Question?

Digzit2

Jan 2, 2016
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics t2 se,Deteknix X pointer angus mackirk explorer,keene a51a.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would not jump in and get a high banker. How is your panning? Where do you plan to go looking for gold? Illinois is not known for its gold so are you planning to look there or other spots. I am in Colorado, but I would not direct new prospectors to a high banker right off. I would suggest learning to use a pan and how to do research to see where you have a reasonable chance of finding gold.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were looking for so I will close and let others contribute.

Best of luck and welcome to Treasure Net. There is a lot of useful information here along with many helpful folks.

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That is a recirculating highbanker uses a bilge pump. I have one and it has its place but not a high production machine. Build quality is great.

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am also in Illinois and would not recommend a highbanker setup unless you have done some serious research on streams in the area you plan on mining. I've been test panning area streams around me for the last two years and am just now confident that I have several areas good enough for some serious sluicing. These area streams have clay bottoms and are producing some good gold for Illinois. If the sluice produces well enough, maybe next year I will look into purchasing a highbanker/dredge combo. Just remember that it might take a few years to pay for your equipment mining Illinois creeks. I don't mind the small amount of gold because my wife and I love to get out and see a couple specks in the pan and spend a quiet day on the creek.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just to offer up an alternate choice....Gold Hog Multi Sluice. It seems there is not much difference in prices and the GHMS is very highly rated from all of the reviews I have seen. In my mind, the downside for both choices is that they require feeding with 1/4" minus material (read, I hate classifying!). That said, I think the main advantage of the GHMS when used as a high banker in the field is that you will end up with much less concentrate to deal with later.....better concentration and probable better gold capture rate. When you are home, change the mat and run the concentrates again and the result is almost 100% clean gold according to all reviews.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Digzit2

Digzit2

Jan 2, 2016
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics t2 se,Deteknix X pointer angus mackirk explorer,keene a51a.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the info. I will be going with the gold hog.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread