Prospecting is rough on waders over time. Leaks happen. For this reason, I wear river shoes and get wet on purpose (!) all summer. That also keeps a hard working prospector cool :)

Last edited:

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got a new set of Proline hip waders from Dick's Sporting Goods online. I like the felt soles since I'm in water and on slippery rocks. Men's sizes 7-13. $54.99 +tax. And with a flash sale, they were under $50 with shipping.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen too many folks trip, stumble or fall and they fill with water asap. I MUCH prefer my fantastic HODGMAN chest waders with felt bottomed boots as keeps you dry and you have the best grip available. Not that much more but can work water over your waist and still dry and warm as insulated some also-John

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
Be sure and check regs on felt soles in your state/area. Here in Alaska hey made them illegal for fisherman about 3 yrs ago and ALL users about 2 yrs ago. I know many states have done the same. Lots of folks here didn't know and we're buying waders they couldn't wear at garage sales.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen too many folks trip, stumble or fall and they fill with water asap. I MUCH prefer my fantastic HODGMAN chest waders with felt bottomed boots as keeps you dry and you have the best grip available. Not that much more but can work water over your waist and still dry and warm as insulated some also-John

I nearly died in montana that way when trout fishing. All because some moron on a float hooked me on his back cast, surprising me and causing me to jump and get swept under. never even stopped to see if i was ok or to get his fly out of my shoulder....

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wildminer, I would think it might make you a weeble. You could handle any current.:laughing7: I don't know what a weeble is, but more than likely I am one. :dontknow: :laughing7:

HMiller

Aug 6, 2015
Darrington, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Bazooka Sniper 30", Gold Cube 4 Stack, Gold Cube Trommel, Gold Screw Trommel, Jaw crushers, Impact Mill, Shaker Table, Spiral Wheels, Blue Bowl, Sluices, Picks, Pry Bars, Shovels,
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not own a pair of overshoe waders or have ever tried them. But I want some:icon_thumleft:

Taking my shoes off to put waders on and then putting my shoes back on when the waders come off is a pain. Plus the waders never fit my feet as well as my shoes do.

Likely those who are running down the over your shoe waders have never tried them.

I'm with Hoser John though it's hard to beat those Hodgman chest waders from Wal-Mart for $49.95

Just use a repair kit when they spring a leak $5.95 at wal-mart....
447df241-8abb-4541-b1ba-dcdf20b8d5f7_1.5fd253a92b04982bfd6c8b4fb0d771b3.jpeg

GG~

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread