White water rafting prospecting

infotraker

Dec 20, 2013
Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a chance to go white water rafting on the south fork of the American river with a experienced rafter. We want to stop numerous places and prospect. Should we launch at chili bar, camp lotus or other and take out at the salmon Falls bridge area ? Has anyone else prospecting like this ? Sounds like we may find some better gold in inaccessible areas for most people.

Upvote 0

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
That's a great idea! I know folks who cleaned up doing just that! Some just float down river on inner tubes.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds like a dream trip!

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Make sure your areas are open to prospecting and that they are not under claim. Just because you say its inaccessible doesn't mean no active claims. I have friends that have helicoptered gear in.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chili Bar Joe made a decent living off that area for years. Charley B. was his real name but river names stick-Lots of luck-John

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good spots the whole way down. More private land below Camp Lotus than above.

I have insurance to guide people on land I'm trying to set something up with a company to take people down in commercial boats.The raft companies have the permits and insurance for the river.

If you put a customer in a boat you need a river permit. To run the boat. Only existing companies can get boat permits. To start a rafting company you need Board of Supervisor approval. It's an involved process. If you take customers to BLM land you need a use permit unless its your claim or lease.

The river is no joke right now. the rafting companies have all upped their minimum age from seven to ten and twelve depending on what section you are running.There have been several rescues this season already.

I hope you aren't planning on just plopping people in someones boat and taking them down river to pan. It just isn't that simple if you want to do it right.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is just a personal trip your best bet is probably from Chili Bar to Lotus. There are areas withdrawn I need to double check don't remember if all of the BLM is withdrawn. I'll look at the MTP later. I've got diggin and camera checkin to do today.

Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rafting is a great way to be where other folks generally are not. However, as indicated above you'd should know/understand the water level and where there are rapids and falls. If you are in the water with high CFS's like early season runoff and if you do not know the river/do not understand rafting and if you do not wear safety equipment (flotation device and Plastic (not foam) helmet) and have Solid Paddles then you are risking your life!.............63bkpkr

OP
OP
infotraker

infotraker

Dec 20, 2013
Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is a well seasoned rafter that is taking me and a friend out prospecting the river, probably launch near lotus. Not a paid trip. He wants to wait until the flow is under 5000 Csf for safety reasons.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes SAFETY FIRST as have seen folks/friend die at the rapids adjacent to the horse trails area. Wish ya luck-John. PS the river rises daily usually as they release from the dam so may be flat low and calm then watch out as up she comes and the danger increases amazingly as no set time but rafters/farmers needs + more-John

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi infotraker,
Yup the South Fork has a lot of water flowing through it all the time so 5000 cfs might be low water for that river. I use USGS Real Time Water Flow Data to look at water conditions, I'd think they would have readings for the South Fork as well as they cover the entire US. Then Google Maps to take a look at the river from above, Satellite View, should also be helpful to obtain a feel for what lies ahead of you. Planning a water trip ahead of time is important, it is a good thing that "Dry Bags" are more common to find these days as they are what will make your trip down the river a better trip, nothing like dry clothes and sleeping bag in the evening! This should be quite an Adventure, looking forward to hearing about it!..............63bkpkr

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes SAFETY FIRST as have seen folks/friend die at the rapids adjacent to the horse trails area. Wish ya luck-John. PS the river rises daily usually as they release from the dam so may be flat low and calm then watch out as up she comes and the danger increases amazingly as no set time but rafters/farmers needs + more-John

no releases yet John. It's all natural flow will be for a while first summer in years. Used to be " no water Wednesday" they wouldn't do a release at all. Best day to snipe.
Normally the releases are pre-scheduled for the season. You can get the schedule on paper even.

No schedule out yet this year.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a local, anyone wanting info on the south fork it's flows and good rafting companies can pm me.

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There used to be a website with the info sponsored by the state watermaster dam by dam-on my old computer as just looked and not on this one-John

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
If it were me. and I was 20 years younger, I would set out at the Hiway 49 bridge and float down the canyon to Folsom Lake.
But I would not do it now, due to high flows and cold water. Late summer is best time to do that.

OP
OP
infotraker

infotraker

Dec 20, 2013
Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That would be a rough ride for sure ! Unless you where really experienced .

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
dont forget a good pair of goggles and snorkle, and your crevicing tools. wish i could come too. i see a gramer in your future

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That would be a rough ride for sure ! Unless you where really experienced .
did you make the trip? ive found kayaking for gold to be fun the couple times i done it.. still cant eskimo roll but personally i prefer the cheap rafts over hardshell.. usually do a lazy trip every year from ruckchucky to mammoth with my folks and brother..waitin for july.
anyway the river no joke at the moment. i fell in and took a little ride on the nfa. im still froze to the bone.. the upper nfa has npt seen much of a kayaking season this year. kinda suprising comsidering the flows. pickering to mineral is a decent stretch and nothin over class 3 . most people start at euchre and go thru the gorge.. i just dont have the skills to run the gorge yet. so far ive seen some great gold from riverrats this year. and late season should be even better once the river settles down.. just be safe and get some gold.. cant say im a fan of the mfa or sfa too many people for my taste.. get some gold be safe when in doubt just dont do it.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well its different now at 6750 cfs than when the water was running 175cfs and the pickins were easy. Stay safe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread