Large Black gold nugget found -- do I clean it?

AU79 Prospector

Jun 25, 2017
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nokta AU Goldfinder
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello everyone! First post here but long time reader :)

I recently found the biggest gold nugget of my life highbanking -- Weighing in around 6 grams. What's unusual about it is that.... it's coated with something black (manganese oxide I am guessing). My claim is in Virginia near an old hard rock mining operation.

I used soap and a toothbrush to bring out more of the gold color... but now I'm not sure what to do with it... do I clean it more? Put it in a rock tumbler? Muriatic acid? Or leave it Au natural? Would love to hear your thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_7464.JPG
    IMG_7464.JPG
    713.5 KB · Views: 4,042
  • IMG_7488.JPG
    IMG_7488.JPG
    728.5 KB · Views: 1,504
Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simple bleach will clean the oxides off ,and not tarnish it, but it really looks more like a pt. group metal to me for some reason. If so at 6 gram+- worth a pretty penny either way-John

OP
OP
A

AU79 Prospector

Jun 25, 2017
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nokta AU Goldfinder
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Simple bleach will clean the oxides off ,and not tarnish it, but it really looks more like a pt. group metal to me for some reason. If so at 6 gram+- worth a pretty penny either way-John

It's not a very good picture because I took that right before A thunderstorm so it was really dark. I am uploading a picture taken in the sunlight and it looks much more like a Gold nugget then. Thank you for the suggestion!!

Attachments

• IMG_7480.JPG
    IMG_7480.JPG
    666.7 KB · Views: 1,714

IdahoGoldGettR

Mar 13, 2014
Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The use of soap and a toothbrush seems to have done a remarkable job of taking some of the tarnish off. I have had many pieces of gold with the same manganese oxide "stain" and saw some good results cleaning them with a diluted nitric acid solution. I typically start off with a 50/50 mix of nitric acid and water, leaving the gold sit in this solution for several days or better. During such time , I do shake it once in a while (just because i can't help myself but think it helps speed up the process. Lol). It's not uncommon for me to make this solution slightly stronger but I have never pushed the envelope than using more than 2/3rds acid and 1/3rd water. Any stronger and I believe there will be risks of the acid eating away at the gold. Patience is the key here and so I suggest beginning with the weaker solution and let it work for you. Just my 2 cents on the subject . Nice nugget by the way. Cheers to you. :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice nugget! I would leave it black and then play with it every day until it glows!

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello
Nice nugget and thanks for posting.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on a nice Gold Nugget! If you ever plan on selling it in it's Nugget form, it would be best to remove the blackening from it. I say this, because it might be a hard sell with the black on it with potential Buyers questioning whether it truly is Gold.

Frank

Jordun

May 7, 2017
Edmonton canada
Detector(s) used
Just the eyes .....I don't think they would trust me with something as technical as a detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd leave it black and drop that sucker in a fishtail for safe keeping ......."no one ever checks the fish tank"

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
I would leave it as is.... It is worth more to a collector that way and a collector will know what he is buying.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would leave it as is.... It is worth more to a collector that way and a collector will know what he is buying.
John D Is absolutely correct. Do not clean it. It is worth more than 3x the gold weight as a collector specimen and they want it Aunatral

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You found a one ounce nugget and you are still drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon?
Yes Sir! Only the finest for me!

I inherited this nugget from my Dad. He found it scuba Diving/ Prospecting the middle fork of the feather river in 1958. Started a gold fever that almost divorced him from my mom :) Can you blame him?

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
banner?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

AU79 Prospector

Jun 25, 2017
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nokta AU Goldfinder
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you guys so much for your expert advice! I am going to first try and put it my rock tumbler with stainless steel shot first and then re-evaluate. I will post a video when done =)

Last edited:

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have you thought of taking it to jeweler for cleaning or at least ask for advice on cleaning it, tumbling with ball bearings might damage it since gold is so soft.

OP
OP
A

AU79 Prospector

Jun 25, 2017
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nokta AU Goldfinder
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have you thought of taking it to jeweler for cleaning or at least ask for advice on cleaning it, tumbling with ball bearings might damage it since gold is so soft.

I've done a lot of research on this -- apparently one of the best ways to clean jewelry that does not have stones in it is actually using a tumbler with small stainless steel shot is to burnish the gold. I tested this out on my wedding band and it looks AMAZING -- nearly brand new!. Because the stainless steel shot is bigger than the crevices in the nugget , it won't burnish that part so it should remain black to give it a cool 3D look. The chemical methods will get rid of all the black -- it would be clean but with no personality as people above have pointed out. I'll post the outcome when done.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've done a lot of research on this -- apparently one of the best ways to clean jewelry that does not have stones in it is actually using a tumbler with small stainless steel shot is to burnish the gold. I tested this out on my wedding band and it looks AMAZING -- nearly brand new!. Because the stainless steel shot is bigger than the crevices in the nugget , it won't burnish that part so it should remain black to give it a cool 3D look. The chemical methods will get rid of all the black -- it would be clean but with no personality as people above have pointed out. I'll post the outcome when done.

While your method seems to meet your satisfaction, a gentler way that is sure to preserve character and some of the coating is to tumble it in crushed pecan shells. That method is commonly used and the media is available online, maybe a local rock shop, or a store that sells reloading supplies. There may be a local pecan shelling plant in your area too(?) and you can make your own from a couple of pounds of them.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pec...chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=pecan+shell+polishing+media

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread