Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1/2 and 1/8 is all you need for field sluicing. Anything smaller is for cleanup. I like to use a 20 mesh before I finish pan my concentrates. I only use smaller mesh for re running all my saved cons for the year thru the Gold Cube

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So your in our state, what river's are you mining ? 1/2 inch is all you need if you are mining in western Washington running a sluice. All you really need is a shovel and a pan to develop the skill to find gold in this state but it is not easy. There is no equipment out there that will take the place of experience.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It depends on the size gold you will encounter. I usually don't classify but when I do and I know nothing will be larger that 20 mesh I go with that. Next step up is a 12 the up to 1/2. No sense sorting and then resorting. i quick scan the screen before I toss it and try to slump all toss outs into one pile. Then occasinally will take a sample pan out of the pile if I think about it.

OP
OP
G

Gold4Mike

May 10, 2017
Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer
Gold Hog Piglet highbanker
Home made slate miller table
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So your in our state, what river's are you mining ? 1/2 inch is all you need if you are mining in western Washington running a sluice. All you really need is a shovel and a pan to develop the skill to find gold in this state but it is not easy. There is no equipment out there that will take the place of experience.

Been to the South Fork Nooksack a couple times because it's so close to where we live and it's a good training ground. I've been learning to set up my Angus Mackirk sluice, still don't have it running like it should, so processing concentrates are a little slow, but we have gotten a little something every time. We do plan on spreading out this summer and trying Canyon Creek and maybe a few spots around Blewett Pass. Also thinking of making a diy miller table so I am holding on to concentrates to run again. I am thinking I'll need to classify down to make that work right.

OP
OP
G

Gold4Mike

May 10, 2017
Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Actually also curious about what mesh sizes people like to prepare for final panning, miller table or other final processing. I think I'll be dealing with a lot of flour gold so a smaller mesh would be useful to finish panning or miller table? Curious what people are using for those.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
50, 70,100. The problem with smaller mesh is time. Those smaller mesh screens take much longer to process. I find that dry classifying the smaller mesh is preferable. Using vibration seems to be easier. 12v on ebay for 5 bucks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I further classify to run my cons through my blue bowl down to 50- and green bowl the 1/8"-50+ as fast and ez and my roses love them black sands. There are always exceptions as just talking in general only.-John

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For beach sands, I go to windowscreen ~#16 to get out most of the organics. I also deal with fine gravel in the beach from 3/4"- +16. The big stuff gets saved in a bucket for check panning and once in awhile you get something. The rest goes through the fluid bed.

For local rivers, I run with 1/4"-1/8".

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your kitchen sieve is likely around 20 mesh. I like to use my 20 mesh seive after the pan is down to black sand but first checked for pickers. I always check what the seive catches for gems, diamond is occasionally found in my area. Never found one myself, yet.

OP
OP
G

Gold4Mike

May 10, 2017
Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for all the comments!

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just go down to 20 mesh when finish panning. Recently, I bought 30/50/100 mesh screens and ran some old black sand I was saving to see what I was missing by not going beyond 20. There were two or three microscopic pieces that I missed the first time around, out of what was initially probably a .3-.5 gram cleanout. My conclusion was that it wasn't worth my time to collect an extra thousandth of a gram per trip. It definitely depends on how you pan, though. It's a easier to pan material that is consistent in size.

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I recently filled in the blanks on my classifier set. I have a 1/2, 1/8, 12, 20, 40, 60 and Miller Table. Most of the gold is -12 that I've found and anything less than 60 is up to the table, which can loose gold too if not dialed in properly...right Kevin? :thumbsup:

OP
OP
G

Gold4Mike

May 10, 2017
Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I ended up ordering a 50 and 100 mesh. Those will hopefully make panning easier!

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just remember when sluicing - you don't have to necessarily classify.
There is a place for it, but many times people spend half the time screening material in order to increase their recovery rate by an immeasurable amount.
The pay off is usually not worth the effort in my opinion unless you are panning or reducing concentrates. My theory is... it's OK to let some gold back to the wild as long as a bunch of it stays in your box.

Unless you really like classifying- then knock yourself out.

If you have a good trap in your box, that gold will fall out very quickly and stay there.

OP
OP
G

Gold4Mike

May 10, 2017
Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No, I've found that pre classifying is not my favorite part. Makes me sore, lol. I've got an Angus Mackirk Foreman and if I can figure out how to set it up right, I'm hoping to be able to cut back on the need to classify, but so far I've needed to in order to not clog it up. I've also got an order in for a Grizzly.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carrying buckets of raw sample along with classifying it is Not fun. Once when I was on a good spot I used my metal detector to check each bucket for a signal, if no signal I did not process that sample batch. Later I checked the pile of "no process signal" material and did not have any additional gold in my pan. Any reasonable way to reduce the work is acceptable, in my book at least......................63bkpkr

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The specific gravity of gold is usually not appreciated enough. You can run faster/deeper water in your sluice than most people initially think. Most dredge boxes work well running deep fast water with lots of rocks.
It does depend on the style of your sluice box.

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Reasons why I classify to a 1/2inch is simple, location of the dig site versus where I can run the sluice, most times I am 50 to 100ft from the sluice. More efficient to carry 1 bucket of classified material than 10 unclassified. Another reason is because of all the clay in the material I run, not uncommon to pick up a rock covered with clay and find gold stuck to it, prewashing takes care of that. Also running material that is consistent in size prevents gold loss due to turbulence caused by large rocks rolling threw your sluice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions