British gold prospector looking for help in north CA

Daz_h

Jun 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

I am a British gold prospector and have been sent over by my work company to San Francisco for 2 months to do some I.T work. Whilst in California I was hoping to get a couple of weekends gold prospecting where it all started.

I am a recreational prospector and normally use a river sluice and pan in Wales and Scotland in the U.K. The gold in the U.K. Is few and far between with most gold being flour gold, where 0.5g per day is a good days panning.

I am hoping that someone can help me by pointing me in the direction of picking up basic equipment and some good spots that I can try within a couple of hours of San Francisco. Even better if there is anyone who would be willing to meet up and show me the ropes over here in California that would be awesome.

Thanks
Darren

Upvote 0

gldguy1

Apr 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what I mean by limbo is that the change was pushed internally and because ASRA isn't a "state park" people are fighting it and it isn't set in stone.

Agency pushes for gold prospecting restrictions

Technically there is federal pre-emption but, we all know how that goes. The best parts of ASRA are not the place to send someone their first time panning in Ca. anyways.

Getting in trouble while your here on a passport is not a very good idea either.

Thank you for the clarification on that. I agree that the best places are probably not the best for your first time. Especially with how the waters are running now

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Um, whilst in Calif. as long as you don't infringe on somebodies mining claim, and each claim should be well marked, and since your stay here is just for a few months I would just go for it and push the limits. One hand on your pan, the other hand with the "finger of independence" raised above your head.

Hopefully that was sarcasm.

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hopefully that was sarcasm.

uh, no... not sarcasm. Perhaps not the best advise for everyone but what better "volunteer" than a quick in and out fellow miner headed back for the Isles to help bring our plight to the forefront of the media? Don't know about allot of other places but here on the west coast it is good to see many "cases" just tossed out of court. Not mainstream news but worth a mention. There's a couple of ways to look at the first posters questions. First he ASKED FOR ADVICE whilst a very noble endeavour, who's to refain anyone's advise on the matter. Hell's bell's I'd like to see a bit more defiance instead of the way most of us have had to "sit and wait", on the big courts to decide our fate "in a timely manner". I've gone thru three dredges since this "where can I get some gold and what can I use" back and forth banter begun up on the Klamath River on a pretty summer day.....hondas just humming around every bend. Dang...I retract all of my advise and just keep my own finger cocked and locked. (offer still stands for the beer for gold thing....HA!!!)

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took that to mean - if you don't see any signs - jump in and start mining with your middle finger in the air!
I see from your response that you are referring to the California dredging/motorized mining fiasco.

I would agree - do what you are comfortable doing.

Garrote Gold

May 25, 2017
southern mines area mother load
Detector(s) used
AT gold,
Bazooka,
any gold pan will do
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should check out American mining rights association, they have weekend outings and you can get gold on any claim they have access to. They have good info on facebook, seems like they are open to any one even Aliens from other mining districts can join!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread