Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

crumbaker

Feb 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope it's done the proper way. Making this accessible for everyone for a variety of uses is great, making this accessible to some corporation with a no bid contract is not so great.

Cassews

Dec 29, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett/White
Primary Interest:
Other
I do hope they open things up and maybe set aside something for the native Indians.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Public comment periods are just a formality to make it look like your opinion matters before they do what they have already decided to do.
In this case, I hope that is exactly what happens.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do hope they open things up and maybe set aside something for the native Indians.

I realize Colorado has several national monuments that are centered around Native American heritage, so I get where you are coming from.
However - how much would be reasonable compensation...just "something"?
Who gets to decide what lands get "set aside"?
How about your favorite mountain lake or the mountains in your back yard?

Around here the local indian tribes want ALL of the public land back. It's a slippery slope.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If i recall-

The previous executive of the previous administration claimed about one million acres of public land in Utah under the Antiquities Act of 1906. If you read the Antiquities Act of 1906 it refers to objects and monuments, and specifically restricts land taken to be the least needed to preserve the object or monument. Perhaps this administration intends to return public land to the public. You know you can't even hunt,fish, or camp at a national monument? What good is that?

Sockeye1730

Feb 7, 2017
Juneau AK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I camp at a national monument wilderness area all the time. Catch fish and shoot deer there too. Maybe it's different down there.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wilderness area designations are not created by the stroke of the pen and are managed differently than National Monuments.

In my area the "ists" wanted to create a National Monument that swallowed up entire communities and encompassed 100,000's of acres of private property.
Obama designated a much smaller monument adjacent to this.

Last edited:

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Is the Admiralty Island Monument inside Kootznoowoo, or is Kootznoowoo inside the monument? Or, is that kinda smeared together.

And, what exactly is Admiralty island monument? Is it a landmark, object, or stone marker? Cause if it is a tract of land, it ain't exactly a monument.

See here-

American Antiquities Act of 1906

16 USC 431-433
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, That any person who shall appropriate, excavate, injure, or destroy any historic or prehistoric ruin or monument, or any object of antiquity, situated on lands owned or controlled by the Government of the United States, without the permission of the Secretary of the Department of the Government having jurisdiction over the lands on which said antiquities are situated, shall, upon conviction, be fined in a sum of not more than five hundred dollars or be imprisoned for a period of not more than ninety days, or shall suffer both fine and imprisonment, in the discretion of the court.

Sec. 2. That the President of the United States is hereby authorized, in his discretion, to declare by public proclamation historic landmarks, historic and prehistoric structures, and other objects of historic or scientific interest that are situated upon the lands owned or controlled by the Government of the United States to be national monuments, and may reserve as a part thereof parcels of land, the limits of which in all cases shall be confined to the smallest area compatible with proper care and management of the objects to be protected: Provided, That when such objects are situated upon a tract covered by a bona fied unperfected claim or held in private ownership, the tract, or so much thereof as may be necessary for the proper care and management of the object, may be relinquished to the Government, and the Secretary of the Interior is hereby authorized to accept the relinquishment of such tracts in behalf of the Government of the United States.

Sec. 3. That permits for the examination of ruins, the excavation of archaeological sites, and the gathering of objects of antiquity upon the lands under their respective jurisdictions may be granted by the Secretaries of the Interior, Agriculture, and War to institutions which the may deem properly qualified to conduct such examination, excavation, or gathering, subject to such rules and regulation as they may prescribe: Provided, That the examinations, excavations, and gatherings are undertaken for the benefit of reputable museums, universities, colleges, or other recognized scientific or educational institutions, with a view to increasing the knowledge of such objects, and that the gatherings shall be made for permanent preservation in public museums.

Sec. 4. That the Secretaries of the Departments aforesaid shall make and publish from time to time uniform rules and regulations for the purpose of carrying out the provisions of this Act.

Approved, June 8, 1906

"That the President of the United States is hereby authorized, in his discretion, to declare by public proclamation historic landmarks, historic and prehistoric structures, and other objects of historic or scientific interest that are situated upon the lands owned or controlled by the Government of the United States to be national monuments, nd may reserve as a part thereof parcels of land, the limits of which in all cases shall be confined to the smallest area compatible with proper care and management of the objects to be protected"

How much land can a President claim to protect a tract of land?

All of it maybe.

A tract of land is not a monument. The Obama claimed hundreds of thousands of acres citing the 1906 Antiquities Act. This is what the current administration is trying to clean up.

Sockeye1730

Feb 7, 2017
Juneau AK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know the answer to your questions Duckshot, to be honest. Call the USFS juneau ranger district and ask for Chad VanOrmer, he's the monument t ranger. I'm sure he'd have the answers.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sockeye1730, I looked around with my search engine for a map of Admiralty Island that defines the wilderness area and the monument. I could not find one but then again I am on a Commodore 64b. :BangHead:

Thanks for the tip.

OP
OP
winners58

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the comment period is open at http://www.regulations.gov by entering “DOI-2017-0002”
lots of comments from the conservationist
to view other comments click , "Open Docket Folder" at the top

I'm all for historic or natural wonders but whole mountain ranges, whole areas with every other section is private property
the cascade siskiyou is in a checkerboard of the O&C lands that logging is supposed to support schools
the millions upon millions of acres in California, because its not managed just right, the courts now have BLM reporting to CBD

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread