Classifiers

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A year or so ago I read a post about some reasonably priced classifiers that ran all the way down into the 400 mesh range. I wrote all the information down and now cannot find it anywhere. I've spent several hours searching these posts and still no luck. Does anyone remember this or know where I can purchase 200 to 400 mesh screen or premade classifiers in that size range? Thanks.

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminder you can't post links to non supporting vendors that specialize in items sold by supporting vendors.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
F

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for your replies. Sorry, I didn't realize asking this was going to cause anybody to violate TreasurenNet rules. I wasn't aware that any of your supporting venders offered 200 to 400 mesh classifiers.

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks everyone for your replies. Sorry, I didn't realize asking this was going to cause anybody to violate TreasurenNet rules. I wasn't aware that any of your supporting vendors offered 200 to 400 mesh classifiers.

Gotta ask..why do you feel the need to classify all the way
down to 400 mesh? You'd need a decent magnifying glass
just to see it at that size.

OP
OP
F

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta ask..why do you feel the need to classify all the way
down to 400 mesh? You'd need a decent magnifying glass
just to see it at that size.

I'm in Illinois so there isn't a lot of gold in my area over 100 mesh. Not visible to my naked eyes is a very very large amount of micro flakes that I can only see with a loupe. I am planning on using my rock tumbler as a small roller mill and just do some experiments to try and isolate some of the micro gold from the cons. I will probably end up purchasing a retort and use mercury to capture the micro flakes but I think it will be interesting to play around with different options that the small mesh size might help me with.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Those are nice Kev but 120 is the finest he wants 400, which I couldn't find. My post/link got down to 325

Actually you are confused by these being labeled in micron sizing instead of mesh. They really do go small 60 micron is 240 mesh. The others are 125 and 170 mesh. Yours goes smaller for sure but these are the least expensive below 100 mesh that I've ever seen!

Last edited:

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Actually you are confused by these being labeled in micron sizing instead of mesh. They really do go small 60 micron is 240 mesh. The others are 125 and 170 mesh. Yours goes smaller for sure but these are the least expensive below 100 mesh that I've ever seen!

KEV the mesh on the ones you listed seems fine. I was just glad to see they were multi purpouse...

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A year or so ago I read a post about some reasonably priced classifiers that ran all the way down into the 400 mesh range. I wrote all the information down and now cannot find it anywhere. I've spent several hours searching these posts and still no luck. Does anyone remember this or know where I can purchase 200 to 400 mesh screen or premade classifiers in that size range? Thanks.

Just out of curiosity....What is the smallest mesh size of the classifiers you now have? The reason I ask is because there have been some posts on this forum where people have under or over estimated the screen sizes of some of their pesky fines. Some of them were screening to only about 30 mesh much less to minus 100 mesh in the first place so they were having a hard time panning the mixed mesh minus size concentrates. I have found that screening one or two steps below 50 mesh (say 100 and 150) will usually facilitate panning to separate out the vast majority of the gold in many, though not all, scenarios. As an example, I mine ocean beach gold and virtually all of it is minus 100 mesh but most of it (in weight) is plus 150 mesh. I just save the minus 150 mesh to play with when I don't have anything better to do.

Good luck

Last edited:

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife tumbles rocks we find, We bought sifters down to 600 mesh. google is your friend.

OP
OP
F

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just out of curiosity....What is the smallest mesh size of the classifiers you now have? The reason I ask is because there have been some posts on this forum where people have under or over estimated the screen sizes of some of their pesky fines. Some of them were screening to only about 30 mesh much less to minus 100 mesh in the first place so they were having a hard time panning the mixed mesh minus size concentrates. I have found that screening one or two steps below 50 mesh (say 100 and 150) will usually facilitate panning to separate out the vast majority of the gold in many, though not all, scenarios. As an example, I mine ocean beach gold and virtually all of it is minus 100 mesh but most of it (in weight) is plus 150 mesh. I just save the minus 150 mesh to play with when I don't have anything better to do.

Good luck

I am not sure of the exact mesh size of my smallest classifier. Right now I am using a nylon coffee filter for my smallest classification. Best guess is 80 to 100 mesh.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread