Help? Any good sluicing spots near BlackHawk CO?

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Ash, let me know if you have any questions. Check out my post about Clear Creek Canyon. It's just down stream of Blackhawk and runs along Highway 6. There is also some public land you can dig along Highway 119 (the road from Blackhawk to Highway 6). It is Parcel 1 with the red pin. It includes about 1/2 mile of North Clear Creek centered on Smith Hill Road. There are a couple other spots too but this is the biggest piece of public land on that creek.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1495491286.148730.jpg

When are you going? Water levels will be high the next few weeks as the winter snows rush to the sea. Be careful around the creeks. People die in those waters every year (usually rafters, not us smart prospectors!).

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AshThax

May 22, 2017
Northern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you so much for the info Kevin!! We are going to try the spot by Smith Hill for sure! I think we are also going to find a spot a little south of Smith Hill by Russells Gulch! I have been doing a lot of research on areas close to Smith Hill and I think, well I hope that we find some fun! We have talked my fiance's dad into going with us. We will be heading up Saturday morning. Some people like to do the whole boating thing on the water this weekend, but we would rather go play in dirt! Careful we will be! I imagine once runoff has slowed down we will be up there digging around a little more. We are very anxious and waiting until runoff slows down is not an option! We have just bought some new supplies and need to get out and use it. We are definitely the rookies with pans in our hand, but I see an addiction happening! If we find anything fun I will post some pictures! Thank you again for your help!

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Yep I can sure remember the thrill of the first time out panning/dredging. That memory alone will never go away like my ability to get up / down the hill sides to the creeks that plague me now ! Good luck on your trip and finding some gold!:occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread