Pick tip or chisel tip rock hammer for general prospecting?

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other

HMiller

Aug 6, 2015
Darrington, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Bazooka Sniper 30", Gold Cube 4 Stack, Gold Cube Trommel, Gold Screw Trommel, Jaw crushers, Impact Mill, Shaker Table, Spiral Wheels, Blue Bowl, Sluices, Picks, Pry Bars, Shovels,
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I love the Paleo, it passes the test here for picking.. It's​ light and durable but a bit spendy. Worth it though. I have many Eastwing products and they have all passed the test of time including my kids. The hammers are great quality, you can't go wrong.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

infotraker

Dec 20, 2013
Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For a light hammer pick up a Stanley masonry hammer, flat blade on one end. Get for prying and pulling material.

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can't go wrong with a estwing. I always carry the Paleo pick, and sometimes a estwing rock hammer or estwing brick hammer. Estwing is the only hammers I will buy. Super durable you don't have to worry about breaking them. You only need to worry about people stealing them.

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
Yes Estwings are great tools,but it's the fellow treasure hunter that will steal your tools if you leave them laying around or hidden...not crack or meth heads.

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lol, meth heads will steal everything and anything they think they can pawn

Skunked68w

Jul 25, 2015
Denver, CO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The standard 22oz estwing steel rock pick with pointed tip that saltwatersevr posted is the best all around hammer. The chisel tip or masonary hammers are best for when you need to split rocks while fossil hunting

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a Eastwing rock hammer for all my detecting, including rural coin/relic hunting. There are times, I wish also had one of those commercial picks with the super magnet, but I suspect they are very heavy.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No doubt about it. Estwing. Here is my newer one.... 22 oz. think. Not cheap but durable. ALWAYS wear safety glasses! TTC

Estwing.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread