DURANGO prospectors

Crashcrew

Apr 24, 2017
Hesperus, Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking for someone knowledgeable that that can come out to the ranch I live on and give some tips and pan some gold. I know there is gold in this river and there is most definitely lots of ancient river to dig. PM me and let's get some gold. I'll give more info about the place once I receive a PM.

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post Crashcrew - so, Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. DURANGO might be a place in Mexico or perhaps a town? So, you might also consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and soliciting help as well...

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup, he's in Durango Colorado :)

sherm

Feb 8, 2017
mt jewett pa
Detector(s) used
minelab eurka gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard Crashcrew, So lucky you are, to have a ranch and to have gold on it. I wished I could take you up on that offer, but being 1800 miles or so away, is out of reach for me at this time. Passed thru Durango a few times a number of years ago. Nice town. Say is that mine fire still burning? Can't recall how far it was from Durango, but saw it from a distant coming up from Santa Fe. Try looking on the net under how to read a stream and find gold. You should get your info from those stories and what equipment you'll need. I have just about everything a person should need, but I'm here. Well, good luck to you, Butch

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I can come this summer at some point. Just not sure of my schedule yet :)

Hunt4gold

Oct 20, 2016
Colorado, Littleton
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Crashcrew, I get down to Durango area 2-3 times a year - would enjoy testing out new equipment we're developing. Most likely getting down that way in early to mid June....

OP
OP
C

Crashcrew

Apr 24, 2017
Hesperus, Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of equipment are we talking about? Right now the river is up because of the warm weather. I've started looking elsewhere besides the river for now. Send me a pm with the details and let's go from there. I always welcome anyone who can teach me and have a little fun getting gold.

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have tried to figure out exactly where the glacial moraines from La Plata Canyon were deposited. One source I found said that they once existed just below the Mayday mine site, but in my humble opinion that is too close to the mouth of the canyon for that to have occurred. The glacier would have extended farther than that to the south.

My reasoning is that any ground above the terminal moraine location will be thoroughly mixed with sediments and rocks, and not easily concentrated out of that mélange. But below the location of the terminal moraine it is possible that erosional forces have created placers from the gold washed out of the moraine. Though there is no record of any such placers being found since the late 1800's. The glacier left over 10,000 years ago though, so the river has had a lot of time to dig down below where the grade was when it was still in place.

So where is all the gold that eroded out of La Plata Canyon over the eons then? THAT is the question. Did it all get ground up into flour gold and get washed down the watershed and is deposited all along the La Plata River? Or has it accumulated in placer formations that are perhaps buried under more recent overburden deposits? I would like to do some field work to try to figure this mystery out.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Are you guys digging in Durango? Is the ground frozen solid now?
I'm off during the winter and it's too snowy here, cant get to my claim either. I'd love to get out and see some gold!

Might be better to plan a group thing if its alot of sampling. A few guys can do alot together in a couple of days and test alot of testing.
Got any pics of what you've found so far?

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now is not the time to dig in the Durango area, lol. I am doing research in the off season, and getting everything ready equipment wise for after the thaw. I may try to hit the Lost Carson Mine search area this year, I got more vacation at work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread