Camp Safety and Preparation

ThatOneGuy

Apr 25, 2017
Placerville, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is a repost of a reply I wrote. I thought it may be a good reminder for any flatlanders. Stick to populated patrolled campgrounds unless you are prepared for the unexpected.

If you find a campground that isn't packed with families, couples and generally not intimidating folk - I recommend extreme caution. I'm born and raised El Dorado county, been camping for decades.
It is not uncommon to encounter bizarre situations if you find yourself in a remote area and display any potential weakness - particularly I have found that groups of men in remote camps have a tendency to get weird and even dangerous as night falls and booze and tweak go around.
Always be prepared to defend yourself and your camp - don't be paranoid but prepare with a firearm if you have one, and at least some kind of blade.
If you are isolated and just a couple camping with the dogs, move your camp if you find a rowdy or large group arrive nearby. At the minimum you will likely have a long night of irritating loud hooligans.

Over on the highway 50 side I've had confrontations with the rough redneck pickup truck of drunk or tweaked out wiredos - even a group of 2 encroaching on our typical camp of 4 men 2 women.

Even in the family campgrounds domestic altercations are not uncommon- when abusers or angry drunks get going at 1am they often don't calm easily- at least there you have Rangers to break it up. You don't want rednecks getting wasted and aggressive if you are isolated - pack and move if any potential rough group arrive.
I've seen weird camps be nice, come visit offer you a beer - they might be scoping your camp. I'm telling you, groups of nice people sometimes behave much different at late night - don't take the chance if you don't have the means to defend yourself.

Pay attention and listen to your gut if something doesn't seem quite right.

Upvote 0

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steinbeck is one of my favorite authors.

I always liked the guys who wrote about the things they lived.

Edward Abbey, Stienbeck ,Jack London (more boat pilot than miner)

or life and death Cormac Mcarthy

the irony of life....Johnny Cash

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steinbeck is one of my favorite authors.

I always liked the guys who wrote about the things they lived.

Edward Abbey, Stienbeck ,Jack London (more boat pilot than miner)

or life and death Cormac Mcarthy

the irony of life....Johnny Cash

You ever read any Farly Mowat Goldwasher?

He's the dude that wrote Never Cry Wolf. Mowat also wrote a book based on his experience with the Inuit Indians of northern Canada. That one is called People of The Deer, one of my all time favorites.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recently I've been camping on private land. It's not all that remote. But far enough from people that being prepared has nothing to do with paranoid. I almost always have a side arm and a shotgun there. Not always on me but somewhere close, especially at night. There are tweekers and all kinds of things that go on in the woods.

In the past I've argued (shortly) with a guy on my own land about who owned it. He had a pistol in his hand telling me I wasn't the owner, when I know I am!!. When I saw he was getting angry, I backed down and agreed with him that I "may" be mistaken. NEVER again! Will I feel like I should have to back down on my own land.

Now with my wife, our 2 year old son, and I camping there. I will be armed. Not just because of the two legged creatures but for the coyotes that are over running the place. Kind of scary when there is a small child and the coyotes aren't afraid to come right into camp. I've never been nervous about coyotes before until this last time of camping. We actually slept in the back of the truck with our son. And as soon as dark fell we put him in the back of the truck. They aren't afraid!!! I've camped most of my life off and on and have never had the coyotes wonder in that close and as many that are running around. Other than where we lived in the past and they will come in the yard to try to lure your dogs out.

So, I don't think it's paranoia so much as being prepared for whatever may crawl or walk in on you.

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Sounds like a great place to do some thinning with the AR w/night sight!

Yes! Ar and mini14...One for me and one for her.:laughing7: The bad thing is? She wants to make a pink AR?!!!!! :laughing7:
I was just reading how there are only two known killing attacks on humans. And I've never been nervous before. I know they aren't known to be aggressive to humans. But...... I literally cleaned up 20 piles right where we camped to keep my son away from it. Maybe we were just parked right on top of their area. It's been a few years since I spent any real amount of time there and I've never seen and heard so many before. The neighbor said they are a problem in that area. So, I know it wasn't just me. haha

Last edited:

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey, pink is good! There are some ladies out there that can get the lead out faster and more accurate than the average joe blow that thinks he's good! Nothin' like a lady sidekick!

mattt

Apr 23, 2017
northern calif
Detector(s) used
Garrett at gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Went to bear river last month found gold in every pan. yes there was a tweaker or to but more good folks. Will go back. ps no fire arms allowed county park wink wink

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread