Converting my Tripple into an Under and Over set up for my 8inch

M.E.G.

Apr 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Converting my Tripple into an Under and Over set up for my 8inch:

I am removing the CRASH BOX from my tripple, http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1327715&d=1466429995 which all 3 sluices having an approximate total of 3360 square inch of capture surface, and going to build and install it onto a new Under and Over sluice with an approximate bottom and top total of 4032 square inch of capture surface. I will be running the same 4x3 pumps and 18HP engines shown in the link. The idea is to classify the material to the lower sluice portion through punch plate to 1/2 inch minus. The exposed portion of punch plate which will be feeding the lower sluice will be approximately 28 x 20 and setting inside the crash box. The idea is to have the punch plate run above the lower sluice by about 2inches, and the full length under the miner's moss and riffles of the upper sluice to act as a type of fluid bed.

Now, I thinking of using raised expanded metal over miner's moss (or Hog Moss), over shallow ribbed matting for the lower sluice section. And possibly expanded metal over miner's moss (or Hog Moss) over the punch plate (top sluice).

Any thoughts on this set-up and/or materials used, or to be use?

Upvote 0

lbd

Oct 4, 2017
NZ and Laos
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have just converted my 8 inch U/O to side sluices....the main sluice is 28 inches.... I just could not get it dialed in to capture the flaky gold on my claim.

I feel there were several problems... sheer water volume was one... but mainly with the lower level of u/o.... because the surface of the bottom water layer is unable to move up and down due to the slide plate above... the water speed would speed and slow over each riffle with out efficient exchange of heavies

Loose the crash box for a flare... stick with the side sluices but move the outlets 18 to 24 inch further from the flare.

All IMO...

Last edited:

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was me I wouldn't mess with perfection.

ratled

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I converted my old 5" triple from a crash box to a flare and retained the side sluices. It made a significant improvement to fine gold recovery. You will need some fiberglass skills and I would recommend the screen be 1/4" not 1/2"
Construction pics on request...

Dredge_04 (Small).JPG Dredge_07 (Small).JPG Dredge_10 (Small).JPG flare 016 (Small).jpg

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I converted my old 5" triple from a crash box to a flare and retained the side sluices. It made a significant improvement to fine gold recovery. You will need some fiberglass skills and I would recommend the screen be 1/4" not 1/2"
Construction pics on request...

That dredges sucks........... :icon_thumright:

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow nice dredge. I bet having the punchplate ramped up like that helps a lot.

lbd

Oct 4, 2017
NZ and Laos
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like the curved transition into the flare... good move... but the one picture looking into the flare with the lid up, seems to show the inlet pipe protruding well into the flare almost to the punch plate... I do not understand?

What sort of recovery gain did you get with the neat paint job:thumbsup:... I have some pacer bird decals at home.. should I fit those....?:dontknow:

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like the curved transition into the flare... good move... but the one picture looking into the flare with the lid up, seems to show the inlet pipe protruding well into the flare almost to the punch plate... I do not understand?

What sort of recovery gain did you get with the neat paint job:thumbsup:... I have some pacer bird decals at home.. should I fit those....?:dontknow:

What you are actually seeing is not the jet. it's a short steel slip tube cast into the fiberglass. I hooked a 2' chunk of hose to this and then the jet in front. This way the jet will angle toward your work and give more time for classification in the hose. I took this idea from a Dahlke Mid-jet. The reason it worked so well was due to the curve. The water and slurry decelerate and classify before it crossed the punch plate. There was no turbulence, not damper was needed.

I did not quantify the gold recovery improvement but when dredging in the same places I would see about 30% more gold per day and the increase was in the fines.
The fancy paint does not effect the gold recovery but it does add 4 HP to the motor:hello2:

flare 016 (Small).jpg Flair 001 (Medium).jpg

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you are actually seeing is not the jet. it's a short steel slip tube cast into the fiberglass. I hooked a 2' chunk of hose to this and then the jet in front. This way the jet will angle toward your work and give more time for classification in the hose. I took this idea from a Dahlke Mid-jet. The reason it worked so well was due to the curve. The water and slurry decelerate and classify before it crossed the punch plate. There was no turbulence, not damper was needed.

I did not quantify the gold recovery improvement but when dredging in the same places I would see about 30% more gold per day and the increase was in the fines.
The fancy paint does not effect the gold recovery but it does add 4 HP to the motor:hello2:

View attachment 1530922 View attachment 1530924

I do believe that's the first time that I've seen that pic Dan, I didn't realise that your dredge was a mid-jet :)

lbd

Oct 4, 2017
NZ and Laos
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The reason it worked so well was due to the curve. The water and slurry decelerate and classify before it crossed the punch plate. There was no turbulence, not damper was needed.

Rest assured I will be plagiarizing the curved inlet design into my next flare...

Thanks for trying to explain the pipe... however I still do not get it... I can only see it being an obstruction that will cause blockages and turbulence....

>>>>> I think I got it... this pipe slides out towards the suction when dredging...it slides through the fiberglass<<<<< is that correct?

Attachments

• Dredge_10%20(Small).JPG
    Dredge_10%20(Small).JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I do believe that's the first time that I've seen that pic Dan, I didn't realise that your dredge was a mid-jet :)

The design secrets do come out slowly... 8-)

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Rest assured I will be plagiarizing the curved inlet design into my next flare...

Thanks for trying to explain the pipe... however I still do not get it... I can only see it being an obstruction that will cause blockages and turbulence....

>>>>> I think I got it... this pipe slides out towards the suction when dredging...it slides through the fiberglass<<<<< is that correct?

Negative... The pipe (hose adapter) is molded into the fiberglass and is not removable. It only serves as a point of connection for the hose that connects the jet. The plug-ups we saw were typical ones in the jet where the big rocks tend to tumble. If I built another it would have an oversize log. The flare only widens to the width of the main sluice. The elevation of the punch plate above the floor of the under-sluice divider is what controls the volume of water and slurry into the sides.
Flair 005_LI.jpg

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh yeah...to anyone interested...feel free to rip off my design. All I ask is you tag me with the credit.
I have declined many requests to build these because in order to make any money I would have to charge about $1k. I would need their dredge while I build because each one would be custom.

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hands down still the sexiest dredge I ever seen! I'll bet that paint job not only added 4hp but had to extend the over all run time by at least an hour!

I never get tired of seeing it

ratled

Last edited:

lbd

Oct 4, 2017
NZ and Laos
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh yeah...to anyone interested...feel free to rip off my design. All I ask is you tag me with the credit..

I have added you to my friend list... I figure you have a few clues... and I have a few tricks up my sleeve as well so we may want to compare notes occasionally...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions