Anyone use a White's Spectrum XLT for prospecting?

Crashcrew

Apr 24, 2017
Hesperus, Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've recently acquired a White's Spectrum XLT to add to my prospecting toolbox but I'm not convinced this is a good tool for gold. I was wondering if anyone has used this for prospecting or has a specific program that I could try out. I'm in SW Colorado on the La Plata River and I know it has fine gold but I would like to find something a little more chunky! Looking for placer deposits in old riverbeds on the banks and in the canyons along the creeks. Help please....

Upvote 0

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello
Best refer to the White's manual and any other books that cover this detector on how to get to most out of this detector.

OP
OP
C

Crashcrew

Apr 24, 2017
Hesperus, Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been there and done that. I just figured out of all the people on here someone has to have one or experience with it.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think Whites Goldmaster would be a better choice for small gold.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think Whites Goldmaster would be a better choice for small gold.
Yes the Whites Goldmaster uses a Khz frequency that is more useful for small gold. However may pick up more small 'targets' as well thus making it a noisy machine and longer to learn how to use. One may have to make a choice here.
Using the Goldmaster for sampling single rocks will win hands down on all gold. Don't let this stop you from using the White's XLT detector.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As you know the XLT was built as a coin machine, as such it sounds off nicely on a Nickel or on Lead which means it will sound off on Gold as well (both Nickel & Lead can be used as sample targets in Gold Mining Highly Mineralized country).

The question is, how will the machine handle the country where gold is found? It almost seems like the machine has a prospecting menu built into it though my 'thinker' cannot recall that far back, should have a manual on the White's site you can go through and see if it has a prospecting menu............Good LUck, 63bkpkr

OP
OP
C

Crashcrew

Apr 24, 2017
Hesperus, Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does have a prospecting option which is basically an all metal mode. I don't mind hearing the thing go off constantly but I have to watch the screen to see if I get a number. Supposedly you will only get a number to show when it is marking gold. It shows a number around here everywhere but it's never a consistent hit over and over. So dig every target no matter how weak or how inconsistent? that would be a real pain since I would have to pan all of this material and have no idea if I'm digging up what it is reading. NEED HELP....PLEASE!

As you know the XLT was built as a coin machine, as such it sounds off nicely on a Nickel or on Lead which means it will sound off on Gold as well (both Nickel & Lead can be used as sample targets in Gold Mining Highly Mineralized country).

The question is, how will the machine handle the country where gold is found? It almost seems like the machine has a prospecting menu built into it though my 'thinker' cannot recall that far back, should have a manual on the White's site you can go through and see if it has a prospecting menu............Good LUck, 63bkpkr

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Use to find black sands.

It does have a prospecting option which is basically an all metal mode. I don't mind hearing the thing go off constantly but I have to watch the screen to see if I get a number. Supposedly you will only get a number to show when it is marking gold. It shows a number around here everywhere but it's never a consistent hit over and over. So dig every target no matter how weak or how inconsistent? that would be a real pain since I would have to pan all of this material and have no idea if I'm digging up what it is reading. NEED HELP....PLEASE!
Try using the XLT detector to find larger amounts of black sand the gold should be in or near the black sands if there is any gold dropped in that spot. Dig and test pan in the black sand areas to see if there is any gold.
You can also use the detector to find 'Pickers' in the rock it self. However will need a rock crusher to free the gold.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
The XLT operates at a frequency of 6.59 kHz. It is a great coin machine and will find gold but due to the lower frequency it will not detect sub gram pieces very effectively.
A good non dedicated machine is the White's MXT. It operates at 14.5 kHz and is an offshoot of White's GMT which is a dedicated gold prospecting machine and it operates at 48 kHz ...
The higher the frequency the more sensitive it will be to smaller gold.
The MXT has found a good amount of gold as well as being a very good coin and relic hunting machine.
Good luck.... and if you do find a bit of gold with the XLT you won't have any trouble seeing it....:laughing7:

OP
OP
C

Crashcrew

Apr 24, 2017
Hesperus, Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The black sand is heavy here on the La Plata River. Basically every pan has a lot of black sand so what would it sound like when a heavy concentration of black sand is found? (low on the scale or a high pitch like a quarter)

Try using the XLT detector to find larger amounts of black sand the gold should be in or near the black sands if there is any gold dropped in that spot. Dig and test pan in the black sand areas to see if there is any gold.
You can also use the detector to find 'Pickers' in the rock it self. However will need a rock crusher to free the gold.

OP
OP
C

Crashcrew

Apr 24, 2017
Hesperus, Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm completely new to detecting so don't be too harsh on me. I'm assuming I can't change the frequency on the machine I have? If not does anyone want to trade me for a better gold detecting machine? I know there is a lot of gold here and the Spanish explorers came through in the late 1700's and then the gold rush here began in the 1870"s. I know I can find some coins (I haven't yet) and I have found lots of old bullets that were never shot. I really just want to have a better experience with a machine that finds gold easier than having to dig in this rocky rocky ground with lots of hot rocks.

The XLT operates at a frequency of 6.59 kHz. It is a great coin machine and will find gold but due to the lower frequency it will not detect sub gram pieces very effectively.
A good non dedicated machine is the White's MXT. It operates at 14.5 kHz and is an offshoot of White's GMT which is a dedicated gold prospecting machine and it operates at 48 kHz ...
The higher the frequency the more sensitive it will be to smaller gold.
The MXT has found a good amount of gold as well as being a very good coin and relic hunting machine.
Good luck.... and if you do find a bit of gold with the XLT you won't have any trouble seeing it....:laughing7:

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not familiar with your area at all but it sounds like it is not XLT friendly..... with all the HEAVY mineralization and hot rocks a PI machine would probably be a better machine for the area since it can really tune out the bad ground and hot rocks.

Something you might consider though .... there is a lot more fine gold left in the world than nuggets.... You might want to set up a fine gold sluice with a nugget trap and just move some material... You might be surprised.

Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 10.15.25 AM.png 20160703_182814.jpg

OP
OP
C

Crashcrew

Apr 24, 2017
Hesperus, Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of fine gold for sure. However, this area has produced some of the purest gold along with nuggets the size of hens eggs. Some of the gold was so pure they sent it directly to the Denver mint! I think I just need to dig to bedrock....pipe dream.

I'm not familiar with your area at all but it sounds like it is not XLT friendly..... with all the HEAVY mineralization and hot rocks a PI machine would probably be a better machine for the area since it can really tune out the bad ground and hot rocks.

Something you might consider though .... there is a lot more fine gold left in the world than nuggets.... You might want to set up a fine gold sluice with a nugget trap and just move some material... You might be surprised.

View attachment 1466449 View attachment 1466450

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lots of fine gold for sure. However, this area has produced some of the purest gold along with nuggets the size of hens eggs. Some of the gold was so pure they sent it directly to the Denver mint! I think I just need to dig to bedrock....pipe dream.
Hello
You can use any detector if there are large 'Nuggets' still in the rocks itself. Best to sample one rock at a time away from the background minerals. This will also help the coil from overloading with to many targets at one time for the coil to read or pick up on. Buy the smallest coil made by whites for your machine and you could be surprised at what the 'Old timers left behind'.
If you are looking for any color a sluice box and gold pan should get you going there.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
to use the XLT for gold you'll have to get a 4" x 6" Shooter DD Search Coil 6.59 kHz
3 or 4 grains probably the smallest it would go, use headphones, use like a 1/3 gram nugget to test with.
all metal mode or search the detector forums for settings in hot areas.
it's nice to have something to check an area for the monster nugget's, never know...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread