British gold prospector looking for help in north CA

Daz_h

Jun 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

I am a British gold prospector and have been sent over by my work company to San Francisco for 2 months to do some I.T work. Whilst in California I was hoping to get a couple of weekends gold prospecting where it all started.

I am a recreational prospector and normally use a river sluice and pan in Wales and Scotland in the U.K. The gold in the U.K. Is few and far between with most gold being flour gold, where 0.5g per day is a good days panning.

I am hoping that someone can help me by pointing me in the direction of picking up basic equipment and some good spots that I can try within a couple of hours of San Francisco. Even better if there is anyone who would be willing to meet up and show me the ropes over here in California that would be awesome.

Thanks
Darren

Upvote 0

infotraker

Dec 20, 2013
Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi, one place to set up a sluice is up from the Iowa hill bridge out of colfax hiway 80 above auburn. The path on the n. Side of the Iowa hill bridge goes to,Pennyweight bar, about 1 mile up river. Perfect sluicing. Equip can be bought at pioneer mining in auburn. Path starts about 1/8 mile up road from the bridge. $10 to park near the path.
Let me know if you need more information.
I can take you out on a day trip.

Last edited:

Pyrofx

Jan 7, 2016
Needles Ca
Detector(s) used
Goldbug 2 keene a52, GOLD HOG RIVER SLUICE, home built 6 x 60 recirc high banker, Gold cube, Miller table....and a pan or two
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How does that compare to the Bear. We're looking for anot her place to look. But not a place butt cold and a place we're going to die while having fun.
Greg

infotraker

Dec 20, 2013
Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pennyweight bar is located on a inside bend on a safe part of the river, easy panning and sluicing. More sluicing spots around the corner of the bar. Very scenic spot, 20 to 30 easy minutes to the bar. You cross a small creek and there is a 20 feet rough area but easily manageable. I have been with kids and older friends that had no trouble getting there. Gold is similar to the bear, the. Ore you move gravel the more gold. Gold is dust to small flakes.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Auburn recreation area right out of Auburn is yet another, Foresthill drive to Drivers Flats camp ground and lots of area to work both up and down the river. GOOGLE BLM and there is a list and directions for quite a few places like Purdone Crossing also right out of Nevada city. John

Pyrofx

Jan 7, 2016
Needles Ca
Detector(s) used
Goldbug 2 keene a52, GOLD HOG RIVER SLUICE, home built 6 x 60 recirc high banker, Gold cube, Miller table....and a pan or two
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you get to Coloma/Lotus area get in touch with the local prospecting supply.
Mother Lode Prospecting and Adventure Supply

Mlpas.com
Local guy with lots of knowledge or the hobby and the area. His name is Jarrod.

Greg

Last edited:

Pyrofx

Jan 7, 2016
Needles Ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know.... I'll always call ya Jacob. My second in command for 10 years was Jacob.
You think that's bad.... My first wife was Tracy, my current wife is Stacy.
:dontknow:
But yes, talk to Jarrod.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The flow on the NFAR has dropped from ~ 2400 CFS to 2000 CFA as of this morning and it should be chilly............63bkpkr

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh it's chilly alright!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

Daz_h

Jun 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys I really appreciate the advice and help. I will definitely head to the prospecting shops and once I have some dates and transport sorted I will let you know my plans.

I know it is likely a complex question but what is the general rule of thumb when panning over here in the US, is it fine if it is in state park and ask permission on private land or do I need to purchase a license or anything like that? In the U.K. It is a big grey area and is technically illegal unless in certain areas but people do it anyway.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NorCal politics, some forest rangers/park rangers are dead set against any type of prospecting though they are happy to charge you for parking. You will need to look into each place you go to as the requirements vary - some places regulate, legal or not, what can and can not be used and I've heard that includes shovels. It's really nuts! The good folks at the prospecting shops should be able to give you up to date information on the area you wish to go to. Having knowledge of written laws and copies of those laws with you has proven helpful when approached by enforcement agents.......63bkpkr

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Panning is pretty much legal everywhere. There are some places that have rules about how you get dirt in the pan. Coloma state park is hands and pans only. Auburn State rec. area is in limbo right now.
You can do a lot on private land and claims. But, with out expressed written permission you don't go on claims or private land to dig.

n01d3x

Apr 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd recommend driving a bit further than the Bear. Half a gram a day on the Bear is a good day. I was getting a gram a day when the river was super low and community holes were deep. I think half a gram a day on the South Yuba is on the lower side of average for a full day. Purdon Crossing, Edwards crossing or the South Yuba Primitive Camp if you're up for a hike. Any where along this stretch you will see naked hippies, but the gold is good. The gold is generally chunkier on the South Yuba than on the Bear. Mineral Bar on the American is ok too, but in my experience a lot more spotty.

gldguy1

Apr 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Panning is pretty much legal everywhere. There are some places that have rules about how you get dirt in the pan. Coloma state park is hands and pans only. Auburn State rec. area is in limbo right now.
You can do a lot on private land and claims. But, with out expressed written permission you don't go on claims or private land to dig.

Is the asra still in limbo? I have herd they made it hands and pans only as of Jan 1. I keep hearing different rules. The state website of course says hands and pans but a bunch of different people I talk to said it's not official. I'm confused lol

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the asra still in limbo? I have herd they made it hands and pans only as of Jan 1. I keep hearing different rules. The state website of course says hands and pans but a bunch of different people I talk to said it's not official. I'm confused lol
the ranger that came to our campsite last weekend assured us that ASRA was hands and pans only. We had a sluice box at our camp so he let us know "his" rules. 😐

gldguy1

Apr 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the ranger that came to our campsite last weekend assured us that ASRA was hands and pans only. We had a sluice box at our camp so he let us know "his" rules. [emoji52]

That is so lame, stupid rules

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
........"Whilst'.... I really like that word. Um, whilst in Calif. as long as you don't infringe on somebodies mining claim, and each claim should be well marked, and since your stay here is just for a few months I would just go for it and push the limits. One hand on your pan, the other hand with the "finger of independence" raised above your head. After all, by the time your court date comes up you should be back in Scotland and Wales and just pretty much ignore that ticket/appear in court thing. Enjoy your trip. Now on the other hand if you want to take a longer weekend trip to S.W Oregon (about 7 hours North from the Bay Area) let me know and Ill fix you up in a spare travel trailer (RV) over-night and mining on a choice of three claims..your pick and for free. Just bring beer.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what I mean by limbo is that the change was pushed internally and because ASRA isn't a "state park" people are fighting it and it isn't set in stone.

Agency pushes for gold prospecting restrictions

Technically there is federal pre-emption but, we all know how that goes. The best parts of ASRA are not the place to send someone their first time panning in Ca. anyways.

Getting in trouble while your here on a passport is not a very good idea either.

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 14" Pan, Garrett 15" Super Sluice Pan, Bazooka 36" Sniper,
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you end up in the Grass Valley area you can go to Harrington & Baldwin Mining and they'll have some places you can go wether on the Yuba or elsewhere in the area. Plus, the town is full of mining history.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread