Rookie Gold! - Page 6
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Like Tree343Likes

Thread: Rookie Gold!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10672 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by et1955 View Post
    I remember finding my first ounce of gold and had it in a glass container and while holding it in my hand it slipped and hit the metal rail on my chair, it exploded all on me and the shag carpet below, I froze, what do I do now, any guesses what I did.
    Cut out the carpet?

Charter Member
    us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Equinox 800
    927 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinInColorado View Post
    Cut out the carpet?
    I did when I moved out, they were going to replace it so I offered to pull the carpet for them.
    Gold4Mike and KevinInColorado like this.

us
    May 2017
    Mount Vernon, Washington
    Angus Mackirk Foreman Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer Gold Hog Piglet highbanker Home made slate miller table
    471 times
    Prospecting
    Lol, I vacuumed again and got more gold. I guess I will keep vacuuming until I come up empty. It's easier than going to the river!

us
    May 2017
    Mount Vernon, Washington
    Angus Mackirk Foreman Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer Gold Hog Piglet highbanker Home made slate miller table
    471 times
    Prospecting
    I got the chance this past weekend to appreciate my wife. Not because she came out digging with me, which she does a lot, but because she didn't. I just can't get as much done by myself. Wifey stayed home and I headed out for some exploring. I wanted to check out a creek tributary to our normal Nooksack spot. I hiked up a bit to a spot on the Skookum creek, but with the recent rains it was just too high to try and set up the sluice or do any digging. I did see some spots that I will return to in lower water conditions.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3742 (2).jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	3.56 MB 
ID:	1703378 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3745 (2).JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	5.20 MB 
ID:	1703379 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3748 (2).jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	3.05 MB 
ID:	1703380
    Instead I went to our usual river bar and tested a couple spots. This is where wifey would have come in handy, digging while I'm sluicing or sluicing while I'm digging. Those of you who do this solo, I tip my hat to you! I was only able to test a couple spots, sluice them, clean them up to finish checking later, before I ran out of time.

Each side of the dime is about 3 gallons of classified. I am thinking of taking the Piglet back to the spot where I got the gold on the left. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3783.JPG 
Size:	5.12 MB 
ID:	1703381

Charter Member
    us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Equinox 800
    927 times
    Prospecting
    I would love to get way back there on skookum creek, an old timer told me that he found some nice nuggets there but you need to get way back near MT. Baker. Just a suggestion, when high, test high, I get my best gold way up the bank and also consider testing the moss for gold too.
    Gold4Mike, OwenT and Denny45 like this.

us
    May 2017
    Mount Vernon, Washington
    471 times
    Prospecting
    Ed, I've heard some of those stories too from some locals. Like most places around here, the roads are all gated and would mean quite a walk in. Still thinking about that electric bike idea of yours!
    et1955 likes this.

us
    Feb 2015
    Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
    605 times
    Prospecting

Rookie Gold!

I just saw a photo from the early 1900s of miners with a small rocker on Skookum creek. It's on the DNR website under rockhounding. https://www.dnr.wa.gov/rockhounding#gold-panning

Of course thereís more than one skookum creek in WA but itís probably the same one.
    Last edited by OwenT; Apr 16, 2019 at 02:00 PM.
    et1955 and Gold4Mike like this.

us
    May 2017
    Mount Vernon, Washington
    471 times
    Prospecting
    Wife and I and some friends spent a day over in the Blewett area this weekend and did pretty well.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3878 (2).jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	4.10 MB 
ID:	1709800 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3865 (2).jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	3.77 MB 
ID:	1709799 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0947.jpg 
Size:	2.83 MB 
ID:	1709798
    Wife and I got our biggest flake to date, unfortunately we found some gold covered in mercury (FDR is looking at them).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3901 (2).JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	4.23 MB 
ID:	1709802
    Keeping it under water until I decide how to deal with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0957.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	1709801  
    RTR, AllenJ, arizau and 3 others like this.

us
    Jan 2016
    South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
    F2
    2037 times
    Prospecting
    Just keep it seperate until you want to deal with it. It's not too uncommon for guys to get some mercury covered gold.
    I set mine out in the sun in my gold pan and let the mercury fume off.

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10672 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnybravo300 View Post
    Just keep it seperate until you want to deal with it. It's not too uncommon for guys to get some mercury covered gold.
    I set mine out in the sun in my gold pan and let the mercury fume off.
    ...which leads to it recondensing a couple feet away and falling back to the ground where your kids and pets will interact with it. Nope, just nope.

us
    May 2017
    Mount Vernon, Washington
    471 times
    Prospecting
    Sounds like the best thing to do is to put what I think is mercury covered into a vial of water with my other piece until I decide what to do. I don't know anyone with a retort nor does it seem worth it to buy one for the little bit of mercury I have. The day weighed out at .22 grams though!

Charter Member
    us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Equinox 800
    927 times
    Prospecting
    Hi Mike, you just learned a lesson, when I first found mercury coated gold I thought it was silver and that was way back in the early 1990's, it was the small flakes that were infected, did not think to separate it from the 1/4 to 1/2 inch flakes I found with them, well lesson learned the mercury migrated to the larger pieces, my solution was nitric acid to clean the gold, warning don't spill nitric acid on your carpet, if you ever saw the movie Alien you know what I mean.
    Gold4Mike and winners58 like this.

us
    May 2017
    Mount Vernon, Washington
    471 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by et1955 View Post
    Hi Mike, you just learned a lesson, when I first found mercury coated gold I thought it was silver and that was way back in the early 1990's, it was the small flakes that were infected, did not think to separate it from the 1/4 to 1/2 inch flakes I found with them, well lesson learned the mercury migrated to the larger pieces, my solution was nitric acid to clean the gold, warning don't spill nitric acid on your carpet, if you ever saw the movie Alien you know what I mean.
    That doesn't seem to be that easy of a process either.

us
    Northern California

Aug 2007
    Southern California
    XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
    4549 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I think et1955 just came up with the solution to his having broken a bottle of gold that spilled all over his carpet and how to find it.

I suspect FDR was actually cursing Mercury Dimes as they looked better than his dime and as long as he could grab all the Mercury coated Gold he could get his hands on he would not have cared about any coating on it.

Sorry, it's just been Way Too Long since I've been out in the mountains and my mind is all twisted up with puns!............63bkpkr

Superb pictures of the prospecting location!
    Out searching w/GMT & friend under my arm

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    10672 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold4Mike View Post
    That doesn't seem to be that easy of a process either.
    Iíve used both a retort and nitric acid. The acid is cheaper and easier.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Sponsored Links