Skirting the law, just a 'for fun' question....

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if you were in an area that forbids any form of wheeled vehicle. How well do you think it would fly to have a tracked vehicle? Do you think they would try and count the gear wheels as wheels? What if you used sprockets?

realistically I accept that I am probably relegated to skids at best. Since even a hot air balloon probably qualifies as an aircraft.

I may just literally end up with a string of donkey's by the end of it.....

Upvote 0

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
mule%20(2).jpg .....mini-mule...for that mini-dredge

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A mule eats half as much as a horse and tastes better if you had to eat it. That's why the old timers used them.
They are the best of a horse and a donkey in one package and can carry over 200 pounds all day long.
They have great memories for trail obstacles, are more sure footed, and she's not stubborn, she's just more advanced than your training methods. Their intelligence and stamina by far exceeds a horse.

America has never lost a war in which mules were used.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I defer to "Ragnor" about Llama's, for I really know little about Llamas or Mules. A friend said I could have substituted the word "Wife" for "Llama". ........But Llamas are quiet.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Llamas also like to spit in your face, but then again they also provide wool if the better half is into spinning and knitting.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Around here mules are often called Long Ears. Less skidish that a horse I'm told.
I remember in SD donkeys ran free in the black Hills. Scrounges by nature, they befriend people. MY understanding the rule is that donkeys are considered beasts of burden and if needed just take one with you and release when done with whatever the donkey served.
I've seen donkeys in Oatman NV. too.
An animal is better company also. Good listeners.

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Riding a mule is like driving a Cadillac. Very easy to ride and much more comfortable than most horses on the trail. You need to stay alert on certain mules as they may keep going straight at the turn in the trail. :laughing7: Kinda' like they get "spaced out". You are also less likely to have a rodeo on a mule than a horse imo.

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
I understand llamas to be fairly load and range limited. Max weight is only 75 lbs and a show I watched about people in the Andes said they have two sets because they only pack half a day on one string and then shift the load to the fresh animals. They also said that while 75 was max they prefer 50 lb loads as not to stress the animals.

I had Llamas to pack with for hunting when I lived in Montana. We figured 25% of their body weight for the average animal going all day long in rough country. A stocky animal would comfortably do 1/3 their body weight (this of course is for animals that are in good condition & have been "working out").
Our biggest guy weighed right at 400# & would carry 100# up mountains all day long with an occasional breather (usually for me!). For short distances in rough country (2-3 miles) he would go 125# without complaint & all day in faily level country.
They eat about 1/4 - 1/3 of what a horse eats at home & in the mountains mine would eat pine needles & bear grass. Don't spook easy & easy to handle if they do. Only spit at you if they feel "challenged". I miss them...

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
My biggest problem with horses is they can have attitude. One I was on kept trying to catch my leg on things like fence posts. We didn't get along.
I knew a guy that got through the Korean War safe only to come home to have a horse bite the tip of his nose of. The Doc had to cut his ear lobe off to make a new nose.
There are quite a few mules here in town. Pleasant animals.
Someone told me lama's were related to camels.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just remember, you can put a dozer blade on a tank.

Can't do that with a llama, mule, or horse.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They have a thing called a fresno scraper that is drawn behind a mule that is basically a small bulldozer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread