Finally... a "decent" 1.5" water pump at a reasonable price.

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind that our "pump room" has roughly 20 different water pumps in it of ALL makes, qualities, and sizes.
For years we have searched for a "cheap" 1.5" water pump that was....

1- Reasonably priced. (Less than $300)
2- Smaller in size.
3- Had a gph rating over 4000 gph.

The pump has a few draw backs, but we will be continually testing and updating THIS PAGE with any results good or bad. We also are posting intake screens we suggest there as well, as the pump says it's a "clear water" pump. But we put it through the paces. So far... so good.

Here's a pic next to our Mini Piglet highbanker.

Doc

1afff5.jpg

Upvote 0

Golden_Crab

Mar 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind that our "pump room" has roughly 20 different water pumps in it of ALL makes, qualities, and sizes.
For years we have searched for a "cheap" 1.5" water pump that was....

1- Reasonably priced. (Less than $300)
2- Smaller in size.
3- Had a gph rating over 4000 gph.

The pump has a few draw backs, but we will be continually testing and updating THIS PAGE with any results good or bad. We also are posting intake screens we suggest there as well, as the pump says it's a "clear water" pump. But we put it through the paces. So far... so good.

Here's a pic next to our Mini Piglet highbanker.

Doc

View attachment 1441316

Perhaps starting a small engine manufacturing shop to compete with honda pumps would be worth exploring... I like honda and I dont mind the price for the quality. I want to buy American made personally however honda seems to have the market cornered on the "buy good **** once" approach.

OP
OP
G

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps starting a small engine manufacturing shop to compete with honda pumps would be worth exploring... I like honda and I dont mind the price for the quality. I want to buy American made personally however honda seems to have the market cornered on the "buy good **** once" approach.

We like our Hondas and our Briggs... but needed this type of pump for customers.
For about $250 (including shipping) it comes with hoses as well.
The other 1.5" pumps sold on EBAY that have about 3000 gph are REALLY poor quality compared this.
However, compared to the Honda wx15, which we also have, this one a bit lower in quality.
Again... trying to hit ALL THREE of the requirements in the past has been impossible.

Bob_T2

Jan 24, 2013
Reno, Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Amazon user reviews for this pump on the link on your website don't seem to agree that this is a good pump. Over the course of a prospecting season the additional cost of a Honda pump is going to be long forgotten.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm familiar with Honda( runs like a clock) and Briggs(don't bother to change the oil), but have never even heard a Generac engine run.

Generacs can't be all bad-

"Not CARB compliant. Not for sale in CA."

If its too good for Cali, that's good enough for me.

pcampbell

Feb 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Generac is good company and American made, I have a few friends who work at their factory. They are located about 40 minutes outside of Milwaukee.

Last edited:

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Wisconsin engines use to be the staple to power farm equipment before the PTO gained popularity. Where I live you can count on the power going out at least 5 times a year. My Generac always starts.

OP
OP
G

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Amazon user reviews for this pump on the link on your website don't seem to agree that this is a good pump. Over the course of a prospecting season the additional cost of a Honda pump is going to be long forgotten.

I can only post what I know first hand and we have only done 2 runs with it. But... in comparison to the old $160 EBAY pumps (picture below), which we have two of and have tested, there is a WORLD of difference quality wise and a one year warranty. There are a lot of prospectors that only make it out a few times a year to run and don't want to spend $500 on the Honda WX15, of which we own two. We own five of the Champion 2" pumps which are 2" and cost $250 and are decent pumps "for the money". Many of our customers were looking for a comparable pump, but smaller and in a 1.5" size AND... over 4000 gph. You are correct that the Honda's are a better pump, hence the price. But still many were seeking an alternative.

15chinapump.jpg

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a Honda WH15 (5880 gal/hr.) and am really happy with it. I expect it will last the rest of my life if I only use it occasionally. It cost $650

I also have a Pacific Hydrostar (harbor freight) that has sat out in the weather for the last 5 years and every summer it fires up and serves it's purpose.
I think it cost $199. It is the second one...first one suddenly had water in the oil after a summer of use. Free exchange.

It would be nice to have something that is truly in the middle quality and price wise.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, we have a Generac plant just south of town by the tech school aviation center. I think they make the generators there.

The Kohler generator plant is just south of Whistling Straights Golf Course north of Sheboygan. I go past it when I go to my Lake Michigan beach mining spot.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I used to have a 2.5 KW Generac generator and it was a good machine and started easily all the time ! BUT I sold it and got a bigger generator and now wish I kept it!

OP
OP
G

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep... so far I'm pretty impressed. (FOR THE PRICE)
There ARE... some draw backs which I write about on that page BUT...
I think many people will miss the point about this post.
It has been SIX... LONG... years trying to find a pump that hits ALL three of those points.

1- Reasonably priced. (Less than $300) It's about $250 with shipping and hoses.
2- Smaller in size. Has a handle and can be carried with one hand by "most". It's a few pounds heavier than the WX.
3- Had a gph rating over 4000 gph. It's rated about 4800 gph and will run both our mini and Raptor Flare.

Doc

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm familiar with Honda( runs like a clock) and Briggs(don't bother to change the oil), but have never even heard a Generac engine run.

Generacs can't be all bad-

"Not CARB compliant. Not for sale in CA."

If its too good for Cali, that's good enough for me.

First LOL of the day. Thanks Duckshot! :laughing7:

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread