Moving to CA in about 30 days, trying to narrow down a specific city.

crumbaker

Feb 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sell computers for a living on ebay and craigslist. I'm ok if craigslist isn't as good of an option anymore. My gf and I broke up in January, and I probably don't have any kids, so I have nothing holding me back. I've saved up some money for this and want to be in the best reasonably sized city (10k+) to be around great placer mining spots.

Time is ticking down till when my lease is up, so I'm just really trying to narrow it down to a few spots to find a place. I was thinking Grass Valley, but any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

gldguy1

Apr 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your looking to rent get ready for sticker shock around auburn and grass valley. If your looking to buy get ready for same sticker shock. Auburn sra is hands and pans only now on all 42k acres.

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats cool. Best of luck to you. There are some great little cities in that area, guess it depends on what kind of amenities you want locally and how much weather you're willing to deal with. Wish I had some good recomendations for you but anywhere outside of the Bay area or Sacramento would be great in my book.

This might be of use for you: http://www.areavibes.com/search-results/

OP
OP
crumbaker

crumbaker

Feb 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appreciate the info, I'm from Ohio so any California weather is far better than what I'm used to. I just want to be in spot where I can mine publicly, ideally at least around a place where you can use a sluice and where there's a lot of gold. Will be renting, possibly a room share situation on craigslist.

Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Gasoline TAX is about to increase and it will be significant. I suspect you have an established income that you are working off of and that you can depend on at least somewhat so go to a "Living Expense" calculator on the Web to have an idea of what sort of sticker shock you will be looking at in NorCal. Cali is just an expensive state to live in, even storage facilities are costly. Best of success with your aspirations!................63bkpkr

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with John, if my income was not based in California, I would be gone because it has become the absolutely worst place for Mining and many other activities. Nothing but activists and laws against you in Komifornia unless you're an illegal...

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"...and I probably don't have any kids."
knock, knock, knock...is that you daddy?
:dontknow:

OP
OP
crumbaker

crumbaker

Feb 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually have done it in Southern Oregon in the past. Did find some gold, but the anti-dredge folks have made it a pain to do it there too. From my research it seems like there's a lot more gold in California, could be wrong though. But Washington really? I know there's hot spots, but I've not heard about a significant amount in general, especially compared to the motherload.

As far as living expense goes, places that have a real winter cost a lot more than people realize. Heating costs go through the roof, and that can last 5 months sometimes. Winter is hell on cars, hurting resell value and costly repairs. We all have long commutes from the suburbs, or you can live in the city and pay a **** ton. I've lived in Oregon and Hawaii briefly, my assessment is I'll take a slightly higher rent cost over the hell that is winter.

Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Washington, I think its the Blueet Pass (sp?) and then further up towards Canada is where the Washington State gold mining is that I am aware of however I know very little about Wa state gold as I never had the chance to get out on the path less travelled up there.

Right on Reed, same here!..............63bkpkr

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's definitely anti dredge here and anti just about anything you want to do. I am moving out as soon as I retire to a friendlier place. If you must live in California there is the motherlode that stretches officially for 120 miles from Mariposa to Placerville and then many rivers and bits of ancient rivers you can take a potshot at. You might also get a claim they are still available. There are good size cities up the centerline of the state and you can position yourself outside of them and still be fairly close to the gold fields. Public access is limited and more so every day. Good Luck. Hope you don't get that knock on the door. It cost someone I know $93k when he got stared down by the three footer standing on his porch.

OP
OP
crumbaker

crumbaker

Feb 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's definitely anti dredge here and anti just about anything you want to do. I am moving out as soon as I retire to a friendlier place. If you must live in California there is the motherlode that stretches officially for 120 miles from Mariposa to Placerville and then many rivers and bits of ancient rivers you can take a potshot at. You might also get a claim they are still available. There are good size cities up the centerline of the state and you can position yourself outside of them and still be fairly close to the gold fields. Public access is limited and more so every day. Good Luck. Hope you don't get that knock on the door. It cost someone I know $93k when he got stared down by the three footer standing on his porch.

Where's the friendlier place for gold though that has a significant amount? I really wouldn't call Oregon more miner friendly.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
might be better off mining the gold in those computers you build and sell. This venture kinda seems doomed from the start.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oregon is but a shadow of what it once was, infested with controllers from other states. All three branches of state government are mad about telling us how to live here. Come to Oregon, but don't bring your dredge or hibanker for now. One way that doesn't get mentioned much in comparing Kal to Organistan is Kal just has more signs telling you what you can't do. Sorry about the negativity, just the way I see it. :unhappysmiley:

OP
OP
crumbaker

crumbaker

Feb 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
might be better off mining the gold in those computers you build and sell. This venture kinda seems doomed from the start.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

No need to be so negative. I make a reasonable living from what I do, and I really only do it part time. I love the outdoors, and don't plan on striking it rich. I'm just the type of person that can't sit in an office. Getting a little money from gold and sticking with my main source of income, all the while being in a much nicer climate seems like win win for me. Just trying to narrow down a city now. $200 a week in gold alone would make for a very comfortable living for me.

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
No need to be so negative. I make a reasonable living from what I do, and I really only do it part time. I love the outdoors, and don't plan on striking it rich. I'm just the type of person that can't sit in an office. Getting a little money from gold and sticking with my main source of income, all the while being in a much nicer climate seems like win win for me. Just trying to narrow down a city now. $200 a week in gold alone would make for a very comfortable living for me.

Unless you have your own productive placer/hardrock claim your asking alot out of mother earth.Places like my county of Calaveras in California has limited access to BLM lands.About 75% is landlocked by private property.People anywhere these days are very reluctant to let you on their ground even if you know them well,due to liability.But if you persist and are extremely lucky you might meet your goals...good luck.

gldguy1

Apr 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't mind us, we are just tired of being over taxed, over regulated, and just tired of the bs from the people who run this state. At least I am anyways, others might be fine

SteveOrygun

Apr 15, 2017
Orygunistan
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro Born 4/17..
Fisher CZ3d W/Nasa Tom tune!
Whites V3i.... WOW!!😎
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Who, in their right mind would ever,EVER move TO Commiforniestan??

Now, yea, Im an idiot, I moved to Oregon from Wyoming! Eugene no less. I tried to get back a little bit of my miss spent youth, the free spirit from my younger days.. yea, well, I hate hippy commie ****s. So.. back to the drawing board.

Go mobile is my advice. Sell all burdensome crap, buy a school us, class B RV and go where you want when you want. Get an adresss in a no income tax state, OR has income tax but cheap auto registration plus its two years!!

Dont move to Cali, please...

OP
OP
crumbaker

crumbaker

Feb 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve I thought about that, but I need an address for ebay unfortunately. I really don't think this goal is all that crazy. Hell I know spots in Ohio I could probably pull a consistent 3 grams a week. I wouldn't think it would be that hard to find 6ish grams gold a week in California, especially a guy that's youngish(34) and in good shape. Even if I don't, I'm fine financially anyway. Thanks for those of you that gave sound advice. I think I'm going to just hit up the motherload section on craigslist and find the best deal I can.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread