Horst

Apr 13, 2017
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 + SDC2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi there,

I am new to TREASURENET. My name is Horst and I live in germany. The gold we find over here is SMALL. Average 1/10000 gram per piece. My wife and I will be flying into San Francisco 31st. August 2017 and travel to the motherlode. As this will be our honeymoon trip I will only have 3-4 days for gold prospecting. I want to bring my metal detector, folding sluice box, shovel, pans and some crevicing tools. The infos I received from the parks is that there is only "hands and pans". Can anyone help me finding a claim (I'm willing to pay a fee) and/or public lands I can work with the before mentioned equipment?

Your help is highly appreciated!

Kind regards and lots of gold 2 U

Horst

Upvote 0

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Horst, and welcome to treasurenet. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and honeymoon!
There are many people on this forum who live in California and can offer excellent advice. I don't live in California, but I'm commenting because I just traveled there last week from the New York area and spent a day prospecting, so my situation is a little bit like yours.
Here's the location where I went for the day: Bear River Park and Campground, near Colefax, CA. There is a parking area along the Bear River at this location: 39°04'44.2"N 120°59'38.6"W.
This is a well known, public location (so I don't mind telling you about it, and neither should anyone else) and it is "miner friendly" and a location that allows the use of a sluice box. It is easy to access with a normal car. And finally, you'll be able to get some gold there. If you look at satellite images you'll see a large cobble bar right next to that parking area; all you have to do is dig into the cobble bar and process the hard-packed sands around the cobbles, and you'll get some gold. It won't be nuggets or even pickers, but you'll get some flakes and lots of smaller gold.
Here is a picture of the gold I got in two buckets of material, in about 45 minutes. The second picture is the kind of material that you have to dig (notice my tiny shovel; that is all that will fit in a suitcase that I can check as luggage on a plane).
m9yJddp.jpg
OR0nqSY.jpg

I'm confident that others will have many more, and some better, suggestions than the Bear River, but this is the location that I visit when I have limited time and want to be sure to get some gold to bring home.
Good luck and have fun!

- Brian

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ill be posting a thread on an assault that just happened at Bear River.

Ill send a pm this evening in regards to your Fall trip..

I'll help you out have places to go.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
At the very top of the bar at bear river cg the water is super slow moving and nobody can get their sluices to work up there so nobody digs up there, you want hard pack you got hard pack, good color too. We've done pretty well up there with a little rocker box.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ill be posting a thread on an assault that just happened at Bear River...
Thanks for posting the news article Goldwasher.
For the benefit of the original poster I'll say this: threatening conversations can happen anywhere, and hopefully this is a pretty isolated event at Bear River Campground. Also, the location I suggested isn't actually at the campground - I've actually never seen the campground itself.
When I visited the River last week there were about 12 other prospectors, and they were all very nice to me. They kept to themselves (a few of them working in pairs), but they had no problem with me setting up in their general vicinity (within 100 feet or so of them). I would think that if you, Horst, were to show up explaining that you're in from Germany on your honeymoon they'd welcome you and help you out - that's what I've seen from most prospectors in areas like these.
Anyway, I'm not taking away from the seriousness of the threat made to that couple at the Campground over Easter weekend, but I did want to offer some other insight into what I've personally seen, which is good behavior from the folks at the River itself.

- Brian

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting the news article Goldwasher.
For the benefit of the original poster I'll say this: threatening conversations can happen anywhere, and hopefully this is a pretty isolated event at Bear River Campground. Also, the location I suggested isn't actually at the campground - I've actually never seen the campground itself.
When I visited the River last week there were about 12 other prospectors, and they were all very nice to me. They kept to themselves (a few of them working in pairs), but they had no problem with me setting up in their general vicinity (within 100 feet or so of them). I would think that if you, Horst, were to show up explaining that you're in from Germany on your honeymoon they'd welcome you and help you out - that's what I've seen from most prospectors in areas like these.
Anyway, I'm not taking away from the seriousness of the threat made to that couple at the Campground over Easter weekend, but I did want to offer some other insight into what I've personally seen, which is good behavior from the folks at the River itself.

- Brian

I totally agree if its prospectors that you run into.

The campground id totally sketchy. The reason I posted is that someone from out of the area especilly the country is going to be way less familiar with the area. Bear River campground could be the first place they come across easily.

From the story and article I get the impression that this couple did the same thing. Day trips and trying to camp in these areas are totally different situations.

I wouldn't broadcast that I am on my honey moon with my new wife and totally out of my element to the people that camp at the Bear River Campground thats for sure.

Here is the letter the girl wrote and took it upon herself to put up at the area. This is not the first incident of this kind there. The S.O. can't do much unless they are there right when or after something happens.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1887518208192282&set=p.1887518208192282&type=3
17992127_1887518208192282_8465685766889271743_n.jpg

Don't be scared, pay attention judge the hell out of everyone until you know better.

I would like to gather about four of my friends dress like bay area hipsters bring out some shiney new gear and play newbies for a few hours before settling into camp.

Could be one hell of a fun and PRODUCTIVE evening really

ThatOneGuy

Apr 25, 2017
Placerville, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you find a campground that isn't packed with families, couples and generally not intimidating folk - I recommend extreme caution. I'm born and raised El Dorado county, been camping for decades.
It is not uncommon to encounter bizarre situations if you find yourself in a remote area and display any potential weakness - particularly I have found that groups of men in remote camps have a tendency to get weird and even dangerous as night falls and booze and tweak go around.
Always be prepared to defend yourself and your camp - don't be paranoid but prepare with a firearm if you have one, and at least some kind of blade.
If you are isolated and just a couple camping with the dogs, move your camp if you find a rowdy or large group arrive nearby. At the minimum you will likely have a long night of irritating loud hooligans.

Over on the highway 50 side I've had confrontations with the rough redneck pickup truck of drunk or tweaked out wiredos - even a group of 2 encroaching on our typical camp of 4 men 2 women.

Even in the family campgrounds domestic altercations are not uncommon- when abusers or angry drunks get going at 1am they often don't calm easily- at least there you have Rangers to break it up. You don't want rednecks getting wasted and aggressive if you are isolated - pack and move if any potential rough group arrive.
I've seen weird camps be nice, come visit offer you a beer - they might be scoping your camp. I'm telling you, groups of nice people sometimes behave much different at late night - don't take the chance if you don't have the means to defend yourself.

Pay attention and listen to your gut if something doesn't seem quite right.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Where I like to go in Wyoming a person would have to be high on drugs to mess with our camp at night ! and that would be his mistake!!!!!!!!!!!! There is usually 10 to 15 guys at our camp and everyone is packing. There's NO RUSHING OUR CAMP and brag about it anytime soon!

mattt

Apr 23, 2017
northern calif
Detector(s) used
Garrett at gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Horst look at Roaring Camp Pinegrove calif .On private property on mokelumne river in mother lode gold country. You can rent cabins they even do a steak cookout on sat night. Another place safe is Gold prospecting adventures in Jamestown Calif more commercial but nice historic hotels near and wineries ie honeymoon. Roaring camp is one of a kind went there as a kid in the early 70,s and it is owned by same family . 100 % safe private canyon and gold .Look at there web site. Lived in Germany in the 80,s had a great time was in boebligen near stuttgart for 2 years.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Horst look at Roaring Camp Pinegrove calif ....
I've heard great things about Roaring Camp too.
The East Bay Prospectors GPAA chapter (Eastbay Gold Prospecting & Treasure Hunting Club) visits there every year and they speak very highly of the place. I attended a few of their meetings last year, and they are great people. You may want to reach out to them and maybe they could help you when you visit. Sourdoe Joe was the guy who first took me to Bear River.
- Brian

OP
OP
H

Horst

Apr 13, 2017
Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dear all,

many thanks for your good advice. We will start our honeymoon at Roaring Camp for the first 3 days and go from there. I'm really looking forward going to "Gold country" I'm very excited about using my new Whites GMT. I never used a MT for the prospecting. By the time I travelled to the US frequently there was no internet and I missed so much gold in AZ and CA not having the experience nor correct tools. At least I found some. I'll pay the Bear River Campground a visit when it takes us into the area. Do I need to go up or down the river? How far from the Campground?
We'll watch out for suspicious folks and move on if we don't feel comfortable. I've spent much time in the US many years ago and everybody was very friendly. I never had any kind of problem. I hope it will stay that way.

Thank's for your help

Horst

Last edited:

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Horst, when prospecting the Bear river I've never actually seen the campground. The place to access the river is on Plumtree Road.
Take a look at Google Maps, the satellite view. Look at where the campground is, then look at the river. See those large bars (white sandy looking areas) in the river to the southwest of the campground? The first bar closest to the campground is next to a parking area on Plumtree Road. That's where to park and to access the river. No need to go to the campground.

Good luck!
- Brian

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Horst. Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials and your trip to the motherlode. You will most likely do well at Roaring Camp. If you are going to the Bear River early September will be a good time. The water level currently on the Bear is higher than optimal in the main channel of the river, running about 380 cfs (cubic feet per second). By Sept 1 it hopefully will drop to somewhere around 100cfs or lower. This lower water level will expose the craggy bedrock outcroppings and there will be many wingdam a constructed and abandoned to work. The gold is small there but an occasional picker is found. If you contact me by p.m. When you get here I will loan you one of my Bazooka Gold Traps so you can directly shovel into the sluice without having to spend time classifying. I can leave it for you at Goldwasher's prospecting shop in Coloma and you can pick it up and return it to him there.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Horst. Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials and your trip to the motherlode. You will most likely do well at Roaring Camp. If you are going to the Bear River early September will be a good time. The water level currently on the Bear is higher than optimal in the main channel of the river, running about 380 cfs (cubic feet per second). By Sept 1 it hopefully will drop to somewhere around 100cfs or lower. This lower water level will expose the craggy bedrock outcroppings and there will be many wingdam a constructed and abandoned to work. The gold is small there but an occasional picker is found. If you contact me by p.m. When you get here I will loan you one of my Bazooka Gold Traps so you can directly shovel into the sluice without having to spend time classifying. I can leave it for you at Goldwasher's prospecting shop in Coloma and you can pick it up and return it to him there.

I also have shovels and buckets. anything you may need to borrow. If your in the area on a Tuesday or Wednesday I would gladly spend some time with you and help you find some gold while your here. My treat for your honeymoon.

Pm me if you want my contact info

OP
OP
H

Horst

Apr 13, 2017
Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi there,

many thanks for your very kind offer. I have no idea where we gonna go after leaving Roaring Camp. But here is my private email [email protected] so we can stay in touch.

Gold 2 U

Horst

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Horst , congrats to you and your new bride, enjoy your honeymoon and good luck.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A "must listen to" before heading west -

Welcome from Minnesota!

OP
OP
H

Horst

Apr 13, 2017
Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dear all,

many thanks for your very kind posts and help.

My wife Kerstin and I had a blast at Roaring Camp. A never to forget experience and an absolute "must do it again" thing.

We really felt like we were coming home. Wonderful people and a famous location. We had full moon on Saturday and a delicious BBQ.

With the great help of Joe I found some nice Gold. After leaving RRC we went to the north Yuba where we met some very nice fellows and thanks to Rick's permission we were allowed to work on his private claim.

All in I found abou 2 grams including some nice pickers.

Again, we had a blast and thank's again to all of you who helped to make this happen.

AU 2 you

Kerstin & Horst

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Horst, we (TNETers) are so happy with the wonderful time you and your wife had at Happy Camp in NorCal gold country here in the U.S.A.! It is special when a long awaited something comes out so well. Merry Christmas & a Wonderful New Year to you both..............63bkpkr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread