Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: Large Black gold nugget found -- do I clean it?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jun 2013
    El Dorado County
    ROCKING GOLD GRABBER MINI- BGT PROSPECTOR- ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- MILLER TABLE, MULTIPLE SUCKER TUBES, VARIOUS HAND TOOLS, PANS AND CLASSIFERS, FORS GOLD PLUS, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER- DIY ROD MILL
    2477 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    banner?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    Aufisher and Asmbandits like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDoozah View Post
    The fact that homo sapiens teach genetically engineered canines tricks, on the third planet of this particular star in the Milky Way, is extremely unlikely.

us
    Jun 2017
    Virginia
    Nokta AU Goldfinder
    169 times
    Prospecting
    Thank you guys so much for your expert advice! I am going to first try and put it my rock tumbler with stainless steel shot first and then re-evaluate. I will post a video when done =)
    Last edited by AU79 Prospector; Jul 16, 2017 at 08:16 PM.

Charter Member
    us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Bounty Hunter
    570 times
    Prospecting
    Have you thought of taking it to jeweler for cleaning or at least ask for advice on cleaning it, tumbling with ball bearings might damage it since gold is so soft.
    bobw53 and Aufisher like this.

us
    Jun 2017
    Virginia
    Nokta AU Goldfinder
    169 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by et1955 View Post
    Have you thought of taking it to jeweler for cleaning or at least ask for advice on cleaning it, tumbling with ball bearings might damage it since gold is so soft.
    I've done a lot of research on this -- apparently one of the best ways to clean jewelry that does not have stones in it is actually using a tumbler with small stainless steel shot is to burnish the gold. I tested this out on my wedding band and it looks AMAZING -- nearly brand new!. Because the stainless steel shot is bigger than the crevices in the nugget , it won't burnish that part so it should remain black to give it a cool 3D look. The chemical methods will get rid of all the black -- it would be clean but with no personality as people above have pointed out. I'll post the outcome when done.
    mytimetoshine and arizau like this.

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2047 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by AU79 Prospector View Post
    I've done a lot of research on this -- apparently one of the best ways to clean jewelry that does not have stones in it is actually using a tumbler with small stainless steel shot is to burnish the gold. I tested this out on my wedding band and it looks AMAZING -- nearly brand new!. Because the stainless steel shot is bigger than the crevices in the nugget , it won't burnish that part so it should remain black to give it a cool 3D look. The chemical methods will get rid of all the black -- it would be clean but with no personality as people above have pointed out. I'll post the outcome when done.
    While your method seems to meet your satisfaction, a gentler way that is sure to preserve character and some of the coating is to tumble it in crushed pecan shells. That method is commonly used and the media is available online, maybe a local rock shop, or a store that sells reloading supplies. There may be a local pecan shelling plant in your area too(?) and you can make your own from a couple of pounds of them.

https://www.google.com/search?q=peca...olishing+media
    Last edited by arizau; Jul 16, 2017 at 09:48 PM.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

Oct 2014
    Hatch, New Mexico
    1134 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AU79 Prospector View Post
    A gold nugget and gold jewelry are MILES apart as far as properties go.. Gold is SOFT, REALLY SOFT.. A ring, 14k or so... only 14/24ths gold, 58% or so...

There is a reason that jewelry isn't 24k(100%) gold, it would never last, its almost like bubble gum... In contrast jewelry (14K) is essentially a steel girder or a
    cannon ball.

I understand wanting to keep the black pockets, that's cool. I would suggest GENTLE.. Walnut shells (there are places that sell them impregnated with
    rouge, so they polish).. All kinds of other crazy GENTLE methods out there.

Be kind to that lump of gold, those don't come along very often.
    Aufisher, arizau and et1955 like this.

Aug 2015
    638 times
    DO NOT DO ANYTHING TO IT. It's not about the gold, it's about what you found.

us
    Jun 2017
    Virginia
    Nokta AU Goldfinder
    169 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by bobw53 View Post
    A gold nugget and gold jewelry are MILES apart as far as properties go.. Gold is SOFT, REALLY SOFT.. A ring, 14k or so... only 14/24ths gold, 58% or so...

There is a reason that jewelry isn't 24k(100%) gold, it would never last, its almost like bubble gum... In contrast jewelry (14K) is essentially a steel girder or a
    cannon ball.

I understand wanting to keep the black pockets, that's cool. I would suggest GENTLE.. Walnut shells (there are places that sell them impregnated with
    rouge, so they polish).. All kinds of other crazy GENTLE methods out there.

Be kind to that lump of gold, those don't come along very often.
    Appreciate the comments. Tumbling is actually very gentle process - no gold is removed at all. I have a lot of 22K jewlery and they are cleaned up beautifully using this method. The gold nugget is close to 22K after having a jeweler look at it. I agree though, 24K stuff probably should go into a tumbler.

us
    Jan 2012
    Oregon Coast
    White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
    1700 times
    Beach mining, Metal detecting, Trading.
    What part of "Don't do anything to it and Collectors value in present condition" Don't you understand
    We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Thomas Jefferson

Which is also why we have the second
    amendment.

us
    Jun 2017
    Virginia
    Nokta AU Goldfinder
    169 times
    Prospecting
    If i was going to sell it I wouldn't touch it. No argument there.... But if I'm never going to sell it, the collectors value is not as important... I am the collector in this situation =) I probably should of stated that at the start. I really want to clean it JUST A BIT to bring out the shine a bit more because in everyday life it looks like a dirty rock. (In the perfect sunlight conditions it does shine.. it took me forever to get the right picture to post in my video).The point of the thread was to figure out what were my options. I appreciate EVERYONE's feedback. The real value of this nugget to me was the adventure of finding it--- THAT was priceless and worth far more than the $500-750 value of the nugget. That being said, if it was a 6oz nugget, I probably wouldn't clean it
    Last edited by AU79 Prospector; Jul 18, 2017 at 05:30 PM.
    bobw53 and utah mason like this.

us
    Jan 2012
    Oregon Coast
    White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
    1700 times
    Beach mining, Metal detecting, Trading.
    Well.... Your nugget do as you wish.... I'm outa here.
    mytimetoshine and Asmbandits like this.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Thomas Jefferson

Which is also why we have the second
    amendment.

Oct 2014
    Hatch, New Mexico
    1134 times
    I'd shine her up too..

Natural nugget, blah blah blah, collector value blah blah blah... It looks like a lump of coal... I'd say collector value is
    right around spot value..

Its not a particularly pretty nugget, its not a uniquely shaped nugget..

Go to show your new next door neighbor that YES there is gold in the neighborhood... Pull out your heavy black rock and he'd
    think you're crazy.

Make that little sucker pretty.. I would.

I'm sure you've all looked at this site.. There are some nuggets there, around the same size that have black pits in 'em... I'm
    going to say they shined them up.. And now they are pretty.

Medium sized natural gold nuggets for sale. Buy gold nuggets.

I'd get some wire and encapsulate it.. Like they do for some crystals, like a little wire net... and put it on my keychain.
    Clay Diggins likes this.

Dec 2016
    42 times
    NO ACID!! I agree with the others, it may have bonded to Palladium or another PT group metal. Could be a rare piece, can you do a simple specific gravity test? then have it checked out with a Mass Spec (not a XRF) Nice piece, Joe

us
    Jun 2017
    Virginia
    Nokta AU Goldfinder
    169 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by geotaughtme View Post
    NO ACID!! I agree with the others, it may have bonded to Palladium or another PT group metal. Could be a rare piece, can you do a simple specific gravity test? then have it checked out with a Mass Spec (not a XRF) Nice piece, Joe
    I just put it through the tumbler for a little bit. It looks great! (will post a video tomorrow) I compared it to my 22K jewelry and some small nearly 24K pickers -- it definitely has a slightly different color -- it must have another metal with it. Not sure how to go about finding a mass spec... maybe a university lab? I will look into it. Why not an XRF? I know these are cheaper, so maybe not as accurate?
    Clay Diggins and Assembler like this.

Mar 2016
    911 times
    That one has not moved down the stream in a very long time, there are more nearby.

...here is what I would expect the value to be if you sold it to a gold dealer.

6 grams = 92.5 grains
    $1240 / 480 grains per oz. = $2.58 per grain x 92.5 grains = $239 x say 1.15 (15% over spot due to size) = $275
    Of course the dealer will try and sell it for a bit more. That's just my convoluted way of doing things....

That value is conditional on finding a reputable buyer....more common is the guy that offers 80% spot regardless of size.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures.
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Jul 19, 2017 at 04:24 PM.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links