Arizona #79 Mine

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Special thanks to Clay “Barry” Diggins for helping me find out the history of this mine. Clay writes,

It's an old lead mine. It was last operated in 1962. Several companies operated it through the years. There is some nice Wulfenite found in that area but it's all off limits to mineral collecting.

It's an active mining claim (AMC48421) and has been since 1879 - thus the name 79 mine. The whole area around there is claimed by Asarco and 79Minerals. I'm surprised you didn't run into one their guards.

There are a lot of hardrock workings up in that area. Many of the current active claims there were located in the 1900 - 1940 time frame.

The square nuts are pretty standard for remote mining equipment of the time. It was an easy thing to replace a nut with some bar stock, a chisel, a drill and a tap. Even if the equipment came with hex nuts they often got replaced during maintenance and modifications.

It might be a Stirling design. Hard to tell without all the machine being there. It looks like it had a few horsepower and with that big flywheel a lot of torque once it got turning.

Heavy Pans

Here is the video of our adventure to Hayden, Arizona area to film and photography this old mine remains.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
The "IR" stamped on the boiler at 0:42 might be Ingersoll-Rand.

Fantastic video and great choice for background music.

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You are correct in that being an Ingersoll-Rand. Here is an old 100 HP Oil Engine made by Ingersoll-Rand. Looks very similar to the photos I took.

Ingersoll-Rand.jpg IR.jpg

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Nice footage AZ !! you have that drone op. down pat ! Now if they would just invent a A.I.S. (airborne imaging system) that would be small and light enough to be installed onto a drone of that size!! Thanks for the tag-a-long!!

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In talking with a Ingersoll-Rand historian the engine/compressor dates back to 1920. It's a single cylinder 4 stroke engine, as you can see the rocker arms on one end. On the other end is a compressor of which both are connected to the crankshaft withe two flywheels. He said it's either ran on gasoline or kerosene.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
In talking with a Ingersoll-Rand historian the engine/compressor dates back to 1920. It's a single cylinder 4 stroke engine, as you can see the rocker arms on one end. On the other end is a compressor of which both are connected to the crankshaft withe two flywheels. He said it's either ran on gasoline or kerosene.

I like those old engines AZ. That one may have started on gas then after warmed up you switch tanks to kerosene. I had a small hit and miss farm engine (Wittie)that started that way. Wish I still had it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread