Tailings and an abandoned mine.

jza01701

Jun 17, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So, I would assume assaying a sample is going to be a common response to this thread.

I have a claim in Nevada that was an abandoned mine.

The tailings near the adit look to be mostly flour gold. The entire pile is filled with golden yellow fine materials.

I was planning on drywashing as there is zero water even to purchase within 30 miles.

I looked at photos of gold dust online; some are likely gold, the rest are likely scammers selling sand.

I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of this or personally pulled large amounts of flour gold out of tailings?

It just seems a little uncommon to me to see such a large amount of gold colored material in the sand and gravel tailings.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Homophobic as all the gold in California...LOL.
Jaz, I highly recommend you tone down your comments on gays and post by our rules.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm on board with sulfides waste. That said, in an area with no water to process material my guess is they only took the best stuff. probably left allot of smaller material laying around. Haul some water out there or haul some material home and pan it. From what I have been seeing on the internets them old timers out in the desert left allot of good material laying behind.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
JZA, respectfully, I do wish you would not make the one line posts
one after another. You can easily edit a post (for a period of time)
and add your other comments, making one post instead of 3 or 4.
JMHO.

I do love those old mine adits, but anymore I'm not about to risk my
scalp crawling around in one. Besides, if I died in a cave-in my wife
would dig me out just so she could kick my ass for going in the damn
thing in the first place...
no-216.gif~original

Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old mines are interesting things - was once following the narrow gauge ore cart track by flashlight and at one point my light became quite dim but shining it on the mine wall next to me it was as bright as could be, shine it down on the track & ties and most of the light got dim!? Hmmm! Got down on the ties real close and found that the ceiling of the tunnel below had collapsed, my light was passing right through into the tunnel below. When I got down to that collapsed section I shined my light up and there were the rails & ties above. So you see I am crazy!.................63bkpkr

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can truly say I don't know what you are looking at but it is not gold. One post said 2-3 oz. per ton? That would be an EXTREMELY rich mine! No prospector with any sense would allow that to get away. If you had a specimen sent to you, it has to be an ENRICHED specimen. Common for site unseen sales scams. You may have ore possibly worth processing but it sure isn't gold. TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It could be two -three ounces per ton of concentrates.
I suspect not, Dave. If he DID get a valid assay, the method by which the sample was obtained (i.e. coning and quartering, fractional shoveling) would be included with the assay. Let him provide the assay file. THEN we'll see. He has never conducted the assay that is sure. I will ask you though, is assaying concentrates a valid method? TTC

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
I suspect not, Dave. If he DID get a valid assay, the method by which the sample was obtained (i.e. coning and quartering, fractional shoveling) would be included with the assay. Let him provide the assay file. THEN we'll see. He has never conducted the assay that is sure. I will ask you though, is assaying concentrates a valid method? TTC

Assaying concentrates can be valid, but you'd need to know the exact upgrade ratio from plain ore to the cons.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It could be two -three ounces per ton of concentrates.
Dave, or anyone, I did some checking and could not find if fractional shoveling is still used in assays. Pretty sure coning and quartering still is. Can you help me find the answer? TTC

Edit: Disregard.... found shoveling still in use (as of 1993) Tnx

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Assaying concentrates can be valid, but you'd need to know the exact upgrade ratio from plain ore to the cons.

Assaying concentrates (using the upgrade ratio) makes lots of sense. The metals in the ore which don't make it into the concentrates (due to chemistry or process issues) should be excluded from any economic analysis of an ore body. Those metals will be in a tailings pile for future generations to figure out how to recover ;)

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
You can have ten different assays done and get ten different results....An old mining axiom goes something like this..No one knows what's beyond the point of a pick.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread