63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The weather in the California Sierras is warming though it is Not hot yet, just warming like 80's high and 50's low (elevation dependent). For instance the NFAR is running at 2000 CFS and has been holding there for many days which, to me, means there is plenty of snow in the high country that is slowly melting off.

2000 CFS for the NFAR is a Lot of water. 2000 CFS is 10X the barely safe swimmable flow level for the NFAR, at 250 CFS one can not swim up stream, and as the water feeding the river is coming from snow melt the water will be chilly to quite cold. I would suspect the NFAR water flows are similar to all other Sierra rivers and as such anyone going out to explore/work near the rivers should be very careful to not fall into the water as it will carry you down river very quickly and kill you if it can. The rivers do not have a mean streak its just that high water has a lot of energy in it and that energy is NOT a friend to anyone that falls into the high water flow.

My point in posting this is simply a safety reminder to be careful out there, the weather is quite nice for camping not too hot nor too cold but the rivers are high and will be into July so be careful, please!.....................63bkpkr

Upvote 0

newbAu

Aug 18, 2015
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Info! I have never been out west, but it is good to remember to watch your surroundings wherever you are prospecting. We can get tunnel vision when we are looking for the good stuff and forget the small dangers that can be out there.

infotraker

Dec 20, 2013
Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Several of us are working the south fork American river and we wear life jackets most of the time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread