Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer
Gold Hog Piglet highbanker
Home made slate miller table
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My wife and I got our first gold on the South Fork of the Nooksack today. It's not much, but we only ran about 1 five gallon bucket of gravel classified to 1/8 and run through a Angus Mackirk Foreman sluice. I had trouble getting the sluice to run right so there was a lot of time wasted, so I'm pretty happy with what we got, and yes I did the happy gold dance, which wasted more time. The gold looks bigger in person! IMG_0269.JPG

Upvote 11

Au dave

Aug 5, 2015
Eastern Victoria
Detector(s) used
Home made drop riffle, 'zook' mini prospector, 'zook' sniper
Primary Interest:
Other
it all adds up .. and it looks like you need to season the pan a bit more .. the water shouldn't bead like that

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Congrats Mike...:occasion14:

The S. Fork of the Nookie is always good for some flood gold. Not sure
where you went, but if you drop me a PM I'll suggest a couple spots
I've had some success at in the past.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
scratch the pan up real good, it help a lot when you are trying to separate the gold. either coarse sand paper or gravel, more scratches the better. at the bottom of the pan and the riffles is the best. keep the small stuff from escaping

Last edited:

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The best part of this episode was having your wife with you. Best mining partner you can find.

OP
OP
G

Gold4Mike

May 10, 2017
Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The best part of this episode was having your wife with you. Best mining partner you can find.

Yep, I'm turning her into quite the digger! We went out to the same place again today and got this in about two hours. I got the easy job of feeding the sluice.:laughing7: IMG_0299.JPG View attachment IMG_0288.jpg

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
That pan looks good Mike. Our team works about the same. The wife feeds the sluice and I am the digger.

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great job in finding gold on the S.F, not easy, I have been mining on that river since 1996 after the big flood. As you have learned getting a sluice to run on that river is very hard and when you can it is not near where the gold is, as you know the river runs very flat. If you are serious on getting the gold then on that river a highbanker is the only way to go, I get 1 to 2 grams a day there. Also when you classify don't go past 1/2 inch, 1/4inch flakes are common there. This is a good river to learn how to mine, master it before you move on and if need advice ask.

OP
OP
G

Gold4Mike

May 10, 2017
Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great job in finding gold on the S.F, not easy, I have been mining on that river since 1996 after the big flood. As you have learned getting a sluice to run on that river is very hard and when you can it is not near where the gold is, as you know the river runs very flat. If you are serious on getting the gold then on that river a highbanker is the only way to go, I get 1 to 2 grams a day there. Also when you classify don't go past 1/2 inch, 1/4inch flakes are common there. This is a good river to learn how to mine, master it before you move on and if need advice ask.

Thanks Ed, we have found it a dandy place to practice, learning where to dig and sluice and it's only a quick 30 minute drive from our house. Thanks for the tip on classifying, we have been going down to 1/8 inch :BangHead: We will certainly change that.

ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 & Excal II, Tesoro SandShark, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome. Welcome to the club!

OP
OP
G

Gold4Mike

May 10, 2017
Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
IMG_0379.JPG
Got this in about 6 hours on the Nooksack. Includes our biggest flake so far! Each trip gets a little better and learning new stuff each time.

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great job Mike, once you learn all those indicators for where the gold is deposited your days take will increase and require less effort and time. I did go up Sunday to that old hydraulic mine on the Sultan, my new electric bike worked great and made that 3 mile trip in apiece of cake. Got to spend more time getting lost trying to find the trail in there, so over grown but I finally found the place. Decided to do a little fishing first just to cool off, caught a couple nice trout for dinner, Yum. Next I climbed up tp the dig sight, 20170702_123956.jpg 20170702_125123.jpg I also found a homemade rocker box, 20170702_100753.jpg I may get it up and running again, who ever made it hasn't been there in over 2 years since I was last there. This is of the gold I got in 6 pans of unclassified material, 20170704_154451a.jpg , notice the red stain on some of the gold, what does that tell you ? Feel free ask me more questions, ED

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

Gold4Mike

May 10, 2017
Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice! Looks like the trip was worth it. I like the electric bike idea! The red spots? I'm thinking some other sort of mineral still attached to the gold. A little rusty iron? Does that mean the gold was found relatively close to where it was deposited because it hasn't travelled far enough to have the other stuff worn off?

OP
OP
G

Gold4Mike

May 10, 2017
Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My wife and I got the opportunity to travel to Central Washington gold country this past week. I had a 4 day conference in Leavenworth and we were able to sneak away a couple times to try out a couple of streams. We got skunked at our first attempt on a small stream in the Entiat drainage, but had a good time. Our second attempt resulted in some color from a tributary to the Peshastin! It isn't a whole lot, but we only had a couple hours to play. We'd like to go back with more time. Zoomed in, I noticed the gold is a lot more coarse than our home stream produces. IMG_0432.JPG View attachment IMG_0415.jpg

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great job, the more places you mine the better you will get. Good call on the coarseness of the gold, in time you will be able tell witch river the gold came from not only by the coarseness but by color too.

OP
OP
G

Gold4Mike

May 10, 2017
Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Didn't get this posted right away because my wife and I took off on vaca the day after we dug this. After coming back from the Leavenworth area we got the urge to hit the local stream again and got this in about 3 hours of digging and sluicing. Nothing real big, but it's kind of fun to look back at our first few outings where we were excited about 5-10 specks. Nothing like sleeping on the Amtrak the day after working hard! IMG_0437.JPG

OP
OP
G

Gold4Mike

May 10, 2017
Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My wife and I got out a couple times this past week. We went up to a trib of the Skykomish River with her brother. He said he'd found some gold up there a few years back so we thought we'd go see. Well, we ran probable 4-5 buckets in a beautiful canyon area with some bedrock showing. Only got about 6 or 7 small specks of gold, but we found butt loads of garnets, garnet gravel, garnet sand and garnet soup:icon_scratch:. This stuff was really hard to process but it was interesting to see all the red in the sluice, pan, etc, and we did find a few larger chunks. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do with garnets?
A few days later we headed out to the Nooksack and ran about 5 buckets and got this. Not a lot, but we were excited to see more of the bigger flakes. We feel we are figuring out where best to spend our time digging.:headbang:
Sorry if the photos aren't quite where they should be, can't quite figure this program out.

Attachments

• IMAG0638.jpg
    IMAG0638.jpg
    579.2 KB · Views: 374
  • IMAG0644.jpg
    IMAG0644.jpg
    756.4 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_0639.JPG
    IMG_0639.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 397

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds like you were on the N.F. of the Sky, great job in finding some gold there, next time you are in the area let me know and I will lead you to richer areas. I have been going to that area since the late 60's. Always a lot of garnets in that area not really worth collecting but if you go Rapid river near the town of Skykomish, you will find 1/2 inch garnets. I ran a bucket threw my sluice up there and it turned blood red full of garnets.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread